Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462665 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1125 on: April 26, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »
I'm really digging this new Daft Punk song; it's almost a mid-'70s BeeGees kinda thing.  Really wondering whether KFOG will end up adding this one.

DC (a self-proclaimed Daft Punk fan) spun it on New Music Thursday this morning.  Live 105 has also been playing it like every other hour.

I want to love it because it's funky as hell but I just can't get past the inane lyrics.

"We've come too far to give up who we are / I'm up all night to have fun / she's up all night to get lucky / we're up all night to get lucky" WTF...it's as if they're defining themselves by having random sex in colloquial terms.

A funky song with inane lyrics? Gee, that NEVER happens.  ;)

TANC: I was about to comment that it's interesting that KFOG loves to add songs after Live 105 discovers them, but the opposite never seems to happen -- Live 105 isn't playing that OMD song, afaik.  And I wish they would... anyway I saw and liked your FB comment about it. Does KFOG only play it on Thursdays?

Thanks man!  Yeah, KFOG only plays the OMD song on Thursdays.  I checked Mediabase and no AAA or Alternative stations have OMD in regular rotation, yet.  It's a shame because they seem to be getting a LOT of buzz right now, and definitely more than their 2011 album (which was also a respectable effort.)  I have not even heard the OMD song on Live 105's new music program, Soundcheck.  But it does sound like something that would fit right in now, especially with all the electro-rock that's dominating the alternative chart and the new wave gems they've been throwing around lately.  Live 105 is also the current format leader for the new Depeche Mode song, "Soothe My Soul" which is pretty much a rehash of "Personal Jesus"...and much inferior to OMD's "Metroland" in my opinion. 

Although, Depeche Mode has somehow manage to stay relevant on alternative over the past two decades.  They're the only new wave band that has, for some reason.  The latest efforts by New Order or Simple Minds did nothing on any US chart, sadly.  Duran Duran's stuff from the last decade for some reason only charted on Alice(!!!)-like stations.

The only shared songs I know of that KFOG for sure got to first are Alabama Shakes "Hold On" and The Mowgli's "San Francisco."  Part of it has to do with the timing...a lot of songs are just plain released to one format first (usually the Americana-esque types are sent to AAA first, like Alabama Shakes, Lumineers, etc...but I couldn't tell who got to "Hey Ho" first because for an AAA station, KFOG was VERY late in picking that one up.  But the Mumfords and Black Keys generally get sent to Alternative first.)  KFOG also played Muse's "Panic Station" for a couple of weeks, way before Live picked up on it but KFOG has since dropped it and gone back to "Madness," whereas Live 105 is currently spinning the hell out of both of them.

That being said...KFOG on its own volition still rips off Live 105, because they've played a bunch of songs that other AAA stations barely touch and even sound out of format for AAA (Linkin Park, Passion Pit, M83, Neon Trees) and were onto a couple of others before they got released to AAA (Alex Clare, Grouplove.)  I'd include Capital Cities in this bunch as I don't see how it's any more AAA-friendly than Passion Pit or M83, but for some reason it's doing decently on a bunch of AAA stations.  I was rooting for KFOG doing this at first because after the changeover, in addition to ripping off a couple of Live songs, they also played songs that Live 105 should have played, but didn't (i.e. Airborne Toxic's "All I ever Wanted," Kooks, Givers.)  But now Live's gotten significantly better while KFOG has stagnated, even regressed a bit and the electro-alternative tracks really don't sound too good alongside Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton or Joan Osblorf.  I'm glad that both stations seem to be trying to out-do each other, though.  Both of them are more exciting than they've ever been in the past 5 years in my opinion.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 26, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
I'm really digging this new Daft Punk song; it's almost a mid-'70s BeeGees kinda thing.  Really wondering whether KFOG will end up adding this one.

DC (a self-proclaimed Daft Punk fan) spun it on New Music Thursday this morning.  Live 105 has also been playing it like every other hour.

I want to love it because it's funky as hell but I just can't get past the inane lyrics.

"We've come too far to give up who we are / I'm up all night to have fun / she's up all night to get lucky / we're up all night to get lucky" WTF...it's as if they're defining themselves by having random sex in colloquial terms.

A funky song with inane lyrics? Gee, that NEVER happens.  ;)

TANC: I was about to comment that it's interesting that KFOG loves to add songs after Live 105 discovers them, but the opposite never seems to happen -- Live 105 isn't playing that OMD song, afaik.  And I wish they would... anyway I saw and liked your FB comment about it. Does KFOG only play it on Thursdays?

Thanks man!  Yeah, KFOG only plays the OMD song on Thursdays.  I checked Mediabase and no AAA or Alternative stations have OMD in regular rotation, yet.  It's a shame because they seem to be getting a LOT of buzz right now, and definitely more than their 2011 album (which was also a respectable effort.)  I have not even heard the OMD song on Live 105's new music program, Soundcheck.  But it does sound like something that would fit right in now, especially with all the electro-rock that's dominating the alternative chart and the new wave gems they've been throwing around lately.  Live 105 is also the current format leader for the new Depeche Mode song, "Soothe My Soul" which is pretty much a rehash of "Personal Jesus"...and much inferior to OMD's "Metroland" in my opinion. 

Although, Depeche Mode has somehow manage to stay relevant on alternative over the past two decades.  They're the only new wave band that has, for some reason.  The latest efforts by New Order or Simple Minds did nothing on any US chart, sadly.  Duran Duran's stuff from the last decade for some reason only charted on Alice(!!!)-like stations.

