Author Topic: 28 June 2013: Pride 2013  (Read 10019 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 28 June 2013: Pride 2013
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »
"Born This Way" - more unexpected than Macklemore, but this might as well be the "You Make Me Feel" of the 2010s. :P

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
Lady GaGa "Born This Way"

Hard to believe this song is now over two years old.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Per Renee: two-way tie for BOS - Joe Jackson and Lady GaGa
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Had to leave for a meeting, but not really sorry I missed  the ridiculously overrated Lady Gaga; the Carl Bean song of the same name is superior in every possible way.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »
Had to leave for a meeting, but not really sorry I missed  the ridiculously overrated Lady Gaga; the Carl Bean song of the same name is superior in every possible way.

I will say that Weird Al's cover of this, "Perform This Way" might be one of his least inspired.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
-- Friday -- Pride

1. George Michael - Freedom '90
2. Timbuk3 - Leagalize Our Love
3. Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule
4. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Same Love
5. Joe Jackson - Real Men
6. Madonna - Vogue
7. Erasure - A Little Respect
8. Rufus Wainwright - One Man Guy
9. Tom Robinson Band - Glad To Be Gay
10. Lady Gaga - Born This Way

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Joe Jackson "Real Men" (live)

A line in this song reminded me of a quote from my collection:

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the general accepted rule is
pink for the boy and blue for the girl.  Pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more
suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl."
-- Ladies Home Journal, 1918
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
"Freedom 90'", "Vogue" and "Real Men" are all examples of gay-themed songs for which straights need not be ashamed they like.

Why would a straight person be ashamed of liking any gay-themed song?  (BTW, I don't find
"Freedom 90" or "Vogue" to be necessarily gay-themed.)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
"Freedom 90'", "Vogue" and "Real Men" are all examples of gay-themed songs for which straights need not be ashamed they like.

Why would a straight person be ashamed of liking any gay-themed song?  (BTW, I don't find

To BFM's point, I think of "Real Men" as a gateway song to a more enlightened person.  To some extent, bigotry is a learned behavior, and sometimes we need help unlearning bad behaviors.  I remember being on the bus while in high school, and mentioning my admiration for "Killer Queen".  Somebody asked, sneeringly, if I knew it was a "gay" song.  I had not, but, in that moment, I realized that it didn't matter to me.  I haven't been embarrassed about liking "gay music" since, though I wouldn't say I was completely comfortable with gay issues yet.  "Real Men" (plus 4 years at SF State) gave me clearer insight into the world and myself, and was part of my personal evolution into the goofy but open minded bastard I am today.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »

To BFM's point, I think of "Real Men" as a gateway song to a more enlightened person.  To some extent, bigotry is a learned behavior, and sometimes we need help unlearning bad behaviors.  I remember being on the bus while in high school, and mentioning my admiration for "Killer Queen".  Somebody asked, sneeringly, if I knew it was a "gay" song.  I had not, but, in that moment, I realized that it didn't matter to me.  I haven't been embarrassed about liking "gay music" since, though I wouldn't say I was completely comfortable with gay issues yet.  "Real Men" (plus 4 years at SF State) gave me clearer insight into the world and myself, and was part of my personal evolution into the goofy but open minded bastard I am today.

Well said, Rod. Found myself looking for the "like" button for this.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »

Well said, Rod. Found myself looking for the "like" button for this.

Indeed.

and a nice piece in the NYT yesterday about the Macklemore & Lewis song.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/arts/music/stars-align-for-a-gay-marriage-anthem.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:04:18 AM by RGMike »

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »

I guess I don't feel like I should be embarrassed about liking a song, regardless of its theme.
(Unless, perhaps, if the song isn't very good, in which case it's a "guilty pleasure.")

In regard to the topic at hand, in school I was far more often the victim of adolescent macho
bullshit than the instigator, so if anything I would have been more sympathic to "gay music"
than not.  I was also mostly oblivious to my classmates sexuality.  I had no idea that McGreevey
was gay.  And it was only many years later that I discovered that one of my best high school
buddies was gay, as well as another acquaintance who was a good friend of my brother.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »

I guess I don't feel like I should be embarrassed about liking a song, regardless of its theme.
(Unless, perhaps, if the song isn't very good, in which case it's a "guilty pleasure.")

In regard to the topic at hand, in school I was far more often the victim of adolescent macho
bullshit than the instigator, so if anything I would have been more sympathic to "gay music"
than not.  I was also mostly oblivious to my classmates sexuality.  I had no idea that McGreevey
was gay.  And it was only many years later that I discovered that one of my best high school
buddies was gay, as well as another acquaintance who was a good friend of my brother.

Vogue def got its start from gay culture.  I remember seeing vogue dancers at the Tunnel Club in about 1988 and Ooooh, Gurl, sooo gay!  But your point is taken, no one really should be ashamed (or embarrassed or uncomfy) at enjoying "gay" music, but those people are still out there.
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
While in High School, I mentioned that I liked the song "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go". I probably shouldn't have said that in shop class, but to make a long story short, that stuck with me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:17 PM »
Vogue def got its start from gay culture.  I remember seeing vogue dancers at the Tunnel Club in about 1988 and Ooooh, Gurl, sooo gay!  But your point is taken, no one really should be ashamed (or embarrassed or uncomfy) at enjoying "gay" music, but those people are still out there.

see the documentary Paris is Burning.