Author Topic: 1996 -- first visit! -- on Thurs 9/8/05  (Read 17684 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1996 -- first visit! -- on Thurs 9/8/05
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2005, 07:51:24 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"
Can't wait til '97, the last great year for modern pop-rock, hits the wheel.

you & me both, bub!  I predict Dave will play Hanson's "MMMMBop" and Chumbawumba when we visit '97. And I'll hope for Cornershop, "Brimful of Asha".

and also:

Cardigans, "Lovefool"
Ben Folds Five, "Brick"
Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Impression That I Get"
Reel Big Fish, "Sell Out"
Green Day, "Time of Your Life" (that one's a lock, I'd wager)
Blur, "Song 2" (aka the "WOO HOO!" song)
Steve Earle, "Telephone Road"
Squirrel Nut Zippers, "Hell"
Big Blue Hearts, "Nobody Wants Her"

Would MUCH rather get "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" from Ben Folds Five.  But yeah, you've nailed most of the big targets; I'd only add White Town's "Your Woman," Portishead's "Nobody Loves Me" (whatever the real title is), U2's "Discotheque," and Space's "Female of the Species."

Oh, and Cake's "The Distance," though I never liked that one.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2005, 08:00:01 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Would MUCH rather get "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" from Ben Folds Five.  But yeah, you've nailed most of the big targets; I'd only add White Town's "Your Woman," Portishead's "Nobody Loves Me" (whatever the real title is), U2's "Discotheque," and Space's "Female of the Species."

You are absolutely right about the Ben Folds -- it got heavy Live 105 play for a brief period, and was my introduction to BFF. I love that song.  KFOG never picked up on it, but they did play "Brick" later in the year.  "Battle of..." seems to have been completely forgotten; it didn't even make Live 105's year-end Top 105 list.

And oh yes, "Female of the Species", which only missed being on my best-of tape because I couldn't find a copy in time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Anonymous

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2005, 10:21:50 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

You are absolutely right about the Ben Folds -- it got heavy Live 105 play for a brief period, and was my introduction to BFF. I love that song.  KFOG never picked up on it, but they did play "Brick" later in the year.  "Battle of..." seems to have been completely forgotten; it didn't even make Live 105's year-end Top 105 list.

And oh yes, "Female of the Species", which only missed being on my best-of tape because I couldn't find a copy in time.

Also add in Sneaker Pimps' "6 Underground" and No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" or "Don't Speak," while I'm in that time-warp.  Damn, what a year.

"This should cheer you up for sure / Y'see, I found your old ID: You're all dressed up like the Cure."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Also add in Sneaker Pimps' "6 Underground" and No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" or "Don't Speak," while I'm in that time-warp.  Damn, what a year.

"This should cheer you up for sure / Y'see, I found your old ID: You're all dressed up like the Cure."

"spiderwebs" and "don't speak" were from different albums, weren't they? the other no doubt hit from '96 was "i'm just a girl," or something like that...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

"spiderwebs" and "don't speak" were from different albums, weren't they? the other no doubt hit from '96 was "i'm just a girl," or something like that...

nope all from the same CD -- that was a massive year for Ms Gwen & the boys. Before she decided she was part black. Holla!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2005, 11:02:17 AM »

nope all from the same CD -- that was a massive year for Ms Gwen & the boys. Before she decided she was part black. Holla!

damn! i really thought there was a year or two between those hits. shows what i know. i *do* remember "don't speak" as the song that never. went. away. guess i ain't no hollaback girl. or is it hollaback, girl?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2005, 11:13:39 AM »
guess i ain't no hollaback girl. or is it hollaback, girl?

I'm waiting for Weird Al to use that song for a Star Trek parody.

"I'll be on the holoDECK, girl!"