Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/30/07  (Read 7671 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
why Dave doesn't play Bread
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
Gary Ziep now playing Bread's Everything I Own--yet another band that was pretty huge in their time but I don't think has ever turned up in a 10@10 for the early 70s--at least not in a helluva long while.
Indeed, another band that Dave tends to avoid despite their having had 12 Top 40 singles in 7 years.  Ironically, the Bread tune that has shown up most often was their lowest-charter (and only non-ballad), "Mother Freedom" (#37 peak).  I think he's played "Guitar Man" once or twice.

Of course the Brits love "Everything I Own" -- it's been a UK hit THREE times: the orig in '72, a reggae version that hit #1 by Ken Boothe (who?) in '74, and the Boy George cover of the Boothe arrangement (also #1)in '87.

So, even though historically it should be included, perhaps the insipidness of Bread causes Dave to ignore them?
 :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: why Dave doesn't play Bread
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 11:11:11 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Gary Ziep now playing Bread's Everything I Own--yet another band that was pretty huge in their time but I don't think has ever turned up in a 10@10 for the early 70s--at least not in a helluva long while.
Indeed, another band that Dave tends to avoid despite their having had 12 Top 40 singles in 7 years.  Ironically, the Bread tune that has shown up most often was their lowest-charter (and only non-ballad), "Mother Freedom" (#37 peak).  I think he's played "Guitar Man" once or twice.

Of course the Brits love "Everything I Own" -- it's been a UK hit THREE times: the orig in '72, a reggae version that hit #1 by Ken Boothe (who?) in '74, and the Boy George cover of the Boothe arrangement (also #1)in '87.

So, even though historically it should be included, perhaps the insipidness of Bread causes Dave to ignore them?

You're actually more right than you realize -- Dave is, I've always thought, afraid to be inundated with disgruntled Fogheads calling to say "why are you playing that wimpy-ass crap?" That's why we only ever hear that ONE Carpenters song. So unless he decides to get a bug up his butt about "rehabilitating" Bread (the way he once did regarding ABBA), we'll continue to hear "Mother Freedom" and not much else.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »

You're actually more right than you realize -- Dave is, I've always thought, afraid to be inundated with disgruntled Fogheads calling to say "why are you playing that wimpy-ass crap?" That's why we only ever hear that ONE Carpenters song. So unless he decides to get a bug up his butt about "rehabilitating" Bread (the way he once did regarding ABBA), we'll continue to hear "Mother Freedom" and not much else.
comparing ABBA to Bread?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »

comparing ABBA to Bread?

Yes, in the sense that when he first played ABBA, hard-core rock-loving Fogheads used to call up and complain -- ABBA songs used to routinely show up in HitsFromHell sets.  But over time he got people to love ABBA.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »

comparing ABBA to Bread?

Yes, in the sense that when he first played ABBA, hard-core rock-loving Fogheads used to call up and complain -- ABBA songs used to routinely show up in HitsFromHell sets.  But over time he got people to love ABBA.

Or maybe he just convinced the ABBA-lovers to come out, that it was OK to speak out about their ABBAphilia.
Let's get right to it.