Author Topic: 4 February 2009 - classic from 1975  (Read 15524 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 4 February 2009 - classic from 1975
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
BOS Styx?
 ::)

2/4/09 - Midweek Wednesday!  The year...1975!!!
   1.  Dwight Twilley - I'm on Fire
   2.  Ian Hunter - Once Bitten Twice Shy
   3.  Earth, Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World
   4.  Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
   5.  David Bowie - Somebody Up There Likes Me
   6.  Barry White - What Am I Gonna Do With You
   7.  Joni Mitchell - In France They Kiss on Main Street
   8.  Styx - Light Up (BEST OF SET!!)
   9.  Queen - Good Company
 10.  Chaka Khan & Rufus - Once You Get Started
BONUS TRACK:  Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »
For 10 frink points: Anyone else know the name of Barry's dog (that Mike posted a pic of)?

Since no one jumped on this: his beagle was named Bagel.  (He used to thank him on the back of each of his albums.)

Of course! What else would a nice Jewish boy name his beagle? (There's gotta be a "lox and bagel" joke in there somewhere. I wonder if he maybe had a pet ox....?)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 09:46:15 AM »
For 10 frink points: Anyone else know the name of Barry's dog (that Mike posted a pic of)?

Since no one jumped on this: his beagle was named Bagel.  (He used to thank him on the back of each of his albums.)

Of course! What else would a nice Jewish boy name his beagle? (There's gotta be a "lox and bagel" joke in there somewhere. I wonder if he maybe had a pet ox....?)

No, but he convinced Joan Jett to record "I Love Lox and Rolls."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »

No, but he convinced Joan Jett to record "I Love Lox and Rolls."

also, didn't he cover the Beatles "Hey Jew?" 

I can make jokes like that b/c I'm an honorary Jew - I  lived in Brooklyn for 3.5 years. 
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
I  lived in Brooklyn for 3.5 years. 

Forgive me if I asked in person and have forgotten - but what part of Bklyn?  (I lived in South Park Slope, aka the land just above the Gowanus Canal, from April '07 through July '08.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 10:59:01 PM »
I  lived in Brooklyn for 3.5 years. 

Forgive me if I asked in person and have forgotten - but what part of Bklyn?  (I lived in South Park Slope, aka the land just above the Gowanus Canal, from April '07 through July '08.)

Flatbush near 7th Ave, then Atlantic near Washington in the late 80s
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »

TANC: Gaz, dunno if you saw this on the NYRMB, but there was a thread about what the current definition of "rock" is (someone questioned WRXP playing The Ting-Tings) and Carol Miller of Q-104, who has been a rock DJ in NYC since the '70s, mentioned that she was the first NY jock to play Barry Manilow -- on prog-rock WNEW-FM, when his first LP came out -- and that he called her at the time to say "thank you"!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »

TANC: Gaz, dunno if you saw this on the NYRMB, but there was a thread about what the current definition of "rock" is (someone questioned WRXP playing The Ting-Tings) and Carol Miller of Q-104, who has been a rock DJ in NYC since the '70s, mentioned that she was the first NY jock to play Barry Manilow -- on prog-rock WNEW-FM, when his first LP came out -- and that he called her at the time to say "thank you"!

No, I haven't read the NYRMB in ages - too fractious there.  But I'll see your TANC and raise you a TANC: I bought tickets for next month's Ting Tings show at Terminal 5 in midtown; they just arrived yesterday.  Yay!  (As with Nu Shooz in 1987, I have a crush on both of them.)