Author Topic: 14 Dec 2006: 1973  (Read 8407 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Jools
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 09:04:58 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Dave's IM tag says we might want to save BOS for "BRIAN AUGER????"  What's the Brian Auger song that we might want to save it for?  I'm pretty unfamiliar with him, but his name rings a bell.  (He's a dead ringer for his brother.)
and here he is: His cover of "Compared to What?"
Heard the Les McCann version of this someplace recently--on Judge's show Monday maybe?
yup.

To answer Davefish: it wasn't a hit single but it got lots of progressive-FM play back then. This is Brian Auger's Oblivion Express; prior to that he had Brian Auger & the Trinity, who (with vocalist Julie Driscoll) were most famous for covers of "This Wheel's on Fire" and "Season of the Witch".
I never liked his version much compared to Les McCann's.  I really dug the Julie Driscoll tracks though.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Jools
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2006, 01:51:04 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Dave's IM tag says we might want to save BOS for "BRIAN AUGER????"  What's the Brian Auger song that we might want to save it for?  I'm pretty unfamiliar with him, but his name rings a bell.  (He's a dead ringer for his brother.)
and here he is: His cover of "Compared to What?"
Heard the Les McCann version of this someplace recently--on Judge's show Monday maybe?
yup.

To answer Davefish: it wasn't a hit single but it got lots of progressive-FM play back then. This is Brian Auger's Oblivion Express; prior to that he had Brian Auger & the Trinity, who (with vocalist Julie Driscoll) were most famous for covers of "This Wheel's on Fire" and "Season of the Witch".
I never liked his version much compared to Les McCann's.  I really dug the Julie Driscoll tracks though.

i recently picked up sweetwater's version of "compared to what," bringing my collection of versions of this song to 12. nothing beats the eddie harris/les mccann version, though - it's true.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 Dec 2006: 1973
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 09:58:34 AM »
12/14/2006 - Thursday! A good day to visit...1973!!!

1.  Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er  
2.  Stevie Wonder - Living for the City  
3.  Steeler's Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You  
4.  Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - Compared to What  
5.  Chicago - Feelin' Stronger Every Day (BEST OF SET!!)  
6.  Peter Frampton - Lines on My Face  
7.  Spinners - One of a Kind Love Affair  
8.  Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)  
9.  O'Jays - Love Train  
10.  Doobies - South City Midnight Lady  

BONUS TRACK:  Who - The Real Me

Yay! 1973 comes up at the perfect time on my Saturday morning to crank it all the way up!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 10:22:30 AM »
Missed Zep both sets.
Must again BOS Chicago and Frampton. So much better with ear buds and turned up. Must get Chicago CD
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 12:23:10 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Yay! 1973 comes up at the perfect time on my Saturday morning to crank it all the way up!

indeed, this was the rare marathon where the 2 best (i.e., oldest) sets were saved for last.  In fact all 5 sets were in Mon thru Fri order.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round