The only shared songs I know of that KFOG for sure got to first are Alabama Shakes "Hold On" and The Mowgli's "San Francisco."  Part of it has to do with the timing...a lot of songs are just plain released to one format first (usually the Americana-esque types are sent to AAA first, like Alabama Shakes, Lumineers, etc...but I couldn't tell who got to "Hey Ho" first because for an AAA station, KFOG was VERY late in picking that one up.  But the Mumfords and Black Keys generally get sent to Alternative first.)  KFOG also played Muse's "Panic Station" for a couple of weeks, way before Live picked up on it but KFOG has since dropped it and gone back to "Madness," whereas Live 105 is currently spinning the hell out of both of them.

That being said...KFOG on its own volition still rips off Live 105, because they've played a bunch of songs that other AAA stations barely touch and even sound out of format for AAA (Linkin Park, Passion Pit, M83, Neon Trees) and were onto a couple of others before they got released to AAA (Alex Clare, Grouplove.)  I'd include Capital Cities in this bunch as I don't see how it's any more AAA-friendly than Passion Pit or M83, but for some reason it's doing decently on a bunch of AAA stations.  I was rooting for KFOG doing this at first because after the changeover, in addition to ripping off a couple of Live songs, they also played songs that Live 105 should have played, but didn't (i.e. Airborne Toxic's "All I ever Wanted," Kooks, Givers.)  But now Live's gotten significantly better while KFOG has stagnated, even regressed a bit and the electro-alternative tracks really don't sound too good alongside Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton or Joan Osblorf.  I'm glad that both stations seem to be trying to out-do each other, though.  Both of them are more exciting than they've ever been in the past 5 years in my opinion.

Wow! Great analysis! For what it's worth, it does seem as if KFOG has been trying to expand a little bit in its playlist - I never thought "Genius Of Love" as even being tangentially-AAA material, but sure enough it came on last night.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
I really hate these bullshit "multi-city" radio contests where you text them a word and are entered to win a thousand bucks -- you're competing against several hundred thousand people all over the country. Sad that Live 105 is doing one of these via CBS. Kiss-FM (Clear Channel) does it too.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 30, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »
Live 105 brings back the "Screamer of the Week". This week it's "Hurricane" by a Brooklyn band called Miss Mister. A bit too Florence/Machine-meets-whoever for me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
NTM but apparently old: The Forest Hillbillies, doing a ska version of the Munsters theme. another one pulled out of mothballs on Masters in the Morning.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 01, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
NTM but apparently old: The Forest Hillbillies, doing a ska version of the Munsters theme. another one pulled out of mothballs on Masters in the Morning.

Also this morning: 6:30 The Stranglers' "Ice Queen" and 8:30 Camouflage's "The Great Commandment" - the latter also played on April 3, which makes it the first vinyl repeat I've heard on his show.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:28 PM »
Meant to mention that Masters spent a surprising amount of time talking about the Jason Collins thing yesterday and tied it all in with a spiel about how Live 105 has always reached out to the LGBT community and how it used to become "K-GAY" every Pride Weekend. Of course, it's been a good 5 or 6 years since they did that but it made me wonder if maybe they'll bring it back this year as part of their new retro-ish attitude. It was always a hoot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
Live 105 "Screamer of the Week": Phoenix's new one, "Trying to be Cool".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
Any Rick Dees fans left in the world?  he's now carried locally on 92.7 The Rev, 6-10 am.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/118075/royce-adds-rick-dees-in-mornings-for-san-francisco#ixzz2SZ5BVPS3

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
Tonite at 9, Live 105 will be playing the entire new Daft Punk album. Remember when stations used to do that sorta thing all the time?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 13, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
New local radio ratings are out. same-old, same-old again: KFOG up a tick, K-Fox and the Bone down a tick. Live 105 also down a tick, sadly -- so far their "reboot" hasn't caused any upward movement.  That's too bad.

KNBR, predictably, shoots from a 3.1 to a 6.0 now that the Giants are back. They're #1, beating KQED by 5-tenths of a point.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Tonite at 9, Live 105 will be playing the entire new Daft Punk album. Remember when stations used to do that sorta thing all the time?

Oh yes, how I miss those days.

But how much money would one've won if when posed the question back in, say, 2005 (In 2013 a prominent radio station will play ACT X's album in its entirety), and you said "Daft Punk"?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
New local radio ratings are out. same-old, same-old again: KFOG up a tick, K-Fox and the Bone down a tick. Live 105 also down a tick, sadly -- so far their "reboot" hasn't caused any upward movement.  That's too bad.

KNBR, predictably, shoots from a 3.1 to a 6.0 now that the Giants are back. They're #1, beating KQED by 5-tenths of a point.

Judging by this, if Marty Lurie isn't being paid $1MM/yr, something's wrong.  :P

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 13, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »

Oh yes, how I miss those days.

BTW, that Daft Punk tune ("Get Lucky") is the #1 single in the UK this week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 14, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
Live 105 plays Butthole Surfers, "Pepper", which I hadn't heard in some time -- not since AL played it on 10@10 a few years ago.

Per someone on the radio-info.com SF board, Live 105, despite their anemic overall ratings, are Top 5 in the 18-34 demo. News to me.

ETA: 8:30 "modern mix" was a 12" version of "True Faith".

When I was a very small boy
Michael Jackson talked to me...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:33:39 AM by RGMike »