Author Topic: 27 Dec 2007: "a '70s thing" sez Annalisa (1976)  (Read 4715 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: My Brother's Johnson
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »
the brothas, the brothas: be good to their Johnson, and they'll be good to you.
One of my favorites.  An awesome song.

By the by, I didn't notice anything strange about "LithFL" earlier, but I might not have been paying attention.

Maybe it was my stream buffering having an issue.  Sounds like it must have been.
\

Yep, probably so--I didn't notice it either.

This set is in the DB but as a classic. It aired June 23, 2005, and LitFL is marked as being played in the wrong year. Not sure about that--I think the album was out shortly before Xmas of 76. New Kid in Town was the first single, tho, iirc.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
This set is in the DB but as a classic. It aired June 23, 2005, and LitFL is marked as being played in the wrong year. Not sure about that--I think the album was out shortly before Xmas of 76. New Kid in Town was the first single, tho, iirc.

indeed, Dec '76 was when the LP came out, preceded by "NKIT" as a 45.  "LITFL" was the 3rd single, after "Hotel CA", somewhere around the summer of '77.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »

indeed, Dec '76 was when the LP came out, preceded by "NKIT" as a 45.  "LITFL" was the 3rd single, after "Hotel CA", somewhere around the summer of '77.

As a semi-related aside, I just heard (learned?) that the Eagles wrote "New Kid in Town" in response to Bruce Springsteen's burgeoning success.  Sad guys.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 08:55:14 PM »

As a semi-related aside, I just heard (learned?) that the Eagles wrote "New Kid in Town" in response to Bruce Springsteen's burgeoning success.  Sad guys.

"Just heard"? we discussed that here eons ago, iirc.  As Glenn Frey described NKIT, "another commentary on the music business disguised as a love song". In other words, not their first and not their last.  And a fairly clever one IMHO. Not sad at all -- I mean, their first LP came out before Bruce's, they had hit singles (unlike Bruce) and suddenly he's on the cover of Time & Newsweek and they're... not.  Perfectly reasonable reaction. ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Dec 2007: "a '70s thing" sez Annalisa (1976)
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »
12/27/2007 - Thursday....It's 1976 on 10 @ 10

1.  Steve Miller - Serenade   
2.  Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everyone   
3.  Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane   
4.  Gary Wright - Dreamweaver   
5.  Steely Dan - The Fez   
6.  Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel   
7.  Queen - You're My Best Friend   
8.  Brothers Johnson - I'll Be Good To YOu   
9.  Robert Palmer - Man Smart, Woman Smarter   
10.  George Benson - Breezin'