Author Topic: 28 July 2006--it's...1966!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16711 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
28 July 2006--it's...1966!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"
And no Beatles. Yay. (Not really 'yay' but you know what I mean.)

I was wondering about that.  Is it possible that the Fab Four weren't on the chart anywhere on the date in question?  Mike, can you check your reference books?

Per Whitburn, "Paperback Writer" was at number 12 that week (on its way down).  And both Rubber Soul and Yesterday & Today woulda been on the LP chart, but I guess this was strictly a Hot 100-oriented set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
charts
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2006, 12:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I was wondering about that.  Is it possible that the Fab Four weren't on the chart anywhere on the date in question?  Mike, can you check your reference books?
Per Whitburn, "Paperback Writer" was at number 12 that week (on its way down).  And both Rubber Soul and Yesterday & Today woulda been on the LP chart, but I guess this was strictly a Hot 100-oriented set.

Quote from: "crankypantsrants"
this is what has always irked me about this chart thing.  I felt like the Beatles liberated us from singles charts, but now the old guard is back in power!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: charts
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

this is what has always irked me about this chart thing.  I felt like the Beatles liberated us from singles charts, but now the old guard is back in power!

Charts can be taken too seriously (and lawds know I do). But for "a snapshot of this date" I find them wholly appropriate, indeed, admirable.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2006, 11:42:04 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Charts can be taken too seriously (and lawds know I do). But for "a snapshot of this date" I find them wholly appropriate, indeed, admirable.

Agreed, and in this case we're talking 1966, when FM rock radio barely existed, so the LP charts were not as reflective of youth music culture as the singles chart was. The Sound of Music sndtk was probably still Number 1 that summer...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Agreed, and in this case we're talking 1966, when FM rock radio barely existed, so the LP charts were not as reflective of youth music culture as the singles chart was. The Sound of Music sndtk was probably still Number 1 that summer...

Well, here in SF in 66, a lot of Beatles tunes were in play that weren't released as singles.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!