Author Topic: 1969 on Wed 4/13/05  (Read 11744 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: uhh, because it was in New York?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 08:55:06 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
"Soul Sacrifice" reminds me of Woodstock -- I'd like to hear Grace's little rap about "morning maniac music" right about now.

OK, I've gotta ask: Those of you who were alive in '69 -- did you attend Woodstock, and why/why not?

My excuse was that I was 6 & we lived in Virginia.  We moved to Long Island the next year & I have often wondered if we'd already moved by early summer the year earlier, might we have made the trek....

That woulda been quite a trek with small children in tow!

"keep your kids away from the brown acid!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
"Soul Sacrifice" reminds me of Woodstock -- I'd like to hear Grace's little rap about "morning maniac music" right about now.

OK, I've gotta ask: Those of you who were alive in '69 -- did you attend Woodstock, and why/why not?

My excuse was that I was 6 & we lived in Virginia.  We moved to Long Island the next year & I have often wondered if we'd already moved by early summer the year earlier, might we have made the trek....

That woulda been quite a trek with small children in tow!

"keep your kids away from the brown acid!"

Living in Falls Church VA, literally a stone's throw across The Beltway, my folks aften took us to protest marches & gatherings on The Mall.  They apparently got a sitter for us when they took part in MLK's Poor People's March in '68, because they halfway expected to get arrested, but that was maybe the only significant one between '67-'70 that I missed.

But we went on lots of large group camping trips (3-4 annually) so Ithink Woodstock might have appealed to them.  As I undrestand it, it wasn't until too late that the size of the crowd became obvious, the expectations were for roughly a quarter of the actual number, and given those expectations I could totally see my folks going.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 09:21:40 AM »
I think Woodstock might have appealed to them.  As I undrestand it, it wasn't until too late that the size of the crowd became obvious, the expectations were for roughly a quarter of the actual number, and given those expectations I could totally see my folks going.
so, what color acid would  they have taken?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 10:19:56 AM »

My excuse is more or less the same: I was 9 and I lived in California. I remember hearing about it going on on the radio tho. And once the album was released, some songs were all over the radio (the fish cheer not among them).

The show I really regret missing was The Last Waltz. And I was in SF that night too, having Thanksgiving dinner at my dad's cousin's house out in the Richmond. Her kids (my second cousins) were all bumming too. But our folks were having none of it.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 11:35:50 AM »
Living in Falls Church VA, literally a stone's throw across The Beltway, my folks aften took us to protest marches & gatherings on The Mall.  They apparently got a sitter for us when they took part in MLK's Poor People's March in '68, because they halfway expected to get arrested, but that was maybe the only significant one between '67-'70 that I missed.

But we went on lots of large group camping trips (3-4 annually) so Ithink Woodstock might have appealed to them.  As I undrestand it, it wasn't until too late that the size of the crowd became obvious, the expectations were for roughly a quarter of the actual number, and given those expectations I could totally see my folks going.

Your folks are WAY cool, mshray.

And yes, the massiveness of the event was only apparent by Saturday.

"It's a free festival, man!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2005, 04:43:16 PM »
I think Woodstock might have appealed to them.  As I undrestand it, it wasn't until too late that the size of the crowd became obvious, the expectations were for roughly a quarter of the actual number, and given those expectations I could totally see my folks going.
so, what color acid would  they have taken?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well they might have drunk some wine or beer, but it was only after we emigrated to Long Island that they even graduated to Scotch.  Any other ingestibles were completely beyond them.

So my brothers & I made up for it, natch.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010