Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462700 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1020 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Someone on FB mentioned they were listening to Oldies 103.7 and I quipped "have you heard American Pie or Hey Jude yet? it usually happens within half an hour of tuning them in"... and he replied "LOL! they just played Hey Jude 15 mins ago!"  Oy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
K-Fox just seems to get worse.  Turned them on at 5:50 and they were playing a live Tom Petty track ...  less than an hour later they played him again. At 6:00 we got 3 Eagles songs in a row -- apparently a new "[insert artist here] for Breakfast" feature. AL's "Radio Rewind" segment is either shitcanned or else they're doing it later in the show.  And to top it all off, they've added Coldplay to the library -- AL played "Yellow". Yeesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 21, 2013, 08:12:55 AM »
and, for the first time in nearly 20 years, NYC has a country station.

http://www.examiner.com/article/and-the-format-wheel-stops-on

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
K-Fox just seems to get worse.  Turned them on at 5:50 and they were playing a live Tom Petty track ...  less than an hour later they played him again. At 6:00 we got 3 Eagles songs in a row -- apparently a new "[insert artist here] for Breakfast" feature. AL's "Radio Rewind" segment is either shitcanned or else they're doing it later in the show.  And to top it all off, they've added Coldplay to the library -- AL played "Yellow". Yeesh.

You ain't kiddin'. Listening to the commercial-free three hours, I heard Live and Let Die, Peace of Mind, Shout, Black Water, Double Vision, Start Me Up, and Losing My Religion. Which brings up the question: "What's more annoying, commercials or songs that have been played to death?"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:31:27 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 22, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
Today's hot rumor, per Rich Lieberman's blog, is that Cumulus is going to "de-Bone" 107.7 and switch it to country.  Cumulus has a nationally-syndicated country feed called "Nash-FM" that it is putting in markets where it owns stations, and making available in markets where it doesn't. It just bought a station in NYC (Harold Camping's old NY frequency) specifically to put "Nash-FM" on the air there.  It would make sense for them to want it on in SF, the 4th largest radio market.  It would make K-Fox very happy, too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 23, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
the Holiday (December thru New Year's) ratings are out. KOIT zoomed into first place with a 7.8 (yeah that Xmas crap really works). Most adult music formats dipped slightly as a result. Oddly, the Bone was up a bit

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 23, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
Today's hot rumor, per Rich Lieberman's blog, is that Cumulus is going to "de-Bone" 107.7 and switch it to country.  Cumulus has a nationally-syndicated country feed called "Nash-FM" that it is putting in markets where it owns stations, and making available in markets where it doesn't. It just bought a station in NYC (Harold Camping's old NY frequency) specifically to put "Nash-FM" on the air there.  It would make sense for them to want it on in SF, the 4th largest radio market.  It would make K-Fox very happy, too.

When the bullet hits The Bone
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 24, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »

credit where credit is due: AL's "Breakfast with..." feature at 6am today  was 3 Stones songs -- not only that but all 3 were from Let it Bleed: "Gimme Shelter", "Monkey Man" and the little-heard "Country Honk" (a subtle dig at Cumulus' plans?). Not too shabby, and it almost made up for the fact that they keep adding more '90s/'00s songs to their mix. Heard STP "Plush" and Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun" in the last 2 mornings. Feh.

Anyone know if KFOG still does "6 o'clock Stones" every morning?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:40:58 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1028 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »

credit where credit is due: AL's "Breakfast with..." feature at 6am today  was 3 Stones songs -- not only that but all 3 were from Let it Bleed: "Gimme Shelter", "Monkey Man" and the little-heard "Country Honk" (a subtle dig at Cumulus' plans?). Not too shabby, and it almost made up for the fact that they keep adding more '90s/'00s songs to their mix. Heard STP "Plush" and Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun" in the last 2 mornings. Feh.

Anyone know if KFOG still does "6 o'clock Stones" every morning?
yes, I hear it usually in the morning, depending on other factors of my schedule.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
This morning's "Breakfast with..." on K-Fox was RHCPs. I lost my appetite.

And someone on the "Fogheads for the old format" FB page said that (per a convo on the KFOG Morning Show) neither Greg G nor Tim J knew what a dobro is. What the what? The mind reels.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
Is The Bone simulcasting the Super Bowl on Sunday?  If so, I'm thinking Monday morning would be a good time for them to flip formats -- lots of radios will be tuned to 107.7 when they get turned off after the game Sun nite and when they're switchwed back on Monday morning --- SURPRISE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Is The Bone simulcasting the Super Bowl on Sunday?  If so, I'm thinking Monday morning would be a good time for them to flip formats -- lots of radios will be tuned to 107.7 when they get turned off after the game Sun nite and when they're switchwed back on Monday morning --- SURPRISE!

I think they will be doing the game. Lament and ToeNail-y hav been doing a remote from New Orleans this week. They've had all manner of sports talking heads on, they had some other jocks talking about tuning in the game and turning down the Teevee.  Not a bad idea (except for commercials, which are part of the fun).  and they keep using the "You official Forty-Niner game day station" bumper.  So yes.

Format changing -- think it's a done deal?  What does Rich "Crystal Meth Ball" Lieberman* say?

* I am not implying drug use on his part of any kind.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Format changing -- think it's a done deal?  What does Rich "Crystal Meth Ball" Lieberman* say?

Hard to say -- The Bone has been beating K-Fox of late, but both stations tend to fluctuate. I'm not sure how good their billing is. KFOG's billing has traditionally been very good, or better than you'd expect compared to their ratings.  I'm sure Cumulus would *like* to have their national cunt-ry format on the air here, but their only options are 104.5 and 107.7

L&T should stay in N'awlins another week, for Mardi Gras, so they can see how "Ta-Tas Tuesday" is *really* done.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 01, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »

Hard to say -- The Bone has been beating K-Fox of late, but both stations tend to fluctuate. I'm not sure how good their billing is. KFOG's billing has traditionally been very good, or better than you'd expect compared to their ratings.  I'm sure Cumulus would *like* to have their national cunt-ry format on the air here, but their only options are 104.5 and 107.7

L&T should stay in N'awlins another week, for Mardi Gras, so they can see how "Ta-Tas Tuesday" is *really* done.

Think those Ta-Ta Tuesday bits are real?  How many 58 year old ex-biker chicks are out there flashing any old bumper sticker they see on I-880 anyway?

I say NONE. 

And the phony phone calls are probably as fake as the imaginary boobs.  It's obvious they're edited down (in any case), but who in their right mind would come on a call through til the end, and then sign a release for airplay when they come off as they biggest effin' mean-spirited hick ignoramus in the state? 

And are there REALLY that many people with countrified southern drawl accents in Northern Cal?  I know there are many rednecks in this part of the world, but do they all talk like Jed Clampett?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 07, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
ya can't make this stuff up:  K-Fox played a Grocery Outlet "BOGO a-go-go" commercial, followed by one for TOGO's.