Author Topic: KBCO, 2/28/07: 1995  (Read 4584 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO, 2/28/07: 1995
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
This has been rather impressive, for a '90s year.  BTW, I have 10:00 meetings today AND tomo'w -- I'm guessing Dave'll have a '70s year one day and a late '80s/early '90s set the other day.

Well I don't for once, so I'll help hold down the fort fer ya!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
trivia answer: Penny Marshall.  Got to watch that one again.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
trivia answer: Penny Marshall.  Got to watch that one again.

her 2nd cameo of the week: Rob played a clip from Awakenings th other day.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:23 AM »
This has been rather impressive, for a '90s year.  BTW, I have 10:00 meetings today AND tomo'w -- I'm guessing Dave'll have a '70s year one day and a late '80s/early '90s set the other day.

This set has reminded me how remarkable a year 95 was for music, particularly in the middle of the 90s. Due in no small part (at least for me) to the genesis of the alt-country movement. Bands like the Jayhawks and Son Volt released works that would be their high-water marks, Steve Earle emerged from addiction (and jail) to release a stellar acoustic set, Richard Buckner also debuted with a really strong album, Wilco put out their somewhat disappointing freshman entry but redeemed themselves with a reputation for over-the-top live sets.

And on the mainstream side you had band like BTE and Bush putting out fairly strong rock that got chart attention too, and REM returned to action after several years off the road. I could probably come up with a few more, but I'll have to dig thru some CDs to be reminded what else I was listening to that year.

Then again, we also had Hootie that year. Win some, lose some more.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

This set has reminded me how remarkable a year 95 was for music, particularly in the middle of the 90s. Due in no small part (at least for me) to the genesis of the alt-country movement. Bands like the Jayhawks and Son Volt released works that would be their high-water marks, Steve Earle emerged from addiction (and jail) to release a stellar acoustic set, Richard Buckner also debuted with a really strong album, Wilco put out their somewhat disappointing freshman entry but redeemed themselves with a reputation for over-the-top live sets.

And on the mainstream side you had band like BTE and Bush putting out fairly strong rock that got chart attention too, and REM returned to action after several years off the road. I could probably come up with a few more, but I'll have to dig thru some CDs to be reminded what else I was listening to that year.

Then again, we also had Hootie that year. Win some, lose some more.

FWIW, I didn't think Counting Crows were all that far afield from what the y'allternative kids were doing.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”