Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462679 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1215 on: December 05, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
From the KFOX website:

"KFOX 98.5/102.1 Welcomes Back Chris Jackson to Mornings, starting December 10th. Jackson, a San Jose native, is a 20 year Bay Area radio veteran. He was an original crew member of KFOX, serving as co-host, creative director and lead writer. "

The name's not ringing a bell, but then I don't really have a long history of listening to them.

Chris Jackson was the Irish Greg equivalent for Greg Kihn for many, many years.  I always liked him better than GK myself.

ETA:  if you scroll down far enough on Annalisa's FB you'll see a kind thought from Dennis Constantine
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:16:45 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 05, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Noticed this evening that Annalisa changed her FB name from "Annalisa KFOX" to Annalisa Lisa, and has been posting youtube links to all sorts of radio-related songs. Should we draw any conclusion from this, or was she just in a playful mood?
I was wondering the same thing.
Per one of the 'Snipes, her identity has been scrubbed from the KFOX website, so it sounds like she's outta there. And her FB cover and profile pics both strongly suggest Massachusetts -- is she perhaps returning to the land of her birth?
While I don't do that Facepage thing, it seems perfectly reasonable that her profile has lots
of Bay State related items.  I think that would only be significant if it had changed recently.
Also, as AL is married, I would think a move back to New England is less likely for the obvious reasons.  Just pure speculation on my part; I know little of her personal life.
actually, AL got divorced a couple years ago. But I think it's clear she got fired (as opposed to having quit) so anything's possible if the right offer comes.

Oh... double suckage.  I'm surprised to hear she's divorced, because in a March 2010 e-mail to
me she mentioned her "new hubby" in passing.  So apparently that marriage didn't last very
long.  Any idea on why she was fired?  Low ratings so hang the DJ?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 06, 2013, 07:34:48 AM »
Oh... double suckage.  I'm surprised to hear she's divorced, because in a March 2010 e-mail to me she mentioned her "new hubby" in passing.  So apparently that marriage didn't last very long.  Any idea on why she was fired?  Low ratings so hang the DJ?

She married a friend of Renee's husband. Apparently he had issues. I can't really say more than that.

New manager came in to the Entercom SF "cluster" (more like "clusterfuck", heh), and he replaced the guy who hired her, which is never good. He decided they needed a new direction. I suspect the previous guy thought they would target women turned off by Lamont and Toe-nail-y and saw AL as a way to do that... meanwhile a lot of their listeners never forgave them for getting rid of Greg Kihn.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
Oh... double suckage.  I'm surprised to hear she's divorced, because in a March 2010 e-mail to me she mentioned her "new hubby" in passing.  So apparently that marriage didn't last very long.  Any idea on why she was fired?  Low ratings so hang the DJ?

She married a friend of Renee's husband. Apparently he had issues. I can't really say more than that.

New manager came in to the Entercom SF "cluster" (more like "clusterfuck", heh), and he replaced the guy who hired her, which is never good. He decided they needed a new direction. I suspect the previous guy thought they would target women turned off by Lamont and Toe-nail-y and saw AL as a way to do that... meanwhile a lot of their listeners never forgave them for getting rid of Greg Kihn.

The radio equivalent of being in a band that gets signed to a record deal, and then having the A&R guy (or gal) who signed you get canned, leaving no one at the label to stand up for your band.

Overall I don't see being away from KFOX as being bad for AL, since it seemed like they really had her in a creative straitjacket. But it's never pleasant to get fired, whether you see it coming or not.  Hope she at least got a decent severance package or a long contract they had to buy out.

