Author Topic: The Peak, 8/30/06: 1977  (Read 1594 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Peak, 8/30/06: 1977
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:51 AM »
damn, missed Southside Johnny's FAB-ulous "Love on the Wrong Side of Town", a TOTHC to end all TOTHCs.

OMG! Dean Friedman, "Ariel"!!! BOS!

"I said 'Hi!'... she said 'yeah, I think I am'"

That totally made my week. Gaz, I can't believe you don't absolutely love this song.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Peak, 8/30/06: 1977
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »
Southside Johnny/Asbury Jukes - Love On the Wrong Side of Town
David Bowie - Sound And Vision
Little Feat - Red Streamliner
Bob Marley - Jamming
Eddie And The Hot Rods - Do Anything You Wanna Do
Steely Dan - Deacon Blues
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
Dean Friedman - Ariel
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Blondie - (I'm Always Touched By Your)Presence, Dear

And THAT, my friends, is a 1977 set for the ages!  Especially if you're from NY. BOS2 Blondie ("it's really not cheating") and dammit I missed Eddie & the HotRods too.  I URGE y'all to check this one out tonite.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, 8/30/06: 1977
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:44:42 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
damn, missed Southside Johnny's FAB-ulous "Love on the Wrong Side of Town", a TOTHC to end all TOTHCs.

That totally made my week. Gaz, I can't believe you don't absolutely love this song.

I see no way to catch the replay tonight, but each of the songs you've mentioned would totally make me try to under any other circumstances, as would the Little Feat & the Blondie.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I see no way to catch the replay tonight, but each of the songs you've mentioned would totally make me try to under any other circumstances, as would the Little Feat & the Blondie.

Was "Ariel" a hit in the midwest?  It got to around #27 or 28 nationally, and it's awash in local NYC references.  He was on Lifesong, the Cashman & West label whose biggest hit, I think, was Henry Gross's "Shannon".

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:50 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Was "Ariel" a hit in the midwest?  It got to around #27 or 28 nationally, and it's awash in local NYC references.  He was on Lifesong, the Cashman & West label whose biggest hit, I think, was Henry Gross's "Shannon".

Sure it was.  Interestingly, I had always paired "Shannon" & "Ariel" in my mind, even as a 14-year-old, but until now I didn't know they had any connection.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010