Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462750 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1095 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Promo on Live 105 just now with a listenern saying: "what I like about Live 105 is that the deejays actually sound like they know what they're talking about. Unlike *cough* KFOG"

Wow, really?

That's ballsy. True, but ballsy.

I can't tell if "know what they're talking about" is literal (as in "they're smart") or more like "they're hipper". Because to my ears everyone on Live 105 sounds like a perpetual adolescent, even the ones who are older, like Masters and No-Name.  DUUUUDE! Awwwwesommme!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 11, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
Promo on Live 105 just now with a listenern saying: "what I like about Live 105 is that the deejays actually sound like they know what they're talking about. Unlike *cough* KFOG"

Wow, really?

That's ballsy. True, but ballsy.

I can't tell if "know what they're talking about" is literal (as in "they're smart") or more like "they're hipper". Because to my ears everyone on Live 105 sounds like a perpetual adolescent, even the ones who are older, like Masters and No-Name.  DUUUUDE! Awwwwesommme!

That's true, but I think it works well for their audience and station image.

KFOG, on the other hand...I'm not really sure what they're trying to portray with their on-air staff, if anything.  DJs have not really been their strong point (at least since 2009) in my opinion.  The ones from this time frame I've actually liked are AL, who's no longer there, Rosalie, who's hardly ever on, and Dred.  Gory has a good voice but seems to have a little much of an axe to grind (though to be fair so does Dred but at least Dred has a sense of humor about it.  Gory doesn't.)  Then there are/were a bunch that are pleasant but unmemorable...Jeffries, Rockwell, Webster, and whoever the new Dean Kay person is.  Everyone else circa 2009+ (unless I'm forgetting someone) sounded, to me, like nails on a chalkboard.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:27:20 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »
Is it me, or does the lead singer of Imagine Dragons sound like he's channeling Jazn Mrazzz?

ditto the lead singer of The Neighborhood. seriously, Mraz's voice annoys the crap out of me and to hear all these guys imitating him is beyond ridiculous.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
so, Masters has been giving away tix to some "secret" Soundgarden acoustic private concert tonite, asking people to call in and say why they should win -- how they're connected to Soundgarden (emotionally, spritually, whatever).  And this guy calls in, he sounds older than me, he's trying to give Masters a story about how his wife really needs to go to a show because she just retired and... I'm thinking "retired"??   Way to attract that younger demo, guys!

OTOH, they just played the 12" mix of OMD's "If You Leave" which I hadn't heard since 1986, probably.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:33:34 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 15, 2013, 07:41:59 AM »
more interesting lost gems on Live 105: Chameleons, "Up the Down Staircase" and Kraftwerk "Pocket Calculator". Almost makes suffering thru Coldplay worthwhile.

OMG: Dead or Alive, the 12" version of "Lover Come Back to Me"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:31:47 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
March radio ratings out: same-old, same-old for the most part. KFOG and K-Fox dip, The Bone and Live 105 up slightly (tho' we'll wait until next month to see if Masters has had any effect). Alice is ahead of all of them, and I still don't know who listens to that station, in a market with 3 CHRs and an upbeat AC like Star 101.  We had Alice on in the gym the other  day -- first time I'd heard them in years -- and it was lots of currents and recurrents (Fun., Bruno Mars, etc) and very little gold (the better not to compete with Live 105 I guess).  Oldies 103 is tied for 5th place -- kind of amazing.

ETA: I just tuned past Star 101 and even THEY play the Lumineers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:07:17 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
Pleasant surprise on Kiss-FM: Madonna's "Burning Up", from her first LP, tho' it was never a single. Hadn't heard that in a dog's age.

Also: Men Without Hats' *other* hit, "Pop Goes the World".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:55:23 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
ETA: I just tuned past Star 101 and even THEY play the Lumineers.

I wouldn't be surprised if KREV or NOW 99.7 played it too.  It somehow went Top 3 on CHR/Pop.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
AL doing that lunchtime "last letter/first letter" song title thingy and when she needed an "F" song she played "Friday on my Mind" -- and it was the version by Earthquake! Damn, she probably got docked an hour's pay for that.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 19, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
On Live 105 it seems like Steve Masters has settled into playing a forgotten gem at approximately 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30...the 8:30 one is being played up as his Modern Mix track.  Today:
6:30 New Order - Your Silent Face
7:30 Chapterhouse - Pearl
8:30 Westworld - Painkiller

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 19, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
On Live 105 it seems like Steve Masters has settled into playing a forgotten gem at approximately 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30...the 8:30 one is being played up as his Modern Mix track.  Today:
6:30 New Order - Your Silent Face
7:30 Chapterhouse - Pearl
8:30 Westworld - Painkiller

He also played the new Daft Punk.  Guessing KFOG won't add that one.

there's an oddly schizoid vibe with the Masters show -- they brought him on to bring older listeners back but yet he keeps having to explain to the young'uns who he is and why they should care.  The lack of a newsperson suddenly became an issue during the Boston stuff this week.

ETA: just heard Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" for the 3rd time this week. A song I need to hear once a year, tops.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:52:41 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
Tomorrow -- for 4/20 -- K-Fox is giving away Doobies tix. Heh.  "Whenever you hear us roll some Doobies -- call in and win!"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
ETA: just heard Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" for the 3rd time this week. A song I need to hear once a year, tops.

The video for that song is amusing.  If memory serves, it riffs on a lot of the visual tropes from
various MJ videos, such as the lit sidewalk panels in Billie Jean.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »

The video for that song is amusing.  If memory serves, it riffs on a lot of the visual tropes from
various MJ videos, such as the lit sidewalk panels in Billie Jean.

And I'd say that it certainly belongs in a 2001 10@10 one of these days.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
The lack of a newsperson suddenly became an issue during the Boston stuff this week.

Speaking of which, I wonder how KFOX's morning newscasts went this week.