Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462725 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1245 on: May 21, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
latest take-with-grain-of-salt rumor is that KGO is going to reinvent itself by going back to its talk-show format in a few months. And that simulcasting it on FM is a possibility... meaning that either KFOG or The Bone, the 2 FMs owned by Cumulus, would bite the dust. 

(this is via Lieberman, of course, so as I say... take with a LARGE grain of salt)

That's ok, this is the 10@10 club, not the GS's.  We're not going to crucify you for mentioning Lieberman's blog. ;-)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »
latest take-with-grain-of-salt rumor is that KGO is going to reinvent itself by going back to its talk-show format in a few months. And that simulcasting it on FM is a possibility... meaning that either KFOG or The Bone, the 2 FMs owned by Cumulus, would bite the dust. 

(this is via Lieberman, of course, so as I say... take with a LARGE grain of salt)

That's ok, this is the 10@10 club, not the GS's.  We're not going to crucify you for mentioning Lieberman's blog. ;-)

Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 23, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
Well, NASH-FM is finally coming to the Bay Area. But not on 104.5, apparently:

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/88776/rumor-mill-cumulus-to-launch-nash-fm-in-san-francisco/

Maybe Lieberman should read radioInsight once in a while -- he might actually get something right.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
Reports are coming out of Washington state that Casey Kasem is in critical condition.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/130324/casey-kasem-reported-in-critical-condition
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
for the 4th or 5th time since they stopped playing Smooth Jazz, 103.7 has changed their branding yet again: now they're "Big 103.7"-- whatevs.  Still Oldies/Classic Hits.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 09, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
for the 4th or 5th time since they stopped playing Smooth Jazz, 103.7 has changed their branding yet again: now they're "Big 103.7"-- whatevs.  Still Oldies/Classic Hits.

Ben F-T referred to this peripherally in his column yesterday, about station "imaging," and the dearth of jingles these days. He said that 103.7 would need to produce something like 500 new sweepers to correspond to its new ID.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Imaging-Where-have-all-the-jingles-gone-5532681.php
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »

Ben F-T referred to this peripherally in his column yesterday, about station "imaging," and the dearth of jingles these days. He said that 103.7 would need to produce something like 500 new sweepers to correspond to its new ID.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Imaging-Where-have-all-the-jingles-gone-5532681.php

Ben also mentioned Mr Pugh's departure from KFOG, a month after the fact.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:54:25 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 13, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »
Latest ratings: KFOG, the Bone, K-Fox, Alice -- all down thsi month, and Live 105 actually went up for the first time in ages.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KSAN Reunion concert
« Reply #1253 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:57 PM »
This fragment appeared in a Leah Garchick column yesterday:

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Oakland-sighting-of-prehistoric-tools-5544810.php

Quote from: Leah Garchick
Larry Bensky, educator and Proust scholar, was at Yoshi's in San Francisco for a fundraising reunion of KSAN staff and fans, and sent a report: "If, indeed, Yoshi's on Fillmore is heading for a restructuring/reconfiguring, it would be hard to figure out why, based on Wednesday night's packed house on all three floors. Maybe they just need to more often musically revisit San Francisco's past, such as the period from 1969 to 1979, the glory years of KSAN."

The event was organized by Ken Wardell of BAM magazine as a benefit for the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame, which hopes to move into its own building in Alameda. On hand were many of the "legendary DJs and on-air personalities from KSAN's golden years, among them Bonnie Simmons, Dusty Street, Richard Gossett, Beverly Wilshire, Norman Davis, Scoop Nisker, Larry Bensky, Peter Laufer, Glen Lambert, Edward Bear, Paul "Lobster" Wells and Rachel Donahue. Music was provided by stalwarts Dan Hicks, Country Joe McDonald, and Big Brother and the Holding Company."

Proustian Bensky says the gathering reminded him of "Time Recaptured," the last volume of "Remembrance of Things Past." "Everyone was the same, but they all looked different."

Gee, I listened to Larry Bensky a lot, and don't remember anything about Proust!

We went to the show (rare outing these days) and really enjoyed it.  For those that haven't seen my pix on fb, here's a link to a Flickr collection of photos I took that night.  If you want to know who the old people are, just ask me!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29027472@N04/sets/72157645152792941/
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 17, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »
I forget where someone mentioned the Live 105 listeners who were bitching about how their BFD lineup was "just like a KFOG show"... but this is interesting: they're having another big show in August, "The Punk Rock Picnic" featuring Offspring, Bad Religion, the Vandals and (I kid U not) Stiff Little Fingers!  This coincides with their new PD who apparently did great things with an alternative station in Milwaukee.

http://live105.cbslocal.com/2014/06/09/live-105s-punk-rock-picnic-general-info/

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 17, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
I forget where someone mentioned the Live 105 listeners who were bitching about how their BFD lineup was "just like a KFOG show"... but this is interesting: they're having another big show in August, "The Punk Rock Picnic" featuring Offspring, Bad Religion, the Vandals and (I kid U not) Stiff Little Fingers!  This coincides with their new PD who apparently did great things with an alternative station in Milwaukee.

Live 105: Modern Rock from 1980.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »

Live 105: Modern Rock from 1980.

heh. Actually their playlist is pretty current/recurrent/'00s/'90s- centric. They do share a lot of songs with KFOG. Not sure what the new PD has done already or has planned.

Meanwhile, KFOG seems to have backed off on the '70s classics. I swear I've heard "Brass in Pocket" 4 times in the last week.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 18, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »

So it looks like they dropped the ball on BFD because they were planning a new show...  ::)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 28, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Listened to Live 105 in the car a bit yesterday... the sound kinda like DC-era KFOG. Heard Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out", and it's astounding that song is 10 years old.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
latest ratings are in:  KFOG bounces back up to a 2.2 (from a 1.9) and The Bone drops back again, as does Live 105. It really is a crapshoot every month; none of these stations (K-Fox too) is ever gonna beat the pants off the others.