Author Topic: Monday May 2 - 1987 -Happy Birthdays Rod and Mike!  (Read 15283 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday May 2 - 1987 -Happy Birthdays Rod and Mike!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 10:36:27 AM »
VHM to Finest Worksong.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 10:36:52 AM »
Quote from: "yessongs"
Hmmm...  I'm still waiting for ONE song that I like.
If this song had been "Where the Streets have No Name" instead of this one, that would have been it!!

Rich!!!!  Way to go posting appropriately :lol: I like REM's "Finest Work Song".  Does it do it for you?  First good song?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 10:44:37 AM »
Did everyone (especially Gaz) hear that "A to Z" promo just now -- note that a snippet of "Ride the Tiger" was in there. Anyone remember if that song was actually played in any past "A to Z"s?

Thanks to all for the B-day wishes! I'm off to Chinatown for a bit o' Dim Sum.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 10:45:09 AM »
I was curious about Chris Isaak's "Fade Away", and after checking I think it must be true that this is the most common song title in the Pop/Rock catalog.  There are well over 100 different songs with this title in the Allmusic list.  And that doesn't include the 148 occurrences of "Not Fade Away".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 10:49:33 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "yessongs"
Hmmm...  I'm still waiting for ONE song that I like.
If this song had been "Where the Streets have No Name" instead of this one, that would have been it!!

Rich!!!!  Way to go posting appropriately :lol: I like REM's "Finest Work Song".  Does it do it for you?  First good song?

Not really...   :(
I agree it's a good song but I just don't like REM.  I find their music catchy but irritating.   :wink:
Now I'm eight bits...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 10:55:07 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Did everyone (especially Gaz) hear that "A to Z" promo just now -- note that a snippet of "Ride the Tiger" was in there. Anyone remember if that song was actually played in any past "A to Z"s?

Yep, it was song #1217, right between "Rhiannon" & "Riders On The Storm".

Assuming they go at least as long as last year I'll miss 5 days becasue of business travel, which sucks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 11:16:03 AM »
Birthday addendum:

Got 2 emails this morning -- first, a KFOG-generated message saying "Happy Birthday, here's your 10@10 Orchestra Leader's baton" (this must be new, never got one before and I've been a registered Foghead forever). And second, a personal email from Dave saying, "sorry, its 1987 today" but promising to play the Barbara Acklin song in a future set.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 11:18:55 AM »
And second, a personal email from Dave saying, "sorry, its 1987 today" but promising to play the Barbara Acklin song in a future set.

LOL! That's pretty funny.

But, this indicates to me that Dave is a'lurkin like a gerkin here. Hi, Dave!

(Unless you called to castigate him about playing a 1987 set on yer b-day, RGMike!)
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 11:27:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Birthday addendum:

Got 2 emails this morning -- first, a KFOG-generated message saying "Happy Birthday, here's your 10@10 Orchestra Leader's baton" (this must be new, never got one before and I've been a registered Foghead forever). And second, a personal email from Dave saying, "sorry, its 1987 today" but promising to play the Barbara Acklin song in a future set.

See, he likes you!  He really likes you!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 02:39:01 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
And second, a personal email from Dave saying, "sorry, its 1987 today" but promising to play the Barbara Acklin song in a future set.

(Unless you called to castigate him about playing a 1987 set on yer b-day, RGMike!)

But the real question is: who are all these pickles that are reading our posts, and why don't they every say anything?  :)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »
Is anyone keeping stats to determine if we've got lurkers in this hizzle?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"

Actually the email was datestamped 4:30 am today so I don't think our comments here entered into it.  And I didn't call to complain.  I did, however, give him three weeks advance notice, which obviously wasn't enough. :roll:  

I've given up trying to figure out why Dave honors some requests and not others. But I had a swell day anyhoo -- Dim Sum followed by a double mocha in North Beach, then over to the Embarc for that Enron documentary which was awesome. It lays out the whole sordid story quite clearly, and uses music in a way that can only be described as "Moreyesque".

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2005, 09:48:09 AM »
Actually the email was datestamped 4:30 am today so I don't think our comments here entered into it.

Yeah, but it seems like time is relative when it comes to the speed of light & computers. Half the time AOL tell me people are emailing me at all kindsa crazy hours when I know damn well they ain't.

Anyhoo, glad you had a gastronomical good time yesterday!
nakes? On my plane?