Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462696 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1185 on: July 15, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Guess I could have been confused (wouldn't be the first time), but I thought the great shuffle of KFOG/Bone airstaff was to take place starting today. But I tuned in to KFOG a few minutes ago and found that Tim J. is still on KFOG in the mornings, not the Bone in the afternoon. I guess that explains why there were no goodbyes or mention of a change in his schedule at the end of last Friday's morning show.

ETA: Guess I should have just been a l-e-e-e-e-t-le more patient. Tim just said his farewell to the morning show; the changes take place starting tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:59:04 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
Listening to AL's lunchtime thingy. A guy called and requested Billy Idol doing "Money Money". Heh.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 22, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
Listening to AL's lunchtime thingy. A guy called and requested Billy Idol doing "Money Money". Heh.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 25, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
AL's lunchtime thingy: she needed a song beginning with K -- and played "Keep Yourself Alive" by Queen. Stellar!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
Tuning around on my over-the-air radio to find KFOG and I come across Oldies 103.7 playing the Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun". Nice surprise, I didn't think Karen & Richard were in their wheelhouse these days.  Of course it was followed by Aerosmith's unnecessary "Sweet Emotion", so that was the end of that.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 31, 2013, 02:31:44 PM »
Tuning around on my over-the-air radio to find KFOG and I come across Oldies 103.7 playing the Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun". Nice surprise, I didn't think Karen & Richard were in their wheelhouse these days.  Of course it was followed by Aerosmith's unnecessary "Sweet Emotion", so that was the end of that.

Oldies 103.7 played Close To You this morning, just a little while after playing Yes' Owner Of A Lonely Heart!

btw, here's a really fab take on OOALH :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ws9DMWx2-g
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
2NG has been mind-blowingly wonderful today. They just played the partridges, "Point Me in the Direction of Albequerque" (TANC, Cap'n Jack!) followed by the Osmonds doing "The Proud One". swoon!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 31, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
Haven't noticed much new wave on 98.1 KISS FM lately.  Although, if it is gone then experiment lasted much longer than most of their other ones.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
Haven't noticed much new wave on 98.1 KISS FM lately.  Although, if it is gone then experiment lasted much longer than most of their other ones.

They're still playing Nu shooz, Soft Cell, Blondie, Modern English... but all those are more-or-less "danceable" and what I thought was dumb was playing stuff like Simple Minds.  So maybe they're scaling back on the less-necessary stuff. They're still the most listenable commercial station in town, for me.

ETA: heard in the 5:00 hour yesterday: Devo, Human League, Go-Go's.  What''s interesting is that their format was devised so that they wouldn't share songs with Oldies 103, which a year ago was leaning towards a lot of '70s AOR hits . Now they're adding a lot more '80s stuff.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:52:02 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 17, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
Apparently Clear Channel and KMEL showed Chuy Gomez the door yesterday after 20 years.

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2013/08/16/clear-channels-kmel-unceremoniously-fires-popular-bay-area-dj-chuy-gomez-after-20-years/?fb_source=pubv1

Care to guess where he might land?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
Ralph Barbieri settled his lawsuit against Cumulus before it went to trial -- for a cool 4 million.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2013/09/breaking-exclusive-barbieri-settles.html

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 20, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
Former Triple A (which had turned into a somewhat generic Classic Rock station the past two years) KMTT/Seattle flips to Hot AC:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/121856/triple-a-kmtt-flips-to-hot-ac

Which makes it the third Hot AC in the market.  There KPLZ (Star 101.5) and KLCK (which flipped from Smooth Jazz to Hot AC couple years back; after a brief stint as Alternative, they're Hot AC again).

Too bad.  This also means no more live CDs. (They have 18.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
latest SF radio ratings out:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009

KFOG dips to a 1.9 -- their lowest in ages.  (They were at 2.6 in June)  K-Fox down below 2 too. The Bone is at 2.5 and this has to fuel the Nash-FM rumors again.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 02, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
Wow, that's worse than DC's lowest point (which IIRC was a 2.2, which Pugh matched last month.)  And as low as I've seen it, ever.
KFOG's gotten stale, IMO.  It sounds at least as boring as when they had no PD.  I've been drifting over to Live 105 lately, even though that station isn't going through one of its more interesting phases either.
I wonder if they're trying to mitigate interest and/or just stop trying, and then kill it off with the excuse that it wasn't getting high enough ratings, like what just happened to KMTT/Seattle.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
I wonder if they're trying to mitigate interest and/or just stop trying, and then kill it off with the excuse that it wasn't getting high enough ratings, like what just happened to KMTT/Seattle.

I was thinking that too, tho' if they were intending to run it down, why bring back Webster? 10@10 and Connected have become the most interesting dayparts, by default.

So if they were to kill KFOG, would KFOX take up the Triple-A torch? They certainly couldn't do worse than they are now.

ETA: and it goes w/out saying that the KFOG Morning Show is just abysmal. Gory thinks "Random Storytime Over Sappy Piano Music" (he repeats that phrase every day) is the funniest thing anyone has ever thought of. Oy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:57:48 PM by RGMike »