Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414369 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3645 on: February 19, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
This week, That '70s Casey features Feb 22nd 1975:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-22-75.pdf

another delightful chart: Sweet Sensation! Polly Brown! Al Martino! Ringo and Macca B-sides!

And Casey's '80s is from Feb 23rd 1980:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-23-80.pdf
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:28:13 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #3646 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
According to the folks at the AT40 Fun and Games site, stations that carry American Top 40 the 70s will now have the option of playing the 4 hour shows when those shows are played.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: February 24, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »
According to the folks at the AT40 Fun and Games site, stations that carry American Top 40 the 70s will now have the option of playing the 4 hour shows when those shows are played.

YAY!  that will make '79 sets more interesting by a mile.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
This week, That '70s Casey features Feb 22nd 1975:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/02-22-75.pdf

another delightful chart: Sweet Sensation! Polly Brown! Al Martino! Ringo and Macca B-sides!

and indeed the chart begins with those 2 ex-Beatle Bs: BOS Ringo's "Snookeroo" which I've always liked. Can't say the same for Paul's "Sally G" -- an odd country-ish novelty, and the flip of the great "Junior's Farm".

De Carpenters delivvah de lettah de soonah de bettah.  VHM the Manhattans' overlooked "Don't Take Your Love From Me". Surprised this hasn't turned up on WDAS.

Casey plays "Mandy" and a snippet of its precursor, "Brandy" -- not the Scott English UK hit but an Aussie named Bunny Walters.

I'd forgotten that Sylvia Robinson wrote Shirley's "Shame Shame Shame".  BOS2 the J-5's fab "I Am Love", even tho' it's a truncated version. Casey notes it was their 16th single in a row to hit the Top 40 -- the next one, a cover of "Forever Came Today", would break that streak.

Nice Wacky Sedacky montage!  VHM "Laughter in the Rain"; ditto David Gates' "Never Let Her Go"

uber-BOS3 (as always) "Sad Sweet Dreamer". proxy of Gaz. oo-wah-wah-oo-wah-wah-oo!

VHM Minnie (note the "Maya-Maya-Maya" scatting at the end); WOS Disc-O-Texx. My chiffon is wet, moldy and disintegrating. (I just blew Jose F's mind on FB with the factoid that Disc-O-Texx was Puerto Rican)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:53:24 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
Hour 2:  Elivis covers Richard Harris/Jimmy Webb.  BOS4 Al Martino's delightful slice of disco-pop cheeze. VHM BadCo, headin' for the Golden Gate.

Nice "whatever happened to Tommy James" update. BOS5 Polly Brown, more wonderful early-disco-pop. VHM Phoebe S.

Doctor's orders are: boogie on, reggae woman!  BOS6 Carol Douglas -- see Polly Brown above.

BT Express and BT Overdrive in the same hour. Labelle gitcha gitcha ya-ya. and Ms Muldaur brings home the bacon.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:46:43 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Hour 3: Styx serenade their "Lady". BOS7 John Denver's overlooked "Sweet Surrender"

Ohio Playaz set us off to a full alarm, child.

BOS8 TO & Dawn's "Look in My Eyes Pretty Woman", a very underrated pop single. VHM Ms King's "Nightingale"

Abawakawa poussay poussay.

VHM Ms Ronstadt; and we hit the Kenny Nolan trifecta: "My Eyes Adored You" the THIRD hit co-wriiten by him on this chart ("Get Dancin'" & "Lady Marmalade", thanks for asking)

Yes, Livvy -- I forgot more than you'll ever know about being mellow.

uber-LN: "Black Water". WOS2 Grand Funk and another thuddingly hamfisted white-boy cover of an R&B tune.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:37:25 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
1980, Hour 1: Bonnie Pointer's *other* remake of a '60s Motown hit -- she can't help herself!  VHMFRA.  And Babs gets kissed and gets wet -- not necessarily in that order.

TJ is a 3-timer; MJ is off da wall, y'all.

BOS1 Prince -- his first and a small preview of what was to come. And here's Nicollette Larson's *other* hit.

Dionne W covers Isaac Hayes' "Deja Vu", followed by Mr Chocolate Salty Balls himself with his underrated disco hit "Don't Let Go". Aw shucks!

