Author Topic: The Peak 02/09/06: 1975  (Read 2286 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Peak 02/09/06: 1975
« on: February 09, 2006, 07:18:21 AM »
BOS to S&G, "My Little Town," even though a couple of you think it's inching toward Katrina territory.  Still sums up sub-middle-class upbringings better than nearly anything else I've ever heard, and fits nicely with hearing "Allentown" earlier in the week.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:20:51 AM »
P.S.  For years I mondegreened the payoff line as, "Nothing but the dead of night back in my little town" (as in all of the colors being black).  Line works either way, and I just wish they dragged the bongos 'n' bass piano 'n' trumpets outro out even further.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:25:47 AM »
BOS2 to "Diamonds and Rust," maybe the second or third time I've ever heard this.  (Somehow I never think to seek out Joan Baez's work.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:33:47 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
BOS2 to "Diamonds and Rust," maybe the second or third time I've ever heard this.  (Somehow I never think to seek out Joan Baez's work.)

But you should.  

Sorry I missed D&R, it was a staple of the then-new "mellow rock" format in NYC in '75. That morphed over many years into "lite rock" but at the time it was a very hip, folkie singer/songwriter-oriented format.

looking at the setlist,

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND PART 1 - PINK FLOYD
MY LITTLE TOWN - SIMON & GARFUNKEL
SQUEEZE BOX - THE WHO
DIAMONDS AND RUST - JOAN BAEZ
WALK THIS WAY - AEROSMITH
LONG DISTANCE LOVE - LITTLE FEAT
MONDAY MORNING - FLEETWOOD MAC
DUCKS ON THE WALL - KINKS
LOW RIDER - WAR
I'M BLOWIN' AWAY - BONNIE RAITT

I don't think I've heard the Little Feat or Kinks tunes on the radio in ages. Kudos to Rob.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 07:48:12 AM »
I was only familiar with "I'm Blowin' Away" via Cher's 1996 cover.  Needless to say, Bonnie knocks her out.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:51:31 AM »
I was only familiar with "I'm Blowin' Away" via Cher's cover.  Needless to say, Bonnie knocks her out.

indeed, BOS.  The LP (Home Plate) is one of her high points -- even tho' it was meant as an attempt to Ronstadt-ize her, it ended up being a masterful collection.

ETA -- the set was followed by a commercial for the Starship concert in Jersey!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 07:57:11 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND PART 1 - PINK FLOYD
MY LITTLE TOWN - SIMON & GARFUNKEL
SQUEEZE BOX - THE WHO
DIAMONDS AND RUST - JOAN BAEZ
WALK THIS WAY - AEROSMITH
LONG DISTANCE LOVE - LITTLE FEAT
MONDAY MORNING - FLEETWOOD MAC
DUCKS ON THE WALL - KINKS
LOW RIDER - WAR
I'M BLOWIN' AWAY - BONNIE RAITT

I don't think I've heard the Little Feat or Kinks tunes on the radio in ages. Kudos to Rob.

I don't think I've heard either of those ever.  And you know I'm big on both bands.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:07:48 AM »
indeed, BOS.  The LP (Home Plate) is one of her high points -- even tho' it was meant as an attempt to Ronstadt-ize her

This is very surprising to hear: Was Linda even on people's radars before 1975 as anything but an Eagles backing vocalist?  That's an awfully quick turnaround time for influence to take hold.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 08:13:53 AM »
indeed, BOS.  The LP (Home Plate) is one of her high points -- even tho' it was meant as an attempt to Ronstadt-ize her

This is very surprising to hear: Was Linda even on people's radars before 1975 as anything but an Eagles backing vocalist?  That's an awfully quick turnaround time for influence to take hold.

well, yes, very much so. She'd been making solo records for several years at that point -- Heart Like A Wheel was her breakthru, but she had her cult followers, especially within the industry. Don't Cry Now, which features her cover of "Desperado", came out in '73 and was much-beloved despite not producing a hit single.  And HP uses an array of the usual Ronstadt suspects (the Halls, JD Souther, etc). Here's your pal Mr Xgau's review of HP:

"Produced with much tape trickery and laying on of experts by Paul Rothchild, this defeats its own gloss by refining and expanding the conventions of emotive, projective "sincerity" that have informed pop music from Al Jolson to Linda Ronstadt. By her thoughtful phrasing and gentle-to-gritty timbre, by her understated dramatic presence, by the songs she chooses to sing, Raitt makes her "compassion" seem unsentimental and even sharp-tongued without any loss of outreach. I love every cut, from John and Johanna Hall's "Good Enough," her most alluring analysis of a long-term sexual relationship yet, to John David Souther's "Run Like a Thief," which is about going to bed with your best friend's mate. A."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
Here's your pal Mr Xgau's review of HP

I'm grateful for the history lesson.  But I should note for the record that my experience working with Xgau on this year's Pazz & Jop has cemented my distaste for him as a person and can only hope you were joking when you referred to him as my "pal."  He's an incredibly knowledgeable and insightful writer but I do firmly believe him to be a complete asshole.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 08:32:06 AM »
Here's your pal Mr Xgau's review of HP

I'm grateful for the history lesson.  But I should note for the record that my experience working with Xgau on this year's Pazz & Jop has cemented my distaste for him as a person and can only hope you were joking when you referred to him as my "pal."  He's an incredibly knowledgeable and insightful writer but I do firmly believe him to be a complete asshole.

most definitely joking :wink: