Author Topic: The Drive, 2/7/06: 1977  (Read 3936 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 2/7/06: 1977
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »
Bet on Steve Miller making an appearance.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:07:36 AM »
AAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWOS to James Taylor, "Whenever I See Your Smiling Face," one of my least favorite songs of all time.  Can anyone here educate me as to what's appealing about this?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Drive, 2/7/06: 1977
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:09:06 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Bet on Steve Miller making an appearance.

You win a free trip to Swingtown!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:15:35 AM »
"Do Ya" sounding nice this a.m.  Dunno if it charted, but I'd love to hear Ace Frehley's remake of this in some future '80s set.  (Which reminds me: Has Dave ever played any KISS solo, such as New York Groove?  Has he played any KISS apart from "Rock & Roll All Nite" and "I Was Made for Lovin' You"?)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 08:21:29 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
AAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWOS to James Taylor, "Whenever I See Your Smiling Face," one of my least favorite songs of all time.  Can anyone here educate me as to what's appealing about this?

It's a catchy harmless little lite-rock ditty.  That pretty much meant automatic airplay in 1977, especially if you were a big name making your first LP for your new label with Linda Ronstadt's producer.  JT + Columbia + Peter Asher = gold.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 08:24:40 AM »
FLOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »
Looks like I missed "Couldn't Get It Right" again.  I missed it last time Dave played it, too.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:25:37 AM »
"Do Ya" sounding nice this a.m.  Dunno if it charted, but I'd love to hear Ace Frehley's remake of this in some future '80s set.  (Which reminds me: Has Dave ever played any KISS solo, such as New York Groove?  Has he played any KISS apart from "Rock & Roll All Nite" and "I Was Made for Lovin' You"?)

I think maybe he's played "Beth" and "Detroit Rock City" once or twice. But they're yet another emblematic-of-a-particular-decade artist that he underplays. God knows I'd LOVE to hear "NY Groove".  Of course I'd also love to hear the Move's original "Do ya". I didn't even know Frehley had covered it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »

I think maybe he's played "Beth" and "Detroit Rock City" once or twice. But they're yet another emblematic-of-a-particular-decade artist that he underplays. God knows I'd LOVE to hear "NY Groove".  Of course I'd also love to hear the Move's original "Do ya". I didn't even know Frehley had covered it.

Yesterday during KBCO's A-Z they played about 6 'New York songs', including Ryan Adams, but not the Ace.  I almost called Ginger to complain before realizing that it wasn't her shift.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:50 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
FLOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha-HA! charade you are!

I did the Friday nite overnite shift at my college station; this one got many a spin.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 08:29:22 AM »
so when they captured Son of Sam, they broke "the Chain", get it?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 08:36:47 AM »
"Do ya". I didn't even know Frehley had covered it.

I have it on cassingle.  If I can dig it up I'll bring it to SF with me.

Speaking of which: Any requests from anyone for music for me to bring with me?  I'm afraid I've never databased by collection but I've probably mentioned 80% of it at some time or another on this board.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »
Funny to realize that Foreigner had more of an influence on the Jefferson Whatever than the Beatles and Stones.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:41:21 AM »
"Do ya". I didn't even know Frehley had covered it.

I have it on cassingle.  If I can dig it up I'll bring it to SF with me.

Speaking of which: Any requests from anyone for music for me to bring with me?  I'm afraid I've never databased by collection but I've probably mentioned 80% of it at some time or another on this board.

I'm leaning towards taking that Friday off, BTW -- That's probably best for a trip to Mill Valley or wherever you wanna go.  Depending on your mood Saturday after the memorial, it'd be great to spend the later hours hanging out listening to JJ's Soul Jam on KPOO. I'm sure the princess would dig that.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »
Funny to realize that Foreigner had more of an influence on the Jefferson Whatever than the Beatles and Stones.

When I was 14 I loved this song, but now not so much.  Seems pretty schlocky to me now actually.

--Carlos Santana, 2010