Proxy of Gaz to this hour's "extra" -- "Pilot of the Airwaves"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:56:02 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 26, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Hour 2: VHM Ray Goodman & Brown. "Plop-plop went the reasons..." -- er, WTF? Being in love is like taking Alka-Seltzer??

VHM Mr Mangione's Olympics theme; ditto Toto's ode to Barbara Feldon.

double-doses of Petty *and* Rupert Holmes this hour -- BOS2 "Him".  The Commode Doors' "Wonderland" has truly not been heard on the radio since 1980.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:44:29 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 26, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »
Hour 3: BOS3 Barry M, VHM Zep in the rain and BOS4 Ms Ronstadt with one of her rare non-remakes.

Kool & the Gang are too hot; Neil D feels a September chill.  VHM Shalimar.

WOS "This is It" -- like "Coward of the County", people thought it was about America and the Iran hostage crisis, even tho' both songs were written prior-to.

Pink Floyd s**t a "Brick"; voila! a BOS5 from the NGDB feat Ms Ronstadt.

More classy remakes: BOSes 6 & 7 the Spinners and Anne Murray.  I was dating my first real boyfriend at the time so this chart is fairly sledgehammery.

I'm gettin' outta here before I have to hear "Coward of the County" a 2nd time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:57:02 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 28, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
This week That '70s Casey is from March 4th 1972:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-04-72.pdf

and Casey's '80s visits March 2nd 1985:

http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/030285.html

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: March 03, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
'72 Hour 1: the Dramatics forget their umbrellas. Yes gets there in a roundabout way.

VHM Donny's sweet "Puppy Love", which I actually think is better than Paul Anka's histrionic original.

BOS1 the fantabulous Detroit Emeralds, "You Want It, You Got It"

BOS2 the first of 2 Melanie hits this hour: "Nickle Song"

WOS Grand Funk, stompin' they feets. With a Face(s) like that Rod's got nuthin' to laugh about.

BOS3 Melanie 2: "Ring the Living Bell"

BOS4 the Wicked Pickett, covering (and improving) "Fire & Water" -- a song orig done by Free on their 1970 LP that featured "All Right Now".

VHM the mighty Addrissis, gettin' it awn again. proxy of Gaz.  Wait -- they wrote Pet Clark's "My Love"??  I'm gobsmacked.

BOS5 JB, Talkin' Loud.  BOS6 the English Congregation's "Softly Whispering I Love You", an old Dave Morey favorite.

Hey Hey momma: Percy's gon' make you sweat, gon' make you groove! VHM.   Damn that was a fabulous first hour.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:46:23 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: March 03, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
Hour 2: Lookatchoo foolin' you!  BOS7 Sly.  I'll have to bail soon to run errands but I'll catch the remainder tonite.

LN: "Day After Day".  But BOS8 The Ice Man and his eager companion.

BOS9 Carly's ketchup commercial.

One last BOS before I exit: BJT's gorgeous "RnR Lullabye".

eeek: back just in time to WOS2 Robert John.  And speaking of remakes, Casey said "Nickel Song" was one -- I didn't realize the New Seekers charted with it first (tho' they only got to #81).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:47:48 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: March 03, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
This week Casey's '80s visits March 2nd 1985:

Any set with "Sugar Walls" is worth a listen!   ;)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: March 03, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »

VHM the mighty Addrissis, gettin' it awn again. proxy of Gaz.  Wait -- they wrote Pet Clark's "My Love"??  I'm gobsmacked.

As Gaz noted on FB, they didn't write that one; but they *did* write the Association's "NEVER My Love" so I'm thinking Casey's producer made a typo. What did they do without the internet??

I'm listening again to '72, watching the increasingly hapless Sharks with the sound down. 

And the hour I missed this morning does not disappoint:Chakachas, the Supes' fab "Floy Joy", the BeeGees' lovely "My World" and Beverly Bremers' "Don't Say You Don't Remember" -- BOS11 and the best Lesley Gore imitation until Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know" a dozen years later.

Mr Simon orders from the Chinese menu. VHM Apollo 100.  I never need hear "American Pie" again. But uber-BOS12 Cher's fantabulous "Way of Love"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:05:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
This week Casey's '80s visits March 2nd 1985:

Any set with "Sugar Walls" is worth a listen!   ;)

I wonder how much time the Purple One spent inside Sheena's, er, walls.