Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 12/3/07  (Read 5548 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 12/3/07
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 07:04:21 AM »
This week Casey recaps the hits of December November 8, 1975.  We've just gone from an RGMike fave, "18 With a Bullet," to one I've never heard, Art Garfunkel's take on "I Only Have Eyes for You."  Earlier we got Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain," which I hadn't heard since I was a kid.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:47:50 AM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
What a Top 10 so far:
Captain & Tennille, "The Way I Want to Touch You"
Morris Albert, "Feelings"
Natalie Cole, "This Will Be"
Spinners, "They Just Can't Stop It The (Games People Play)"

That latter is a personal favorite, one unfairly forgotten even though it was one of their biggest.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:47 AM »
My beloved "Miracles" had peaked at #3 the week prior; this week it falls to 5.  "Who Loves You" at 4.  What a wonderful year for pop music.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 08:44:01 AM »
"Calypso" at 3, after five weeks at 2.  I actually don't remember ever hearing this, and I was a John Denver fan throughout the '70s.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 09:07:41 AM »
"Island Girl" at No. 1.

More interestingly, the countdown is followed by a wonderful tribute to John Lennon on the 27th anniversary of his death.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 09:46:59 AM »
"Calypso" at 3, after five weeks at 2.  I actually don't remember ever hearing this, and I was a John Denver fan throughout the '70s.

Dunno if Casey explained, but "Calypso" was the flip of "I'm Sorry", and stations started playing "Calypso" as "I'm Sorry" was peaking.  "Calypso" became slightly more popular and it was shown as a double-sided hit on the chart for most of its run.  ("Calypso" was Jacques Cousteau's boat; Denver met him and they became friends iirc.)

Heard the first hour before switching to the marathon (first 3 years: '67, '70 & '76) but what a first hour: Ms Baez's fabulous "Diamonds & Rust" and I TOTALLY do NOT remember Freddy Fender's cover of "Secret Love". Ever hear Sinead O'Connor's version?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »
This week Casey recaps the hits of December November 8, 1975.  We've just gone from an RGMike fave, "18 With a Bullet," to one I've never heard, Art Garfunkel's take on "I Only Have Eyes for You."  Earlier we got Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain," which I hadn't heard since I was a kid.

Listening to the replay of the final 2 hours: I thought of you during "18 With a Bullet" -- an absurdly edited version that must've run all of 90 seconds ("9-1/2 with a Bullet"?). Great stuff here tho'... Esther Phillips goes disco; ONJ's "Something Better To Do" which I truly have not heard in 30 years; ditto the Capt & Tenillle with "The Way I Want to Touch You"; and OMFG it's "Feelings", nothing more than.

Oh, and a TANC to "Nights on B'way" -- I just ordered Soul of the BeeGees from Amazon for all of 4 bucks, just to get Candi Staton's cover of "NOB". And I still can't believe "Bad Blood" was #1 for 3 weeks...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:48:50 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 11:15:59 PM »
AT40 Addendum: KFRC played JT's "Mexico" as an extra and said it was "working its way to the Top 40" on the week in question. Sorry guys -- "Mexico" never made it; peaked at #49. But I guess it must be in the KFRC rotation.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »

Dunno if Casey explained, but "Calypso" was the flip of "I'm Sorry", and stations started playing "Calypso" as "I'm Sorry" was peaking.  "Calypso" became slightly more popular and it was shown as a double-sided hit on the chart for most of its run.  ("Calypso" was Jacques Cousteau's boat; Denver met him and they became friends iirc.)

Heard the first hour before switching to the marathon (first 3 years: '67, '70 & '76) but what a first hour: Ms Baez's fabulous "Diamonds & Rust" and I TOTALLY do NOT remember Freddy Fender's cover of "Secret Love". Ever hear Sinead O'Connor's version?

Thanks for filling me in on the "I'm Sorry"/"Calypso" thing - Billboard policy has been interestingly inconsistent over the years when it comes to two-sided hits.  (Of which we'll likely never have another again, thanks to digital single sales predominating the market now.)

Don't know Freddy's or Sinead's "Secret Love"; in fact, the only version of that song I have (or know) is that from George Michael's dismally received Songs From the Last Century.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
Don't know Freddy's or Sinead's "Secret Love"; in fact, the only version of that song I have (or know) is that from George Michael's dismally received Songs From the Last Century.

I didn't think it was possible to be gay and never have heard the orig by Doris Day! ;)