Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/25/11  (Read 4906 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/25/11
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
Larry Grogan's show from 2 weeks ago, and he's playing the loooooong version (just under 11 minutes!) of the Harold Melvin/Teddy P "Don't Leave Me This Way". Sublime.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:36:08 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/25/11
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Larry Grogan's show from 2 weeks ago, and he's playing the loooooong version (just under 11 minutes!) of the Harold Melvin/Teddy P "Don't Leave Me This Way". Sublime.

that is one song that I learned from 10at10 --  Dave era, of course.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »

me too, actually -- dunno how it escaped my notice all those years, I know we had the orig LP at my college station.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

me too, actually -- dunno how it escaped my notice all those years, I know we had the orig LP at my college station.

That version of the song is just sooo good. It's a masterpiece -- heavy rotation, please!

I only hope the current incarnation of 10at10 can turn me on to similarly AWESOME songs.  I suppose that means I'll be catching up to the 90s music eventually.  Yeah, I'm usually about 15-20 years behind the times.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »

That version of the song is just sooo good. It's a masterpiece -- heavy rotation, please!

I only hope the current incarnation of 10at10 can turn me on to similarly AWESOME songs.  I suppose that means I'll be catching up to the 90s music eventually.  Yeah, I'm usually about 15-20 years behind the times.

sadly I don't think '90s soul will be much in the mix.   :'(

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
Listening to Marshall Crenshaw's show from last week and it's a salute to Mosrite Guitars...

http://www.mosriteguitars.com/

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
Listening to Marshall Crenshaw's show from last week and it's a salute to Mosrite Guitars...

I got curious about his podcast so I found the archive page (http://wfuv.streamguys.us/cgi-bin/colinker.cgi?colink=130825094932285) and am listening to the July 16th show, the one that started off w four Roy Orbison songs (in mono).  He just played the Fleet Foxes -- I have to check out more of their stuff.  Their song sounded really good.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »

I got curious about his podcast so I found the archive page (http://wfuv.streamguys.us/cgi-bin/colinker.cgi?colink=130825094932285) and am listening to the July 16th show, the one that started off w four Roy Orbison songs (in mono).  He just played the Fleet Foxes -- I have to check out more of their stuff.  Their song sounded really good.

I've become quite a fan of his show -- it's Little Steven without the shtick (not that there's anything wrong with LS's shtick).

meanwhile, 2NG's retro-chart is from July 1962 today. Wow, a vocal version of Acker Bilk's "Stranger on the Shore" by Andy Williams. Gonna be some weird-ass shit here today.

oo! Richard Chamberlain's "Theme From Dr Kildare" -- swoon!

Wacky Sedaky, "Breaking Out of the Closet is Hard to Do". OMFG: "Palisades Park"!

NTM: the UK version of "Cindy's Birthday" by Shane Fenton and the Fen-Tones (love that name!).

OMGWTFLOL: Pet Clark's "Ya Ya Twist", which is Lee Dorsey's "Sittin in La la..."  -- en Francais!  zut alors!

Even more WTF: someone named Bernard Cribbins (the actor?) doing a song called ... "Right Said Fred". And it's not too sexy for anything.

awww... the Top 2 singles were Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" and Frank Ifield's "I Remember You".  I was 7 years old.

ETA: post-countdown, we're getting a fairly long loooong version of "Tubular bells". Nice.

wow, they just played the '80s remake of Traffic's "Hole in My Shoe" by "Neil", the character from the Young Ones Britcom. Clever and hilarious.  And here's EJ's lovely "Song For Guy" -- a *huge* UK hit that did nothing over here.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:51:40 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »

TANC, sorta?   
just scored DVD of "Teddy Pendergrass Live in '82" concert film for real cheap. (Swag sale here at work.)

Doesn't contain Don't Leave Me This Way, but the price was right.  It's put out by Shout Factory:  http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257384
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
OMGWTFLOL: JJ on KPOO just played a soul cover of "Bennie & the Jets" by a group called Master Plan.  NTM and I kinda like it better than Elton's.