Author Topic: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general  (Read 68732 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
I noticed KFOG's using rdio instead of Mixcloud (or SoundCloud) now...

Okay, so I bit, because I wanted Monday's set...

Apparently the 10@10 shows are no longer available to be streamed.  No intro, no backsell,
no sounders, no clips.  I had no problem using a bogus e-mail address to start, but it led to
a rdio playlist of just the songs.  And while Monday's set used the live version of Jefferson
Airplane's Volunteers from the Woodstock soundtrack (including Grace's "morning maniac
music" line), the one on the playlist was from the studio album.

Bah.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
I noticed KFOG's using rdio instead of Mixcloud (or SoundCloud) now...

Okay, so I bit, because I wanted Monday's set...

Apparently the 10@10 shows are no longer available to be streamed.  No intro, no backsell,
no sounders, no clips.  I had no problem using a bogus e-mail address to start, but it led to
a rdio playlist of just the songs.  And while Monday's set used the live version of Jefferson
Airplane's Volunteers from the Woodstock soundtrack (including Grace's "morning maniac
music" line), the one on the playlist was from the studio album.

Bah.

Actually, that's the one set from this week that has been uploaded to Mixcloud:

https://www.mixcloud.com/KFOGRadio/08-03-2015-1010-kfog-local-music-month-of-mondays-vol-1/

Enjoy!

ETA: If you want to download said set (it's in .m4a format, IIRC), you can use:

http://www.download-mixcloud.com/
Tuned to a natural E

MGBMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »
So I may be slow but just to be clear, the 10@10 shows are no longer being stored on Mixcloud?   But they are streamed live on the KFOG website?  Any recommendations for my ability to record and listen later would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
So I may be slow but just to be clear, the 10@10 shows are no longer being stored on Mixcloud?   But they are streamed live on the KFOG website?  Any recommendations for my ability to record and listen later would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I think what's being streamed from the KFOG site are Rdio playlists consisting of the 10 songs from that day's set, but there's none of the other content that goes with it -- no clips, no intro, no backsell. And nothing new has been posted since last Friday.

Nothing new has been posted to Mixcloud since the first Local Artists set on Aug 3.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
I suspect we really are getting all-'90s this week, so that the Saturday marathon matches the rest of the "Nuthin' But Nineties" weekend. If so, it'll be the first all-one-decade week since Dave was forced to go all-'80s on that fateful month 15 years ago.

Will Rosalie have to do an all-'90s Acoustic Sunrise?

ETA: Renee said we're getting another '90s year today. I have a sneaking suspicion that next week, we'll discover that '70s sets are gone forever.  It'll be 2 '90s, 2 '80s and an '00s set each week and '04 and '05 will make their debuts in short order. Just my random prediction.

I can always count on you to look on the bright side of things!   ;D

I don't think that '70s sets will be eliminated, but they will continue with only occasional appearances, just as '60s
sets did.  For some perspective, older readers should consider what they would think if they were listening to a radio
station during the '70s that played lots of depression-era music from the 1930s.  The one big difference being that
"rock & roll" in its present form (depending on where you put your yardstick) has been dominant form of popular music
for fifty to sixty years.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
I know there are reasons and all, but KFOG really needs to come up with a contingency plan for when AL is out for extended periods of time.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
I suspect we really are getting all-'90s this week, so that the Saturday marathon matches the rest of the "Nuthin' But Nineties" weekend. If so, it'll be the first all-one-decade week since Dave was forced to go all-'80s on that fateful month 15 years ago.

ETA: Renee said we're getting another '90s year today. I have a sneaking suspicion that next week, we'll discover that '70s sets are gone forever.  It'll be 2 '90s, 2 '80s and an '00s set each week and '04 and '05 will make their debuts in short order. Just my random prediction.

I don't think that '70s sets will be eliminated, but they will continue with only occasional appearances, just as '60s
sets did.  For some perspective, older readers should consider what they would think if they were listening to a radio
station during the '70s that played lots of depression-era music from the 1930s.  The one big difference being that
"rock & roll" in its present form (depending on where you put your yardstick) has been dominant form of popular music
FM Rock radio essentially started in '67
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

FM Rock radio essentially started in '67

I'm happy to say dischead's optimism has been rewarded, as we began this week with a swell '76 rerun and ended with '68.  In-between: '85, '01 and '80 -- not a '90s set to be heard.  Whether this was an aberration or the beginning of more variety remains to be seen. Hard to tell who or what the KFOG audience is these days -- when I listen to the younger end of the demo playing Mind the Gap and hear how clueless they are  about fairly obvious stuff (nobody's asking them to name a Chocolate Watchband LP; but not recognizing Bowie's voice on "Heroes"? That seems sad to me -- what was playing in the homes they grew up in?).

Interestingly, today was National One Hit Wonder Day -- woulda been an excuse for AL to do one of those theme sets that cover 4 or 5 decades, but she went with '68.  Time will tell...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Happened to get up around 6:50 to take a leak and flipped on the bathroom radio -- they were 4 songs into 1976, which means it was either the first set (and started really late) or the second (and started really early).

later, they did the "mystery" 1980 set at 9am and (unsurprisingly) 2001 at 10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
Fully expected '90s today and we got '87 -- close, yeah, but no cigar.  It has been 12 days since we had a '90s set (tho' there was a 2001 in the mix). Is it possible that the "nuthin' but nineties" weekend and surrounding emphasis on that decade engendered some audience push-back? or worse, that the ratings weren't as stellar as hoped? Funny that they crave a younger demo but need a certain amount of older folks to pad the overall numbers. Plus: without "geezers" there's no Mind the Gap.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
Fully expected '90s today and we got '87 -- close, yeah, but no cigar.  It has been 12 days since we had a '90s set (tho' there was a 2001 in the mix). Is it possible that the "nuthin' but nineties" weekend and surrounding emphasis on that decade engendered some audience push-back? or worse, that the ratings weren't as stellar as hoped? Funny that they crave a younger demo but need a certain amount of older folks to pad the overall numbers. Plus: without "geezers" there's no Mind the Gap.

Not sure if this still holds true, but when they were still posting the sets on soundcloud for on-demand replay, you could see the number of plays for each set. And the older the set, the more spins it would get, or so it seemed. If that extrapolates to actual listener demographic, we may be closer to being "typical" fogheads than they would care to admit.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
Why is it that the best set of the week, if not the month (1970), is the one that gets
played at 6 a.m. during the Saturday morning marathon?  Sigh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
Why is it that the best set of the week, if not the month (1970), is the one that gets
played at 6 a.m. during the Saturday morning marathon?  Sigh.

This seems to be the rule for the '70s set of the week. I understand it -- less listeners at that hour -- but it's still annoying.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »
I can't be the only one who's this irritated about the frequency of classics, right?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
I can't be the only one who's this irritated about the frequency of classics, right?

My assumption is that it has to do with some sort of personal matters going on in Annalisa's life, so while the "classics" aren't ideal, it's hard to be irritated about that. It can't be helped.
Let's get right to it.