Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1419995 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1500 on: August 29, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
3 terrific lost hits in a row at the close of Hour #1:

The Pointers with "How Long (Betcha Got a Chick on the Side)"; Ms Reddy makes her (seemingly) weekly appearance with "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady"; and the Osmonds get a BOS for one of their loveliest perfs on "The Proud One", rescuing a 1966 Frankie Valli solo flop from oblivion.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »
Casey's '80s this week hit the last week of August 1987, a period I remember well.  I was just starting 9th grade, feeling socially awkward, and a bit jealous of Tiffany and Debbie Gibson for succeeding on the charts despite being younger than me.  The Starship's long-forgotten "It's Not Over Til It's Over" was in the Top 10, as were two lovely and equally forgotten ballads from people who went off the deep end years later: Whitney Houston's "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and MJ's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."  Worth seeking this one out - I'm looking at you, radical347 and sfguy.  ;)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »
VHMs to Johnny Wakelin's long-forgotten "Black Superman" and the Carpenters, giving Wacky Sedaky's lovely "Solitaire" (which can be saccharine in the wrong hands) a fine reading -- bet Mr Manilow wishes he'd covered it first, but he was too busy ripping off Chopin.

"Cultural Blind Spot" award to ZZT for mispronouncing "Tush". Oy vey!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
VHMs to Johnny Wakelin's long-forgotten "Black Superman" and the Carpenters, giving Wacky Sedaky's lovely "Solitaire" (which can be saccharine in the wrong hands) a fine reading -- bet Mr Manilow wishes he'd covered it first, but he was too busy ripping off Chopin.

wait, how do you pronounce it?  I thought it was said "toosh"?  Are you thinking of "tuchas"  (TOOK-uhs)?

Black Superman was one I'd forgotten.  Not the best crafted set of lyrics -- some of the rhymes and cadences were forces, to say the least -- but the AT40 is a nice way to be re-exposed to this homage to The Greatest. 

I liked Solitaire, too.  sultry vox, and her drumming was pretty good!

WOS to Run Joey Run -- as if I needed to say that.

I just found another stream that is starting the countdown all over, so I'm hearing the low charters.  BOS to Tavares, so far.  love it.  The Pointer Sisters HOW LONG (BETCHA’ GOT A CHICK ON THE SIDE) is wonderful.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 30, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »

wait, how do you pronounce it?  I thought it was said "toosh"?  Are you thinking of "tuchas"  (TOOK-uhs)?

No, it's supposed to rhyme with "push," but in the song they sing it as if it rhymes with "plush."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1505 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:20 AM »
Casey's '80s this week hit the last week of August 1987, a period I remember well.  I was just starting 9th grade, feeling socially awkward, and a bit jealous of Tiffany and Debbie Gibson for succeeding on the charts despite being younger than me.  The Starship's long-forgotten "It's Not Over Til It's Over" was in the Top 10, as were two lovely and equally forgotten ballads from people who went off the deep end years later: Whitney Houston's "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and MJ's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."  Worth seeking this one out - I'm looking at you, radical347 and sfguy.  ;)

The XM version screwed up playing the same show as last Sunday morning: August of 1985. #1 was Tears For Fears - Shout.

I'm more into the early 1980's (even 1979 is OK with me) but I lose interest after 1985.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 02, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »
This week Casey's '70s visits September 1971!

http://www.oldies1033.com/pages/5137077.php?

Miss Ross surrenders, JB gets Hotpants, BS&T go down, Bobby Russell has a confused Saturday, The Partidges wake up in love, and the Honey Cone get stuck-up.

James Brown has 2 singles in the 40, in fact, and so does George Harrison, whose own "Bangla Desh" battles with ONJ's underrated cover of "If Not For You".

