Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462693 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1050 on: March 20, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
Learned last night that our local AM oldies station, KLYC, is going off the air this Friday. The owner passed away about a year or so ago, and his widow had entered an agreement to sell with another radio vet. But the deal collapsed last week when they could not get FCC certification, supposedly because the station is still using outdated hardware that would be prohibitive to bring up to code.

Sad day for me, as I had grown to enjoy their mix of local events, folksy djs, and a range of music ranging from 50s rock to 70s and 80s pop. Not to mention that they were the only electronic media in our county, so could be counted on for breaking news and other stories centered on our county. They were really old school--they didn't even have a web site (and of course no web streaming) but they do have a Facebook page--with 24 likes!

Their final signoff is this Friday at 1pm (aka 1260, which was their frequency).

You can't fight progress. Sigh.  RIP KLYC.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 20, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
Learned last night that our local AM oldies station, KLYC, is going off the air this Friday. The owner passed away about a year or so ago, and his widow had entered an agreement to sell with another radio vet. But the deal collapsed last week when they could not get FCC certification, supposedly because the station is still using outdated hardware that would be prohibitive to bring up to code.

Sad day for me, as I had grown to enjoy their mix of local events, folksy djs, and a range of music ranging from 50s rock to 70s and 80s pop. Not to mention that they were the only electronic media in our county, so could be counted on for breaking news and other stories centered on our county. They were really old school--they didn't even have a web site (and of course no web streaming) but they do have a Facebook page--with 24 likes!

Their final signoff is this Friday at 1pm (aka 1260, which was their frequency).

sad, sad, sad.  Local radio (especially on AM) is truly an endangered species. When I think of how great a station like WLNG is --and successful too -- it really makes the number of stations that disappear that much more depressing. Your description, "mix of local events, folksy djs, and a range of music ranging from 50s rock to 70s and 80s pop" describes WLNG to a "T", and they make a mint out there on Eastern LI. (This year happens to be their 50th anniv.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »

sad, sad, sad.  Local radio (especially on AM) is truly an endangered species. When I think of how great a station like WLNG is --and successful too -- it really makes the number of stations that disappear that much more depressing. Your description, "mix of local events, folksy djs, and a range of music ranging from 50s rock to 70s and 80s pop" describes WLNG to a "T", and they make a mint out there on Eastern LI. (This year happens to be their 50th anniv.)

ugh.  sorry to hear that.   
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 26, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Holee crap!!  Steve Masters returning to Live 105 to do Mornings starting this coming Monday. Wow.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/116747/steve-masters-joins-live-105-san-francisco-for-mor

All they need now is Webb Fingers to do surf reports.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 27, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
Holee crap!!  Steve Masters returning to Live 105 to do Mornings starting this coming Monday. Wow.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/116747/steve-masters-joins-live-105-san-francisco-for-mor

Aidan Viziri posted an item about it on SFGate:

http://blog.sfgate.com/loaded/2013/03/27/masters105/

ETA: been listening to Live 105 for the past hour and none of the "alt oldies" they've played would be out-of-place on KFOG (Pixies "Here Comes Your man" and the like). Perfectly pleasant, but nothing that made me say "wow, haven't heard THIS in a long time".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 28, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

Aidan Viziri posted an item about it on SFGate:

http://blog.sfgate.com/loaded/2013/03/27/masters105/

ETA: been listening to Live 105 for the past hour and none of the "alt oldies" they've played would be out-of-place on KFOG (Pixies "Here Comes Your man" and the like). Perfectly pleasant, but nothing that made me say "wow, haven't heard THIS in a long time".

On a workday afternoon, it's unlikely.  But they've been a little ballsier on the weekends.  A month or two ago when they did the 49 hour "gold rush" for the 49ers, they threw in a bunch of tracks like "88 Lines About 44 Women," "Master & Servant," "Everything Counts," "Strip," "Destination Unknown," "Anarchy in the UK," and even Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls"...  :o    Some of these have been showing up on weekends since then.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
a bunch of tracks like "88 Lines About 44 Women," "Master & Servant," "Everything Counts," "Strip," "Destination Unknown," "Anarchy in the UK," and even Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls"...  :o    Some of these have been showing up on weekends since then.

"Everything Counts" may be my fave DM song. And it truly is one you rarely hear.

