Stay
5 (100%)
Go
0 (0%)
Don't make me choose!  I'm not sure.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 09, 2005, 02:42:26 PM

Author Topic: Should we stay or should we go? A poll.  (Read 7655 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Should we stay or should we go? A poll.
« on: February 04, 2005, 02:42:26 PM »
We've been testing for a while now.  Seems to be going pretty well, but let's see where everyone is at now.  Should we stay with this new board (actually, not "here" precisely, because this is just loaned space at the moment (thanks Geoff)), or do we want to go back to disc-server?  Or are we still on the fence?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 03:38:40 PM »
is there any way to get a hold of the archives of the old site?  How much space would it require?  There's a wealth of obscuriana in there.  And it was easily searchable.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 03:59:03 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
is there any way to get a hold of the archives of the old site?  How much space would it require?  There's a wealth of obscuriana in there.  And it was easily searchable.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm getting to like this set-up (tho' I think it's still less spontaneous -- compare the number of "random" posts on the old site and the number in the "stream-of-consciousness" section here) but it's be a shame to lose all that info on discserver.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
but it's be a shame to lose all that info on discserver.

it's sho would be, miss millie.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
stay or go
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 04:25:50 PM »
well, if you guys like, we won't lose the posts we already have here, even if we move to a bigger space.  Right now, I don't really care about the use of space.  The database is only a meg and a half so far.  I believe the discserver people would give Rod an SQL export file (we seemed to discuss the same thing a year ago.)

I do like archiving things, but I rarely went back more than a page or two in discserver.  I'm not really qualified to deal with this SQL thing, so maybe one of you knows how to do it?

One of the things missing here are some quick links like we had at the top of the discserver page.  Those are easy enough to do, I just didn't feel like putting much customization energy into this place if y'all were not going to stick around.

Quite frankly, I have no desire to be the big Kahuna around here.  After one week at SFSU, I'm fried beyond belief already.  I just like the way we can nurture threads here, without the good ones being buried in the sands of time so fast.  Speaking of Sands of Time, great track of Fleetwood Mac's "Future Games."
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 04:30:20 PM »
I'm not sure about how to get the stuff from the old site.  I looked on the admin page and don't see any buttons that I can push to get what we want.  I'll probably have to talk to an actual person...

As far as SQL stuff, I can probably figure out what we need when we get to that point.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
SQL
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
As far as SQL stuff, I can probably figure out what we need when we get to that point.
the only thing we need is some intelligible way to present the old logs.  There might even be some way do it in phpBB, but I don't know.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 10:20:12 PM »
I get the feeling I'm the only one who'd rather go back to the old styley.

Even if I do look more fabulous in this one.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 08:49:23 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I get the feeling I'm the only one who'd rather go back to the old styley.

Even if I do look more fabulous in this one.

initially i didn't want to stay. but i like that i don't have to scroll through posts to see if something new has appeared. the color indicators are quite helpful. those and the quote feature seem to be the most efficient differences between this site and discserver.

and i can't say i mind looking at cztits.