Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462706 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1200 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
I wonder if they're trying to mitigate interest and/or just stop trying, and then kill it off with the excuse that it wasn't getting high enough ratings, like what just happened to KMTT/Seattle.

I was thinking that too, tho' if they were intending to run it down, why bring back Webster? 10@10 and Connected have become the most interesting dayparts, by default.

So if they were to kill KFOG, would KFOX take up the Triple-A torch? They certainly couldn't do worse than they are now.

ETA: and it goes w/out saying that the KFOG Morning Show is just abysmal. Gory thinks "Random Storytime Over Sappy Piano Music" (he repeats that phrase every day) is the funniest thing anyone has ever thought of. Oy.

Or, they brought back Webster thinking that the link to the past would boost ratings. When that failed, they think "See, NOTHING can save this station".

More likely, they really have no idea.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 03, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
I wonder if they're trying to mitigate interest and/or just stop trying, and then kill it off with the excuse that it wasn't getting high enough ratings, like what just happened to KMTT/Seattle.

I was thinking that too, tho' if they were intending to run it down, why bring back Webster? 10@10 and Connected have become the most interesting dayparts, by default.

Or, they brought back Webster thinking that the link to the past would boost ratings. When that failed, they think "See, NOTHING can save this station".

Perhaps they're throwing the listeners a bone, since he's apparently well liked but didn't get good enough ratings for them.  Or rather...

^^^Yeah, this is probably it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 03, 2013, 11:13:03 PM »

I think this is the truth in so many situations when the inputs and outputs are loosely-coupled at
best... television and radio ratings, movie box office, song popularity (Gangnam Style?  Really?),
sports coaching, marketing, catch phrases, etc.  These practices border on voodoo, and often
with the same reliability and predictability.

There's an old saying in advertising that half the money you spend on it is wasted... it's just that
you don't know which half.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
Yesterday I heard K-FOX play a Sharks promo for the three games they played last week (Wed, Fri, Sat -- tix still available as a 3-pack!) and thought, "ooops!"  As of this morning they're still playing it!  Double ooops.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 03, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
Noticed this evening that Annalisa changed her FB name from "Annalisa KFOX" to Annalisa Lisa, and has been posting youtube links to all sorts of radio-related songs. Should we draw any conclusion from this, or was she just in a playful mood?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
Noticed this evening that Annalisa changed her FB name from "Annalisa KFOX" to Annalisa Lisa, and has been posting youtube links to all sorts of radio-related songs. Should we draw any conclusion from this, or was she just in a playful mood?

I was wondering the same thing.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 04, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »

Per one of the 'Snipes, her identity has been scrubbed from the KFOX website, so it sounds like she's outta there. And her FB cover and profile pics both strongly suggest Massachusetts -- is she perhaps returning to the land of her birth?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 04, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »

Per one of the 'Snipes, her identity has been scrubbed from the KFOX website, so it sounds like she's outta there. And her FB cover and profile pics both strongly suggest Massachusetts -- is she perhaps returning to the land of her birth?

She just got back from a vacay in MA... and we know her mom is getting on in years... I'm guessing she found a gig close to the old homestead.  She's not on the air this morning at KFOX.  She's posting songs about "bubbles" on FB -- a clue of some sort?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »
As of today, the radio-info.com message boards (which migrated to radiodiscussions.com about 6 months ago) have ceased operation.  I posted there as RadioJunkieMike and Radical also was a frequent poster.  No more.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 04, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
From the KFOX website:

"KFOX 98.5/102.1 Welcomes Back Chris Jackson to Mornings, starting December 10th. Jackson, a San Jose native, is a 20 year Bay Area radio veteran. He was an original crew member of KFOX, serving as co-host, creative director and lead writer. "

The name's not ringing a bell, but then I don't really have a long history of listening to them.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 04, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
FB Message from Dusti Rhodes to Annalisa:

"Dick wars. You in the crossfire. SUCKS! -! Must.lunch.soon. xox

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
As of today, the radio-info.com message boards (which migrated to radiodiscussions.com about 6 months ago) have ceased operation.  I posted there as RadioJunkieMike and Radical also was a frequent poster.  No more.

:'(  That bites.  Seems really sudden...if there was any warning, I wasn't paying attention.

ETA: at least I won't have to read the end-of-year-prediction thread where every single person on the forum predicts that Live 105 is going to flip next year. (Like has happened every year I've been over there.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:40:07 PM by radical347 »

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

While I don't do that Facepage thing, it seems perfectly reasonable that her profile has lots
of Bay State related items.  I think that would only be significant if it had changed recently.
Also, as AL is married, I would think a move back to New England is less likely for the obvious
reasons.  Just pure speculation on my part; I know little of her personal life.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
FB Message from Dusti Rhodes to Annalisa:

"Dick wars. You in the crossfire. SUCKS! -! Must.lunch.soon. xox

While we can read between the lines on that one, it would be interesting to know the details.
I don't follow the radio biz, but if the story comes out, perhaps someone can post it here.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: December 05, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »

While I don't do that Facepage thing, it seems perfectly reasonable that her profile has lots
of Bay State related items.  I think that would only be significant if it had changed recently.
Also, as AL is married, I would think a move back to New England is less likely for the obvious reasons.  Just pure speculation on my part; I know little of her personal life.

actually, AL got divorced a couple years ago. But I think it's clear she got fired (as opposed to having quit) so anything's possible if the right offer comes.