So what do you think? Would the current regime at KFOG consider bringing her back? Since DC is gone one hopes Bill Newguy doesn't have any big axe to grind over her departure -- it was just business. But if Gory's numbers aren't so good and AL is a known quantity (with a built-in audience), I could see them thinking about having her return to take over the morning drive  -- and one hopes, a certain mid-morning franchise in which the current producer is not, ummm, flourishing.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
Noticed this evening that Annalisa changed her FB name from "Annalisa KFOX" to Annalisa Lisa, and has been posting youtube links to all sorts of radio-related songs. Should we draw any conclusion from this, or was she just in a playful mood?
I was wondering the same thing.
Per one of the 'Snipes, her identity has been scrubbed from the KFOX website, so it sounds like she's outta there. And her FB cover and profile pics both strongly suggest Massachusetts -- is she perhaps returning to the land of her birth?

While I don't do that Facepage thing, it seems perfectly reasonable that her profile has lots
of Bay State related items.  I think that would only be significant if it had changed recently.
Also, as AL is married, I would think a move back to New England is less likely for the obvious
reasons.  Just pure speculation on my part; I know little of her personal life.

Agreed--she has used lots of pics referring to her home state in the past. But the two shots I referred to were posted in concert with the name change on Tuesday, so one could assume at least a bit of significance there.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:00:04 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 06, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »

The radio equivalent of being in a band that gets signed to a record deal, and then having the A&R guy (or gal) who signed you get canned, leaving no one at the label to stand up for your band.

Overall I don't see being away from KFOX as being bad for AL, since it seemed like they really had her in a creative straitjacket. But it's never pleasant to get fired, whether you see it coming or not.  Hope she at least got a decent severance package or a long contract they had to buy out.

So what do you think? Would the current regime at KFOG consider bringing her back? Since DC is gone one hopes Bill Newguy doesn't have any big axe to grind over her departure -- it was just business. But if Gory's numbers aren't so good and AL is a known quantity (with a built-in audience), I could see them thinking about having her return to take over the morning drive  -- and one hopes, a certain mid-morning franchise in which the current producer is not, ummm, flourishing.

I could go for that - AL being effectively the new Dave by doing both the Morning Show and 10@10.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 06, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »

Boy oh boy... wouldn't that be a sweet Christmas present?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: December 19, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
After Live 105's "Throwback Thursday" songs started entirely consisting of the likes of Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, STP, etc (basically songs they play anyway), I stopped paying attention.  But I had them on this morning, and we got Jesus & Mary Chain's "Head On" & Morrissey's "Last of the International Playboys"!  :o

Also, Steve Masters says he has a big announcement tomorrow morning that he really wants us to tune in for.  Wonder what that will be...

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
Also, Steve Masters says he has a big announcement tomorrow morning that he really wants us to tune in for.  Wonder what that will be...

After today Masters in the Morning will be no more.  Not a huge surprise.  Oh well, at 9 months it had a nice run.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 20, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »

After today Masters in the Morning will be no more.  Not a huge surprise.  Oh well, at 9 months it had a nice run.

yeah, I suspected that was the big news.  Funny, just as I switched back to K-FOX in the morning last month, they dumped AL, and I was thinking about giving Masters a try again but... ooops.

Anyone heard the new K-FOX guy yet?

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: December 20, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »

Yup, I heard the news this morning when I stopped on the station to find out if the '80's synth song playing was from the new Arcade Fire album (it turned out to be American-Soviets by C.C.C.P.).
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

Wonder if that might be AL's next destination?
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 20, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »

Wonder if that might be AL's next destination?

While I'd love to hear her there, I don't think it's likely because her music expertise is roughly from the same period as Masters' (& even earlier) & I think they want someone newer.  Attempts by Masters to make the Live listeners care about forgotten new wave tracks that were popular on Live 105's heyday seemed to fall flat (but were cool while it lasted).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 29, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
Oops: Ben Fong-Torres posted an interview with Steve Masters last weekend -- 2 days after Masters did his last show.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Steve-Masters-returns-to-Live-105-5080294.php#page-1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 22, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »
Latest radio ratings are in -- the "holiday" period -- and unsurprisingly all-Xmas KOIT practically doubled their number over the previous month. They're #1 with an 8.2   KFOG up slightly; KFOX down slightly after getting rid of AL.