Author Topic: KBCO 7/13/07: 1988  (Read 4319 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KBCO 7/13/07: 1988
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »
Must John Hiatt be in EVERY late-'80s set?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 09:37:18 AM »
Lighten up, baby, I'm in love with you!  BOS2 to R. Plant, my favorite of his solo tracks.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Lighten up, baby, I'm in love with you!  BOS2 to R. Plant, my favorite of his solo tracks.

Ditto, just a fab single, and I still recall what an outcry there was from the Zep purists about the use of samples here. And now it sounds so... '80s.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »

PS: The snippet samples of LZ tracks was truly inspired.  Kinda like when Chaka and her producer snuck "Fingertips" into "I Feel For U."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »
VHM Hothouse Flowers, Morey semi-'trina tho' it may be.  At the time it got little NY airplay; I had heard it on Capital and bought the single during a trip to London.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
And speaking of queens, I'm hearing (no surprise here) that I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is HORRENDOUSLY bad.  Interestingly, I've also heard that Kevin James is the "King of Queens" in more ways than one. :wink:

I can't tell you how many times I have seen that trailer, and it gives every impression that Jessica Biel (of all people*) is the only one on the screen who can act. So I was assuming the worst.

*you may recall that I completely dissed her in The Illusionist, for example.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:12 AM »
Must John Hiatt be in EVERY late-'80s set?

I think it's a union by-law.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
And speaking of queens, I'm hearing (no surprise here) that I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is HORRENDOUSLY bad.  Interestingly, I've also heard that Kevin James is the "King of Queens" in more ways than one. :wink:

I can't tell you how many times I have seen that trailer, and it gives every impression that Jessica Biel (of all people*) is the only one on the screen who can act. So I was assuming the worst.

*you may recall that I completely dissed her in The Illusionist, for example.

Well, obviously Kevin James can act, since he's convinced America he's a blue-collar straight guy :wink: .  But I'm especially disappointed because the concept has great potential (it's basically La Cage/Birdcage in reverse). The orig script was written by Alexander Payne, of all people (Sideways, Election, About Schmidt, Citizen Ruth) but apparently H'wood then took it and dumbed it down... WAAAAAAY down.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »
But I'm especially disappointed because the concept has great potential (it's basically La Cage/Birdcage in reverse).

I, on the other hand, am very humorless about the concept.  So I've kept it way off my radar.  Next movie I see will be Sicko, obvs.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
I, on the other hand, am very humorless about the concept.  So I've kept it way off my radar.  Next movie I see will be Sicko, obvs.

My new boss, who's a canuck, saw it and recommends it highly.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »
But I'm especially disappointed because the concept has great potential (it's basically La Cage/Birdcage in reverse).

when I say "concept", James and Sandler don't enter into it -- there's potential for a clever (yet Middle-America-pleasing) examination of homophobia there (think In & Out). And I'm sure that's what Payne was going for originally.  But H'wood doesn't want to make the fratboys uncomfortable.