Author Topic: Monday 10/3 - 1984  (Read 5612 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 10:44:09 AM »
OK back to Little Steven...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 10:45:47 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

OK when I hear "voices" I take a pill and go to bed. I don't write a friggin' song about it.

Well then it's a good thing you never audtioned to join Pink Floyd!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 11:27:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
OK back to Little Steven...

I have to mention that LS, in the last set of this weeks show, played the Monkees "Saturday's Child" (written by David Gates! Who knew? well, OK, Gaz probably knew), and The Hollies "King Midas in Reverse". Steven is a national treasure.

Gaz at da Voice

Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Another nugget, Gary Myrick oops, I mean Russ Ballard!

"I got the Key!"

ETA: trivia for Russ Ballard - what Top 20 hit single 5 years earlier had he written?

If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to, it was closer to 10 years earlier ('72).  If not, you've stumped me.

He also wrote "God Gave Rock & Roll to You," which was older and wasn't a hit, but which I loved KISS's cover of.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 12:22:48 PM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

"I got the Key!"

ETA: trivia for Russ Ballard - what Top 20 hit single 5 years earlier had he written?

If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to, it was closer to 10 years earlier ('72).  If not, you've stumped me.

He also wrote "God Gave Rock & Roll to You," which was older and wasn't a hit, but which I loved KISS's cover of.

I assume mshray's referring to Santana's "Winning". I remember playing Ballard's original version of that song in college circa '77. He also wrote Hot Chocolate's "So You Win Again', iirc.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 02:15:48 PM »

"I got the Key!"

No I'm refering to a #13 song from '79.  

Ironic that Gaz mentions Kiss though...

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 06:51:06 AM »

"I got the Key!"

Did he write Ace Frehley's "New York Groove"?

The one I thought you were going for was Three Dog Night's "Liar."  But RGMike's right on "Winning" and "So You Win Again."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 09:14:27 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

"I got the Key!"

The one I thought you were going for was Three Dog Night's "Liar."  But RGMike's right on "Winning" and "So You Win Again."

Yep!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday 10/3 - 1984
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 09:30:35 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

"I got the Key!"

Yep!

Any idea why he stopps at "3rd and 43" in that song?  There's not much happening on that block.  Unless that's where he met his dealer.

Someday I'll write a piece on the idiosyncracies of NYC in song.  (Cf: my mishearing of "Native New Yorker," which I thought had a destination at Herald Square instead of the UES.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”