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:31:47 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »

No, it's supposed to rhyme with "push," but in the song they sing it as if it rhymes with "plush."

and you would think that with two of the three looking like Hasidic Jews they could get that right...  (that's a Simpsons reference... to an episode we prob won't see on the air again, the one where the family visits NYC.  Recall Homer parks his car in the World Trade Center plaza... I'd be surprised if that has aired since 9/11)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 02, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »
(that's a Simpsons reference... to an episode we prob won't see on the air again, the one where the family visits NYC.  Recall Homer parks his car in the World Trade Center plaza... I'd be surprised if that has aired since 9/11)

it has, actually!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 02, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
Miss Ross surrenders, JB gets Hotpants, BS&T go down, Bobby Russell has a confused Saturday, The Partidges wake up in love, and the Honey Cone get stuck-up.
James Brown has 2 singles in the 40, in fact, and so does George Harrison, whose own "Bangla Desh" battles with ONJ's underrated cover of "If Not For You".
The playlist including the three 'AT40 Extras':
"American Top 40" from September 11, 1971
#40 “SURRENDER” – Diana Ross
#39 “ K-JEE” – Nite-Liters
#38 “I LIKES TO DO IT” – People’s Choice
#37 “HOT PANTS PT. 1” – James Brown
#36 “GO DOWN GAMBLIN’” – Blood, Sweat & Tears
#35 “SWEET CITY WOMAN” – The Stampeders
#34 “WEDDING SONG (THERE IS LOVE)” – Paul Stookey
#33 “RAIN DANCE” – The Guess Who
#32 “SO FAR AWAY” – Carole King
#31 “SATURDAY MORNING CONFUSION” – Bobby Russell
#30 “MAKE IT FUNKY (PART 1)” – James Brown
#29 “IF NOT FOR YOU” – Olivia Newton-John
#28 “IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME” – Stevie Wonder
#27 “CHIRPY CHIRPY CHEEP CHEEP” – Mac & Katie Kissoon
AT40 EXTRA: "YO-YO" -The Osmonds
#26 “THE STORY IN YOUR EYES” – The Moody Blues
#25 “RIDERS ON THE STORM” – The Doors
#24 “TIRED OF BEING ALONE” – Al Green
#23 “BANGLA DESH” – George Harrison
#22 “SWEET HITCH-HIKER” – Creedence Clearwater Revival
#21 “MR. BIG STUFF” – Jean Knight
#20 “DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN” – Lee Michaels
#19 “BEGINNINGS” – Chicago
#18 “I WOKE UP THIS MORNING” – The Partridge Family
#17 “SUPERSTAR” – The Carpenters
#16 “WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN” – The Who
#15 “MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY)” – Marvin Gaye
#14 “STICK UP” – Honey Cone
#13 “LIAR” – Three Dog Knight
AT40 EXTRA: "ALL DAY MUSIC" - War
#12 “THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN” – Joan Baez
#11 “WATCHA SEE IS WATCHA GET” – The Dramatics
#10 “MAGGIE MAY” – Rod Stewart
#9 “SIGNS” – The Five Man Electrical Band
#8 “TAKE ME HOME, COUNTRY ROADS” – John Denver & Fat City
#7 “I JUST WANT TO CELEBRATE” – Rare Earth
#6 “HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?” – The Bee Gees
#5 “UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY” – Paul & Linda McCartney
#4 “AIN’T NO SUNSHINE” – Bill Withers
#3 “SMILING FACES SOMETIMES” – The Undisputed Truth
AT40 EXTRA: "ONE FINE MORNING" - Lighthouse
#2 “SPANISH HARLEM” – Aretha Franklin
#1 “GO AWAY LITTLE GIRL” – Donny Osmond

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 03, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
The playlist including the three 'AT40 Extras':
"American Top 40" from September 11, 1971

AT40 EXTRA: "YO-YO" -The Osmonds

AT40 EXTRA: "ALL DAY MUSIC" - War

AT40 EXTRA: "ONE FINE MORNING" - Lighthouse

Now THOSE are extras! Gaz will be thrilled to hear Lighthouse, I'm looking forward to the Osmonds covering Joe South (I didn't find out he'd written "Yo-Yo" until a couple years ago).

