Author Topic: The Drive, 8/30/06: 1981  (Read 3697 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 8/30/06: 1981
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
But Phil Collins, I'd still like his percussion on this song (remembering when it was novel) if it weren't A) overplayed on every format of the radio today, and B) if his vocals didn't sound like the second-most-tortured after only Michael Bolton.  And of all the songs about a which a controversy of interpretation swirls, this is by far the least deserving in my book.

I don't think we covered that in our discussion of that Inessa set last week -- what is the "controversy"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
But Phil Collins, I'd still like his percussion on this song (remembering when it was novel) if it weren't A) overplayed on every format of the radio today, and B) if his vocals didn't sound like the second-most-tortured after only Michael Bolton.  And of all the songs about a which a controversy of interpretation swirls, this is by far the least deserving in my book.

I don't think we covered that in our discussion of that Inessa set last week -- what is the "controversy"?

There's an urban legend about whom Colins is addressing when he sings "I was there & I saw what you did..."  The version I heard (aside to Gaz, I got this orginally from our Schwabbie friend Scott Emerson when we were camping several years ago) is that one of Collins' childhood friends drowned right in front of Collins & a group of kids, and nearby was another kid, who was the only one close enough to have done something, but who just stood there and let Collins' friend drown.  This has since been debunked, but it was a pervasive urban legend from what I have been told.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:58 AM »
tomorrow 1970: dunno if we'll get to hear that, as the "Thursday Portrait" is CSNY -- if they're playing them solo as well as together, the Digital Copyright Act may not kick in.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 09:57:04 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

There's an urban legend about whom Colins is addressing when he sings "I was there & I saw what you did..."  The version I heard (aside to Gaz, I got this orginally from our Schwabbie friend Scott Emerson when we were camping several years ago) is that one of Collins' childhood friends drowned right in front of Collins & a group of kids, and nearby was another kid, who was the only one close enough to have done something, but who just stood there and let Collins' friend drown.  This has since been debunked, but it was a pervasive urban legend from what I have been told.

The tale's been told in many variants -- snopes.com is a good source for the full history, as they are for pretty much any urban legend.  Eminem makes an allusion to it in one of his recent songs, though I forget which one (most of his tracks start to sound alike through my history lens).

PS: I should also add that hip-hoppers fell in love with the drum sound on this and several have cited his production of them in interviews in recent years (I forget exactly who, though -- maybe Ghostface Killah of Wu-Tang?).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »
Steve Winwood  Arc of a Diver   6.2%
Billy Squire   In the Dark   5.6%
The Police   Spirits in the Material World   3.9%
Hall & Oates   Private Eyes   8.4%
Queen/David Bowie   Under Pressure   10.1%
Joe Walsh   A Life of Illusion   5.6%