I'm really anxious to see what this does for their ratings and what direction it may push KFOG in.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 29, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
a bunch of tracks like "88 Lines About 44 Women," "Master & Servant," "Everything Counts," "Strip," "Destination Unknown," "Anarchy in the UK," and even Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls"...  :o    Some of these have been showing up on weekends since then.

"Everything Counts" may be my fave DM song. And it truly is one you rarely hear.

I'm really anxious to see what this does for their ratings and what direction it may push KFOG in.

Now that I'm back to listening to over-the-air radio (at least temporarily), I'm checking out Live 105 -- they're jockless this morning in anticipation of Mr Master's arrival Monday.  Just heard the Primitives "Crash".

I'm awaiting Steve Masters with bated breath -- guess that means I'm Masters-bate-ing.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:32 AM »

Now that I'm back to listening to over-the-air radio (at least temporarily), I'm checking out Live 105 -- they're jockless this morning in anticipation of Mr Master's arrival Monday.  Just heard the Primitives "Crash".

I'm awaiting Steve Masters with bated breath -- guess that means I'm Masters-bate-ing.

Been listening to Masters this morning. So far it seems another case of hring a big name talent and then not letting him say very much.  Their "traffic chick" makes Cinema Sam sound like Judi Dench.

OMFG: a Nik Kershaw song that isn't "Wouldn't It Be Good": "The Riddle", which I haven't heard on the radio in ages. Nice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:56:39 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 01, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
I was able to catch a few minutes before heading to work & heard him play "one from [his] personal record collection" -- The Model by Kraftwerk.  With a respectable segue into Death Cab's Soul Meets Body.  Not bad.

They bumped the previous morning guy to 7-10 pm, and the previous evening guy to weekdays 12-3 am.  :o. When was the last time that stations had DJs that late?  Mix 106 is the latest I know of around here, until 1 am.

When KFOG went younger, they gave Live 105 exactly what it needed in my opinion...a swift kick in the pants.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »
I was able to catch a few minutes before heading to work & heard him play "one from [his] personal record collection" -- The Model by Kraftwerk.  With a respectable segue into Death Cab's Soul Meets Body.  Not bad.

They bumped the previous morning guy to 7-10 pm, and the previous evening guy to weekdays 12-3 am.  :o. When was the last time that stations had DJs that late?  Mix 106 is the latest I know of around here, until 1 am.

When KFOG went younger, they gave Live 105 exactly what it needed in my opinion...a swift kick in the pants.

I just heard "Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis for the first time -- wow. It that song getting pop/urban airplay?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
wow, Masters is only working a 3-hour shift, 6-to-9?  Nice.

Also nice: B-Movie, "Nowhere Girl", another classic I haven't heard in a while.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »
107.7 The Bone morning show jocks Lamont & Tonelli seem to be gone. 

nightime DJ Nikki Blakk is on today, with "Chasta on Traffic" (who was dong traffic w L&T)  and some dude doing news.  Within one second of tuning in, I was rolling my eyes.  Lots of giggling and wacky news bits "dude drove INTO Walmart..!  Into a PALLET OF BEER!  GUFFAW!"  at least she likes (and knows) the music. 

ETA: apparently it's an April Fool's joke.  OK, now back to Ta-Ta Tuesdays, Do You A Favor Thursdays, Dirty Fridays and assorted buffoonery.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:47:10 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

nightime DJ Nikki Blakk is on today, with "Chasta on Traffic" (who was dong traffic w L&T)  and some dude doing news.  Within one second of tuning in, I was rolling my eyes.  Lots of giggling and wacky news bits "dude drove INTO Walmart..!  Into a PALLET OF BEER!  GUFFAW!"  at least she likes (and knows) the music.

wow -- if Ms Blakk is a permanent replacement, it makes me think AL on K-Fox was cutting into their numbers. OTOH... maybe this was an April Fool's thing? I can't find a story anywhere about them being fired, which would surely be news if they were.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 01, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »

wow -- if Ms Blakk is a permanent replacement, it makes me think AL on K-Fox was cutting into their numbers. OTOH... maybe this was an April Fool's thing? I can't find a story anywhere about them being fired, which would surely be news if they were.

yes, it was April Fool's.  L&T do very well for The Bone, so I've been told by someone at the station a couple years back at one of those KFOG Live & Local morning appearances.
~CPL593H~