Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462694 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1035 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
Annalisa has been off Friday and today, with Webster being the go-to morning fill-in guy now at K-Fox.

It may be too early to say, but to my ears (with limited listening-time, obviously) it seems like the new PD there is scaling back on the '90s stuff.  That would be nice, and would differentiate them from the Bone. I actually heard Beck's "Devil's Haircut" on the Bone the other day and I thought that sounded kinda out-of-place.

ETA: looking at the recent K-Fox "just played" I see only 4 or 5 '90s tracks in 8 hours, whereas recently it had been more like 2 an hour.  When listeing to AL in the mornings I personally found, say, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the same hour (or Nirvana and STPs) a bit much, but then I'm old.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:14:16 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 12, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
Annalisa has been off Friday and today, with Webster being the go-to morning fill-in guy now at K-Fox.

It may be too early to say, but to my ears (with limited listening-time, obviously) it seems like the new PD there is scaling back on the '90s stuff.  That would be nice, and would differentiate them from the Bone. I actually heard Beck's "Devil's Haircut" on the Bone the other day and I thought that sounded kinda out-of-place.

ETA: looking at the recent K-Fox "just played" I see only 4 or 5 '90s tracks in 8 hours, whereas recently it had been more like 2 an hour.  When listeing to AL in the mornings I personally found, say, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden in the same hour (or Nirvana and STPs) a bit much, but then I'm old.

guess AL is on vacay -- Webster was on again today. No clues on her FB page. And looking at 8 hours of playlist again today, it does seem like less '90s. But this is weird: both Eddie Money's "Think I'm in Love" and Queen's "Crazy Little thing" got played twice in less than 3 hours. Automation is supposed to prevent that sorta thing, no?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
latest ratings:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009

Not much change since last month as far as the cluster(fuck) of stations we care about are concerned -- KFOG, the Bone, Live 105 K-Fox all pretty much unchanged.

KOIT plummeted from 7.8 to 4.7 because the holidays are over. Oldies 103 up a bunch after losing listeners to KOIT at Xmastime.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
AL on K-Fox this morning: "People will think I'm some kinda Dave Grohl fanatic or something" Gee, ya think?  :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
I've put up with a lot listening to K-Fox in the mornings the past few months. But hearing that godawful Kid Rock song that samples "Sweet Home Alabama" today may have been the last straw.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »
I've put up with a lot listening to K-Fox in the mornings the past few months. But hearing that godawful Kid Rock song that samples "Sweet Home Alabama" today may have been the last straw.

*shudder*

I didn't get Kid Rock in the first place; with that song, I never will.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »

*shudder*

Me three. I am still amazed that he got signed in the first place (back when bands still got signed). Seems like a redneck bar band that got really lucky.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »

*shudder*

Me three. I am still amazed that he got signed in the first place (back when bands still got signed). Seems like a redneck bar band that got really lucky.

it was that (thankfully brief) bubble of "rock'n'rap" (see also: Limp Bizkit).  The Bone plays that song too, I think, and it's clearly because of the Skynyrd sample and not because of any Kid Rock fan base here.  I understand  trying to "youth-ify" your demos but cume is important too and I gotta think that song makes every listener over 40 change the station.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »

*shudder*

it was that (thankfully brief) bubble of "rock'n'rap" (see also: Limp Bizkit).  The Bone plays that song too, I think, and it's clearly because of the Skynyrd sample and not because of any Kid Rock fan base here.  I understand  trying to "youth-ify" your demos but cume is important too and I gotta think that song makes every listener over 40 change the station.

I don't know. He's stayed (relatively) popular by pandering, and that can lure in people of all ages. The Werewolves of London sample didn't grab you?
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 14, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »

*shudder*

I don't know. He's stayed (relatively) popular by pandering, and that can lure in people of all ages. The Werewolves of London sample didn't grab you?

that one song he has that starts off with him yelling MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID was an attention getter.  The one with the lyrics that go "Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy."  Yes, I'm serious, I like it.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »

*shudder*

Both "Werewolves" and "Alabama" are songs I never need to hear again, ever. I realize he's big in the midwest & south but I don't know that he ever got consistent airplay in this market.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »

*shudder*

that one song he has that starts off with him yelling MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID was an attention getter.  The one with the lyrics that go "Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy."  Yes, I'm serious, I like it.

Me, too. And while I'm confessing, I'll admit to liking "Nookie." But I was NOT one if those a-holes at Woodstock '99.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »

*shudder*

"Cowboy" is on my all-time guilty pleasure list. "Nookie" is on my "really sucks, but I gotta admit it's catchy" list.

"All Summer Long"... yeah, it's the worst sort of "sample a classic, they'll eat it up" type of tune around, but honestly I'm ambivalent about it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 15, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
I like Nookie too.  I wouldn't be surprised if that shows up on 10@10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »
New ratings are out:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009

same-old, same-old. KFOG, the Bone, K-Fox and Live 105 all pretty much where they were last month.  Ditto Kiss-FM and Oldies 103.5.