Author Topic: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet  (Read 44800 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Police: Man arrested after throwing cat at wife during dispute

... and, yes, they actually do live in a trailer park.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
TV Exec accused of beheading wife:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/17/national/a090113S37.DTL&tsp=1

He "sought to improve the image of Muslims in the media" -- and of course nothing says "Muslims are regular, everyday peace-loving guys" like beheading your wife. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:29:51 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
Do any of you know anything further about this rumor posted at Gawker.com?

Reports are filtering in that Air America host Randi Rhodes was severely beaten Monday night while walking her dog on 39th and Park. "Rhodes was beaten up pretty badly, losing several teeth and will probably be off the air for at least the rest of the week," writes Talking Radio. Air America, when reached for comment on the listener call-in line, said, "We don't want to feed the inaccurate rumor mill. Also, we don't know." Though the attacks haven't been reported elsewhere, Rhodes' website does mention that she isn't feeling well and has gone as far as creating a little church sign to that effect. Sam Seder is filling in for her. Murky!

Randi's been off the air, and her network, Nova M, seems to have gone under.  The owner, Sheldon Drobny has been hospitalized due to a breakdown (or worse).
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
"If you wanna read 'bout the bishop and the actress..." you may have to do it someplace other than the Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/24/MNO2164F73.DTL&type=business&tsp=1

(and yes, KFOG played JJ's "Sunday Papers" after discussing this story.)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
"If you wanna read 'bout the bishop and the actress..." you may have to do it someplace other than the Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/24/MNO2164F73.DTL&type=business&tsp=1

really, what will Peter do if he can't pull all his stories out of the morning paper?

sadly, none of my students read the newspaper, not even the comics!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »

really, what will Peter do if he can't pull all his stories out of the morning paper?

It's incomprehensible that they'd seriously consider shuttering the Chron, but hemorrhaging $50M per year is a whole lot of argument to the contrary. Still, there has to be some value there to a potential buyer, if it comes to that.

Btw, I saw a copy of the "remade" Chron for the first time recently--I barely recognized it. I feel like Gertrude Stein talking about Oakland--there's no 'there' there anymore. And if the Chron goes away, there really won't be.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

It's incomprehensible that they'd seriously consider shuttering the Chron, but hemorrhaging $50M per year is a whole lot of argument to the contrary. Still, there has to be some value there to a potential buyer, if it comes to that.

Btw, I saw a copy of the "remade" Chron for the first time recently--I barely recognized it. I feel like Gertrude Stein talking about Oakland--there's no 'there' there anymore. And if the Chron goes away, there really won't be.

Just curious about your thoughts on the Chron redesign: is your negative reaction to the graphic presentation?  or is the "no there there" comment about changes in news coverage? 

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
Gaz would especially enjoy this exhibit, methinks: "Jews on Vinyl" at SF's Contemporary Jewish Museum...

http://www.thecjm.org/index.php?option=com_ccevents&scope=exbt&task=detail&oid=40

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »

Just curious about your thoughts on the Chron redesign: is your negative reaction to the graphic presentation?  or is the "no there there" comment about changes in news coverage? 

Took me awhile to quantify my reaction, but here goes: I think initially I was just reacting to the different look--the use of a serif typeface in the heds where I'd been used to seeing sans serif all those years, although I guess they started phasing that in a couple years ago. (I breathed an audible sigh of relief when I opened to the Movie Guide page to find that it still looked like it always has--at least one thing hadn't changed.) 

However, in reading thru the actual content, it seems  like they're giving much more cursory coverage of the subjects they are covering--it's got a much more USA Today feel to it than it once did. Seems as though they're trying to fit as much as possible into a smaller space. And I suspect there are more stories not being covered at all.

However, if it means the paper can weather this storm of recession and emerge alive on the other side, I am willing to make that sacrifice. I am an old-school newspaper reader from way back (i.e. I started reading the Chron before I was 10), and am afraid soon I won't have any other choices for a hard-copy newspaper other than the NYTimes, WSJ, LATimes, and the aforementioned USA Today (and I use the term newspaper loosely in its case).
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »
Took me awhile to quantify my reaction, but here goes: I think initially I was just reacting to the different look--the use of a serif typeface in the heds where I'd been used to seeing sans serif all those years, although I guess they started phasing that in a couple years ago. (I breathed an audible sigh of relief when I opened to the Movie Guide page to find that it still looked like it always has--at least one thing hadn't changed.) 

However, in reading thru the actual content, it seems  like they're giving much more cursory coverage of the subjects they are covering--it's got a much more USA Today feel to it than it once did. Seems as though they're trying to fit as much as possible into a smaller space. And I suspect there are more stories not being covered at all.

However, if it means the paper can weather this storm of recession and emerge alive on the other side, I am willing to make that sacrifice. I am an old-school newspaper reader from way back (i.e. I started reading the Chron before I was 10), and am afraid soon I won't have any other choices for a hard-copy newspaper other than the NYTimes, WSJ, LATimes, and the aforementioned USA Today (and I use the term newspaper loosely in its case).

that recent graphic makeover happened just a couple weeks ago, and most people who wrote in said they didn't like it.  But people don't like change typically, so this wasn't a surprise.  Also, people are more likely to complain than give compliments.  (People really enjoy being able to say "you suck even more now" thanks to the anonymity provided by the interwebs.)

but thanks for the comments. I'll acknowledge that it does have a more "USA Today" look in some ways and in bits and pieces.   
The capsule reads -- short single paragraph items --  sort of remind folks of that paper, but the Chron has featured various section digests for a long time -- it's just that now those digest items are broken out with a graphic treatment.

As the paper loses more journalists and editors, new coverage will suffer, so it's not a stretch to say that some things are not being covered  -- there's just not enough resources to do so.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The skeleton at the end of the road
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »
Not sure what to make of this.  Out in the middle of semi-nowhere (outside of Pescadero) I found this in front of a house at a turn in the road:

I know I put this on Facebook, but I wanted to share here too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
Definitely not cool:  I realize Terrance Hallinan was good friends with the Mitchell Bros, but he's saying the killing that Jim Mitchell's son is accused of was not, in his opinion, premeditated. The guy brought a baseball bat to the house of an ex-girlfriend -- a woman who had a restraining order against him -- and killed her. WTF, Terry?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/15/BAU318P940.DTL&tsp=1

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
Definitely not cool:  I realize Terrance Hallinan was good friends with the Mitchell Bros, but he's saying the killing that Jim Mitchell's son is accused of was not, in his opinion, premeditated. The guy brought a baseball bat to the house of an ex-girlfriend -- a woman who had a restraining order against him -- and killed her. WTF, Terry?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/15/BAU318P940.DTL&tsp=1

Unbelievable.  Beyond despicable.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”