Author Topic: 16 June 2011: It's... 1993  (Read 9575 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 16 June 2011: It's... 1993
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hiatt attacks!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »
"Cannonball" -- another Live 105 fave

An AL fave, too.  Would've preferred something else off of Last Splash.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
6/16/11- Thursday!! A Sweet Stop in...1993!!
  1.  Depeche Mode - I Feel You
  2.  Tears for Fears - Break It Down Again
(News: Anchors Dan Rather & Connie Chung)
  3.  World Party - Is It Like Today?
  4.  Big Head Todd & the Monsters - Bittersweet (B.O.S!!)
(Movie: Mrs. Doubtfire)
  5.  New Order - Regret
  6.  Freddy Jones Band - In a Daydream
  7.  Tasmin Archer - Sleeping Satellite
(Tech News: Connecting to the Internet)
   8.  Stereo MC's - Connected
(Ad: AT & T---you will)
  9.  Breeders - Cannonball
10.  John Hiatt - Perfectly Good Guitar

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Nothing out of the ordinary but still a pretty epic '93 set, imo.  Only one I really wish wasn't there was the Breeders.  On a bad day the Stereo MC's would annoy me too...but they sounded pretty good on 10@10 today. BOS's, in descending order, to New Order, John Hiatt (LOVE PGG...my second fav. by him, after Master of Disaster), TFF (pretty 'trina-tastic...does seem 10@10 is the only place on any station we hear that particular song, though), Depeche Mode, Freddy Jones Band, & Big Head Todd/Monsters (they have their share of snoozers, but Bittersweet, although overplayed, ain't one of them.)  I like Sleeping Satellite but wish they'd play something besides that...in fact, does Tasmin Archer even have anything else?  I would've loved to hear the Captain Hollywood Project.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Nothing out of the ordinary but still a pretty epic '93 set, imo.  Only one I really wish wasn't there was the Breeders.  On a bad day the Stereo MC's would annoy me too...but they sounded pretty good on 10@10 today. BOS's, in descending order, to New Order, John Hiatt (LOVE PGG...my second fav. by him, after Master of Disaster), TFF (pretty 'trina-tastic...does seem 10@10 is the only place on any station we hear that particular song, though), Depeche Mode, Freddy Jones Band, & Big Head Todd/Monsters (they have their share of snoozers, but Bittersweet, although overplayed, ain't one of them.)  I like Sleeping Satellite but wish they'd play something besides that...in fact, does Tasmin Archer even have anything else?  I would've loved to hear the Captain Hollywood Project.

I don't think any other Archer song got significant airplay, but I really enjoyed "Arienne" (made #13 on my personal chart that year), as well as "Lords Of The New Church", "Steeltown", "Somebody's Daughter", and "Halfway To Heaven" off of the same Great Expectations album. Her EP "Shipbuilding" featured a cover of "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror".

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 16 June 2011: It's...another surprise set
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »
Per AL's FB page, Scott Fisher is running nude thru the woods in Tennessee. Ewww!

Thanks for ruining my morning.

Now there's a mental image I really did NOT need to have.

Not a bad set but very up and down, with lots of Moreyesque components (i.e. World Party, Stereo MCs, TFF, Tasmin Archer, Hiatt, and Big Head Todd and the Yawnsters). Wish I'd stuck around for the Breeders cut--it would have been my BOS.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
I'm somewhat surprised sir at your recent adverse reactions to Mr. Hiatt.  How long have you felt this way?  Here I thought JH was a well-respected songwriter!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 09:53:18 AM »
I'm somewhat surprised sir at your recent adverse reactions to Mr. Hiatt.  How long have you felt this way?  Here I thought JH was a well-respected songwriter!

Well, I'm admittedly "going with the flow" of majority opinion here. I was a fan back in the day, and I'd LOVE for AL to play Rodney Crowell's cover of "She Loves the Jerk" some day. But he's like a lot of Triple-A format artists that KFOG (over)plays: I'm just tired of him.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round