Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 462738 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1005 on: December 13, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
And KRTY does well in the South Bay.

The South Bay is a whole different kettle of fish, man. I work down there, and it has a noticeable hick element. Before the tech boom, San Jose wasn't much different than Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Salinas, and points south.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
Live 105 has added a bunch of overplayed 80s, 90s, & 00s tracks to the mix and is now calling themselves "Everything Alternative."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 22, 2012, 05:42:41 AM »
Tim McGraw is a good looking guy, married to Faith Hill who is also a Country singer. They're both incredibly successful. He attended college on a baseball scholarship. But he HAS to sing songs as if he's a blue collar worker who didn't get an education and is struggling to pay his bills.

Bruce Springsteen

There is no doubt in my mind that Bruce Springsteen's talent exceeds approximately 100% of the country world, and that he's more sincere than approximately 100% of the country world. That said, the G-snipe love for him borders on lunacy.

And I don't know NY well at all, but I'd have to say that the Bay Area would almost have to be more country music-receptive. And given that there aren't any country stations in the Bay Area proper, I would have to think one would not make the top ten, or even the top forty, in NY>

If you mean NYC proper (the 5 boroughs) then yeah, it's very, um, "urban" (and I don't mean Keith Urban).  But the NY 'burbs are as receptive to country as Concord or Livermore are here.  The Wolf did kinda OK here for a while but Entercom had other ideas. And KRTY does well in the South Bay.

Nyc's got a large transient population.  Young folks moving there for work, school. There prob a slight percentage of people who move there who like country music.  Of course, that's assuming you're gonna like country if you're from "country" country.  Who's to say there isn't come kid in East New York who adores songs about pickups and porches.  It might happen.....  Okay, stop laughing.   

Anyhoo, it would get some numbers, but not big'uns.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Latest ratings out: KFOG and The Bone bounce up (and to a lesser degree K-Fox does too). Live 105 is foundering.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 27, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Live 105 is foundering.

Oh oh oh oh oh [pound kettle drum]
oh oh oh oh oh [strum acoustic guitar]
oh oh oh oh oh [stroke beard]
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 27, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Latest ratings out: KFOG and The Bone bounce up (and to a lesser degree K-Fox does too). Live 105 is foundering.

NPR is #1? We really do deserve our rep, don't we?
Slipping into something

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 27, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

NPR is #1? We really do deserve our rep, don't we?

It used to be a tight race between KQED and KGO, but since Cumulus castrated and lobotomized KGO a year ago, KQED has had smooth sailing.  Only KNBR during the last 2 ratings periods of the baseball season managed to beat them (for obvious reasons).

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
Live 105 is foundering.

Ouch.  :-X  While their signal isn't the strongest, 1.4 is the weakest I've seen for that station, ever.
When they were in their "Energy 105" phase earlier this year they were pulling in about 2.4.  They also sounded good.  They should go back to that.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
B F-T borrows a page from the Herb Caen playbook and does a end-of-year shoutout to the local radio community in verse. Managed to get most of the KFOG personalities past and present in (save for Steve Rockwell and Irish Greg). Herb would be proud.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/A-year-s-end-poem-from-your-radio-friend-4138478.php
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 04, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
Listening to "Soul et Funk", the French stream formerly known as "Radio Sebb" and lo, they're playing Joe Bataan's groovy instrumental take on Gil Sccott Heron's "The Bottle". Nice.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
I wake up to Annalisa out of loyalty -- it's nice to hear her voice -- but K-Fox's endless recycling of the most obvious classic rock tracks ever is really trying.  This morning they played the Doors twice in a half-hour: "Light my Fire" at 5:50 and "People Are Strange" at 6:20. Seriously, WTF?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
I wake up to Annalisa out of loyalty -- it's nice to hear her voice -- but K-Fox's endless recycling of the most obvious classic rock tracks ever is really trying.  This morning they played the Doors twice in a half-hour: "Light my Fire" at 5:50 and "People Are Strange" at 6:20. Seriously, WTF?

I'd be happy to listen in in the morning as I get ready for work but I can't for the life of me pick up KFOX in Marin. Not sure if there's another station blocking their signal but it's not happening in San Rafael.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 14, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »

I'd be happy to listen in in the morning as I get ready for work but I can't for the life of me pick up KFOX in Marin. Not sure if there's another station blocking their signal but it's not happening in San Rafael.

I'm able to pick it up from Novato to Larkspur (102.1 seems to work better). Of course, as Mike points out, given their music roster, there isn't much point. Of course, we do have the Sharks coming up.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »

I'm able to pick it up from Novato to Larkspur (102.1 seems to work better). Of course, as Mike points out, given their music roster, there isn't much point. Of course, we do have the Sharks coming up.

Part of the blame could lie with the crappy pre-Civil War clock radio that I'm using to to tune it in. KFOG and KISS come in fine; KFOX not so much.
Let's get right to it.