Author Topic: 20 January 2009: a "classic" from 1982  (Read 4075 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
20 January 2009: a "classic" from 1982
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
Can't listen, as all WMP-based streams are blocked today at work. So if someone will tell me where we are, I'll correct the header.

The only stream working for me is the Drive, so I'm listening to Deep Tracks for the time being (where I'm impressed to be hearing REO's "Golden Country").
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:23:42 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 20 January 2009: ????
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
It would appear to be 1981 based on the Avalon selection now playing: Take a Chance with Me.  BOS too.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
Oops, guess it's 1982.  But sounds like nobody's listening except me.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »

I tuned in just before the Roxy tune, but I've been getting set up to work and reading news coverage and the like. What was the TOTHK?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »

I tuned in just before the Roxy tune, but I've been getting set up to work and reading news coverage and the like. What was the TOTHK?

Never mind. Turns out the Roxy tune has only been played once, so it was easy to find this set in the DB--Feb 13, 2007. And the TOTHK was Saga's Wind Him Up.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »
It would appear to be 1981 based on the Avalon selection now playing: Take a Chance with Me.  BOS too.

just got here.  Sorry to miss roxy....
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

Never mind. Turns out the Roxy tune has only been played once, so it was easy to find this set in the DB--Feb 13, 2007. And the TOTHK was Saga's Wind Him Up.

thanks, urth -- just looked it up and I feel like I'm not missing anything. Dave's fave from Translator gets yet another spin. Yawn.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »

Yup, I remembered it was Saga, but had already forgotten the song.  In the TANC category, my wife and I were singing "Don't You Want Me" in the car on Sunday, mainly to irritate the children.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 20 January 2009: a "classic" from 1982
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »
I still like "Worlds Away", with the long intro.  And how does your band get to be called Strange Advance?  Must have been an interesting debate.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
I still like "Worlds Away", with the long intro.  And how does your band get to be called Strange Advance?  Must have been an interesting debate.

It's a fave of mine too, and gets my BOS vote along with the Roxy.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
After reading the notes on the Drive's 68 set today, I can't help but be a little wistful to get DM back in the driver's seat. Today is the sort of occasion he'd really be inspired by, methinks.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
After reading the notes on the Drive's 68 set today, I can't help but be a little wistful to get DM back in the driver's seat. Today is the sort of occasion he'd really be inspired by, methinks.
Yah, I bet he's sorry he can't be on the radio today.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »

It's a fave of mine too, and gets my BOS vote along with the Roxy.

yes, this one is my BOS vote, too.   Sounds like Ultravox, feels like the 80s.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »

Indeed and amen! Woulda been awesome. But at the very least, they could've pulled out an MLK "classic" yesterday. They must've played one or 2 of those on the HD-2 channel.

Which reminds... I've been wondering what effect, if any, the "all 10@10 all the time" format on their HD-2 channel has on which sets they pull for these classics?  And how far back the HD-2 sets go?  Surely they have hundreds of sets at their fingertips if they've built an entire channel around them, no?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »

Indeed and amen! Woulda been awesome. But at the very least, they could've pulled out an MLK "classic" yesterday. They must've played one or 2 of those on the HD-2 channel.

Which reminds... I've been wondering what effect, if any, the "all 10@10 all the time" format on their HD-2 channel has on which sets they pull for these classics?  And how far back the HD-2 sets go?  Surely they have hundreds of sets at their fingertips if they've built an entire channel around them, no?

Haven't listened to the HD channel at all, but I would guess that they must have at least enough 10@10s archived to not have to repeat any for a couple weeks of 24-7 programming, and I'd hope more. Otherwise people are going to start hearing the same sets over and over and that would not do much for listener loyalty. However, assuming the classics we're hearing now are drawn from that archive, it seems like most of them are from 2006 or newer, although we do occasionally hear one from pre-2002, when the Yahoo group was still a functioning entity. When did KFOG go to all digitized programming? My guess is that's when they started saving them on a daily basis, but Dave probably has loads that are older than that, so I guess they could have digitized those as well. Which begs the question: why the H-E-double toothpicks aren't we hearing those as classics? I'd LOVE to hear one from 1993 or something--now that really would be a classic.

As for the MLK set, if they have one in their archive, they've got all of them. Because between 2003 and 2007 Dave played the same set every year. Last year there was no MLK set, and no explanation. Maybe Cumulus wasn't comfortable with it? Dunno.

If one of our group has an extra hundred bucks or so burning a hole in their pocket, run down to Circuit City while they're still doing closeouts and pick up an HD radio for cheap so we can answer these questions. I'd do it, but their signal doesn't reach this far. Of course, no telling how long HD radio is going to continue--seems to me like it's kind of been a bust for the radio industry as no one's got a receiver.
Let's get right to it.