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
     KQLL FM out of Tulsa is having another AT 40 marathon mixing shows from the 70's and 80's starting tomorrow morning 8AM EDT 7AM CDT 6AM MDT 5AM PDT.  It will be running through Monday afternoon.     http://www.kooltulsa.com/pages/amtop40.html
The Hits From Coast To Coast

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 05, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »
     KQLL FM out of Tulsa is having another AT 40 marathon mixing shows from the 70's and 80's starting tomorrow morning 8AM EDT 7AM CDT 6AM MDT 5AM PDT.  It will be running through Monday afternoon.     http://www.kooltulsa.com/pages/amtop40.html

Argh!  This is one of those cc-common players that I can't listen to.  Something about it doesn't work on my Firefox or IE.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 05, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »

Argh!  This is one of those cc-common players that I can't listen to.  Something about it doesn't work on my Firefox or IE.

listening here and there to Tulsa's June 22, 1974 set (aired 9-noon PDT)  I missed most of it, but I know we've heard this recently:

#40 “RADAR LOVE” – Golden Earring
#39 “WATERLOO” – Abba
#38 “(I’VE BEEN) SEARCHIN’ SO LONG” – Chicago
#37 “I’M IN LOVE” – Aretha Franklin
#36 “DON’T YOU WORRY ‘BOUT A THING” – Stevie Wonder
#35 “I WON’T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU” – Carpenters  love it
#34 “ALREADY GONE” – The Eagles
#33 “SON OF SAGITTARIUS” – Eddie Kendricks   - at one point I thought he was singing "son of Secretariat"
#32 “THE SHOW MUST GO ON” – Three Dog Night
#31 “TRAIN OF THOUGHT” – Cher
#30 “OH VERY YOUNG” – Cat Stevens
#29 “THE LOCO-MOTION” – Grand Funk
#28 “IF YOU WANNA GET TO HEAVEN” – Ozark Mountain Daredevils
#27 “ANNIE’S SONG” – John Denver
#26 “SIDESHOW” – Blue Magic
#25 “RIKKI, DON’T LOSE THAT NUMBER” – Steely Dan
#24 “ROCK AND ROLL HEAVEN” – The Righteous Brothers
#23 “HELP ME” – Joni Mitchell
#22 “MY GIRL BILL” – Jim Stafford
#21 “THE AIR THAT I BREATHE” – Hollies   
#20 “I’M COMING HOME” – The Spinners
#19 “ONE HELL OF A WOMAN” – Mac Davis
#18 “SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME” – DeFranco Family f/Tony DeFranco  - they were from Toronto, wonder if Rush were fans of theirs (or vice versa)
#17 “ON AND ON” – Gladys Knight & The Pips -
#16 “YOU WON’T SEE ME” – Anne Murray - very nice
#15 “ROCK YOUR BABY” – George McCrae
#14 “HAVEN’T GOT TIME FOR THE PAIN” – Carly Simon
#13 “FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY” – The O’Jays

#12 “ROCK THE BOAT” – The Hues Corporation - Casey says this was a huge underground hit in NYC, selling 15K singles without any real airplay.  then radio stations picked it up and here it is

Casey then recites some of the lyrics to the next song, in a Bogart voice, which really should be heard:
#11 “MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS” – Maria Muldaur
.. then on the back announce he apologies to both Peter Falk and Humphrey Bogart,, haha!

#10 “THE ENTERTAINER” – Marvin Hamlisch
#9 “HOLLYWOOD SWINGING” – Kool & The Gang
#8 “DANCING MACHINE” – The Jackson 5 BOS
#7 “IF YOU LOVE ME (LET ME KNOW)” – Olivia Newton-John
#6 “BAND ON THE RUN” – Paul McCartney & Wings
#5 “BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GOT” – William DeVaughn
#4 “THE STREAK” – Ray Stevens  WOS!
#3 “SUNDOWN” – Gordon Lightfoot
#2 “YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW” – The Stylistics
#1 “BILLY, DON’T BE A HERO” – Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:27:13 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 05, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
Logged on to Magic 98 for their Saturday '70s thing, and they're doing a "Block Party Weekend", 3-song blocks that each have a diff theme -- "Brothers & Sisters" (Allmans/Pointers/Osmonds), or 3 from one year, or as we just heard, Beatle covers:

Stevie "We Can Work It Out"
Anne Murray "You Won't See Me"
EWF "GTGYIML"

and then Songs About Famous People:

"Jackie Wilson Said"
"King Tut"
"Harry Truman"

Nicely done, so far.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:39:29 PM by RGMike »