Author Topic: 24 Sept 2009: yikes, it's 1987  (Read 6241 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 24 Sept 2009: yikes, it's 1987
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
good one from the Stranglers -- I don't know them that well, but don't think they were not on top of their game in this period in general..?

Always The Sun

They've def. done better (Peaches, Ghost Train), but this is working well in the context of this set. BOS here.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
I liked this set... if it was supposed to capture the times and feeling of whatever 1987 was, it mostly did the job for me --- except for the Pat Metheny and Tom Petty.  Those two weren't on my radar back then, and I don't know what pop or rock stations I was listening to would have actually play the Pat Metheny.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
I don't know what pop or rock stations I was listening to would have actually play the Pat Metheny.

Don't know if it was a single, but the "smooth jazz" format was just starting to take off then iirc.  It's a track that of course became better-known as an Amtrak commercial some years later.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »
9/24/09 - Thursday!  Time in...1987!!

1.  Genesis - Land of Confusion
(News:  Reagan:  Iran Contra)
   2.  Yes - Love Will Find a Way
   3.  The Sugar Cubes - Birthday
(CBS News Promo)
   4.  Pat Metheny - Last Train Home (BOS!)
   5.  Tom Petty - Runaway Trains
(TV:  Max Headroom)
   6.  Depeche Mode - Behind the Wheel
   7.  Icehouse - Crazy
(Movie:  Dirty Dancing)
   8.  Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes - (I've Had) The Time of My Life
(Movie:  Dirty Dancing)
   9.  Def Leppard - Animal
(News:  Tammy Faye/Charles Kuralt)
  10.  Stranglers - Always the Sun

BONUS TRACK:  Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love

I really enjoyed it!  (Except for Yes...) 
Good mix of genres.
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »
BOS Genesis, honorable mention to Icehouse.

Song I'd love to hear in this set, but will probably never happen: "The Honeythief" by Hipsway.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 11:39:03 PM »
Great set!  ;D I was driving back in the fog & was about to get home when "Last Train Home" came on.  That sounded like such a good driving song so I made myself a scenic route & didn't get back home again until "Time of My Life."

Her previous 1987 (and most all of Dave's) had some good tracks but sounded for the most part like what you'd get when a Hot AC station did an 80s hour.  This one threw quite a few loops (and so many, in fact, that it was actually refreshing to hear "Time of My Life!")

I didn't realize Bjork was back then.  And I also didn't realize that POD ripped off that song for "Youth of the Nation"!  :o

Kudos to her for playing one of Tom Petty's only two good songs. (The other being "Learning to Fly.")

BOS's, in order starting with BBOS: Pat Metheny, Genesis, Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes, Icehouse, Depeche Mode, Tom Petty, The Stranglers.  If I didn't have so many BOS's, then I'd have given VHM's to The Sugar Cubes and Yes (which I agree was a bit corny, but did 1987 quite well IMO.)  Don't care much for Def Leppard but this one wasn't bad enough to get a WOS.