Author Topic: Thurday June 30 -- it's 1995  (Read 10658 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurday June 30 -- it's 1995
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 10:36:17 AM »
BOS to Son Volt's Drown. These guys were a hell of a band in 95-96.

I remember hearing a great mondegreen involving this song. Someone asked the band about their Cousin Ed, the guy who drowned. (The line is actually "you're causin' it--drown...)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
BOS Sun Volt "Drown"

Nice one Dave!

St. Louis homies of yours, too!
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »
BOS Sun Volt "Drown"

Nice one Dave!

Called in to say so in person, and Dave said it got more than one vote, and added, "God, I am SO glad people know that album."

So I guess some of us Fogheads do rule.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 10:41:22 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
BOS to Son Volt's Drown. These guys were a hell of a band in 95-96.

I remember hearing a great mondegreen involving this song. Someone asked the band about their Cousin Ed, the guy who drowned. (The line is actually "you're causin' it--drown...)

LOL!  that's a classic.

This set was greatly improved as it went along.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 10:44:34 AM »
That last song was not actually Chris Isaak, right?  It's somebody who sounded just like him, but it hasn't come to me yet.

Danny Tate, that's it.  "Dreamin'"

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 10:47:21 AM »
BOS Sun Volt "Drown"

Nice one Dave!

Called in to say so in person, and Dave said it got more than one vote, and added, "God, I am SO glad people know that album."

So I guess some of us Fogheads do rule.

Almost got BOS, so I guess it's more than just you and me, Mark. And we got beat out by a dead guy. No shame in that.

The album Dave mentioned, Trace, is really a great album, front to back. Route, Loose String, Out of the Picture, Tear Stained Eye (aka Beer Stained Tie), and the sublime Windfall, all superb songs. Not at all surprised Dave is into it. Alas, their albums started sounding pretty samey with the next one, and they kind of fell from grace. Jay Farrar's got a new version of Son Volt and a new record due out sometime in July, so I'll be curious to see if they can pull a comeback.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »
Bonus: "Santa Monica" by Everclear. THIS is how I remember '95, probably because I was listening to Live 105 a lot.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 01:09:27 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Bonus: "Santa Monica" by Everclear. THIS is how I remember '95, probably because I was listening to Live 105 a lot.

Wow!  It had always seemed that Annalisa was picking decent tracks, but still within the usual KFOG format (or at least the A-Z format).  But I'm pretty sure that's the first time Everclear got played on KFOG.

I missed Everclear, but a few minutes earlier KFOG played Velvet Revolver.  Are they updating their playlist?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »

Wow!  It had always seemed that Annalisa was picking decent tracks, but still within the usual KFOG format (or at least the A-Z format).  But I'm pretty sure that's the first time Everclear got played on KFOG.

I missed Everclear, but a few minutes earlier KFOG played Velvet Revolver.  Are they updating their playlist?

Could be they finally hired a new music director to replace Haley.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »

Didn't Everclear do a concept album a few years ago, something about the '70s? I recall KFOG played something from that, albeit briefly.  Coulda sworn "Santa Monica" showed up in A-Z (not most recently, but in previous years) but not in regular rotation.

But Velvet Revolver? yikes, they quite specifically ignored them when the album came out, didn't they? ... an odd backtrack if you ask me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
GREEN EARRINGS
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 03:17:09 PM »
GREEN EARRINGS by STEELY DAN
Album: ROYAL SCAM

killer guitar riffs, eh?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
list
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »
6/30/05 - Thursday!  Ooooooh, sounds like...1995!!!

Radiohead - High & Dry
Vigilantes of Love - Blister Soul
U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Morphine - Radar (BEST O' SET!!!)
Heather Nova - Walk This World
Joe Satriani - You're My World
Danny Tate - Dreamin'
John Hiatt - Cry Love
Sun Volt - Drown
Box Set - Can't Save Myself
BONUS TRACK:  Everclear - Santa Monica
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 10:07:20 PM »

Didn't Everclear do a concept album a few years ago, something about the '70s? I recall KFOG played something from that, albeit briefly.  Coulda sworn "Santa Monica" showed up in A-Z (not most recently, but in previous years) but not in regular rotation.

But Velvet Revolver? yikes, they quite specifically ignored them when the album came out, didn't they? ... an odd backtrack if you ask me.

Everclear did two volumes, released under a year apart, called Songs From an American Movie.  They were more about Art Alexakis's divorce, using the '70s template as a backdrop for his recalling happier times; the first album's lead single, "AM Radio," was specific about the period (and a later single was a cover of "Brown-Eyed Girl," in case anyone missed the point).

So it's 1:05am and the 10@10 replay hasn't started yet.  I tuned in and "All I Wanna Do" was playing; I thought it was part of the '95 set.  Still a memorable song, even for those who aren't big fans of Ms. Crow; I particularly like the line "the bartender looks up from his want ads" and always enjoy mis-singing her payoff line as "the matches and the Buds and the dirty cars / AND SUN MYUNG MOON!!!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 10:23:55 PM »
Taking note of "March 4th, 1982" for when I compile my Rock Calendar (along with the usual suspects of Billie Joe and the 6th of June and the 3rd of September).  Never heard this Morphine but I'm loving it.  RIP Mark Sandman.  My friend Victor once saw them on ecstasy and had a glorious time.  (I don't care for the stuff, myself -- the ecstasy, not the Morphine).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »
What 1995 really sounded like to me:

1. Sophie B. Hawkins, "As I Lay Me Down"
2. Martin Page, "In the House of Stone and Light"
3. Michael Jackson, "You Are Not Alone"
4. Seal, "Don't Cry"
5. Smashing Pumpkins, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
6. Letters to Cleo, "Here and Now"
7. Lisa Loeb, "Do You Sleep?"
8. Montell Jordan, "This Is How We Do It"
9. Juliana Hatfield, "Universal Heart-Beat"
10. Madonna, "Take a Bow"