Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414289 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3450 on: November 05, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »
1977 was the year I saw my first films (I was 5) - all featured in this countdown and all the theatres are gone, sadly:  "Star Wars" (at the Coronet), "Saturday Night Fever"(at The Regency) and "The Spy Who Loved Me" (at The Alhambra).

you saw "Sat Nite Fever" when you were 5? That explains a LOT.

She's a cow, she's a cow, she's a cow now! why would Lionel Richie name his band after a bathroom entrance -- the Commode doors?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:29:53 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: November 05, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
Sledgehammery set for me.  I have vivid memories of "Daybreak," "Star Wars," the Sgt. Pepper movie and "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" from the time, among others.  The latter song was a particular favorite of my father's; he would play it all the time at bar jukeboxes while getting sloshed (he often took me along).  I'm amazed I don't hate the song.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
1977 was the year I saw my first films (I was 5) - all featured in this countdown and all the theatres are gone, sadly:  "Star Wars" (at the Coronet), "Saturday Night Fever"(at The Regency) and "The Spy Who Loved Me" (at The Alhambra).

:D  Wow, I've got, like, two months' worth of conversations to catch up on in this thread.  Sorry I've been out of touch here and in other threads; those few sets I've been able to catch, I've been too occupied with other stuff to post about.  It's been a weird coupla months in the new place.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: November 05, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Just before Hour 1, CKRU plays Ms Ronstadt's "It's So Easy"... which Casey will play in less than an hour. ::)

But instant BOS1 the Carpenters covering Klaatu.  Oh to have made "world contact" with Karen...

A couple forgotten VHMs: ED&JFC, "Gone Too Far" and Leo Sayer, "Thunder in My Heart"

Mr Buffett is drinking rum and eating chum. Or Something. OMG: its the rare censored version that changes "son-of-a-bitches" to "bruises and stitches" (!)

I rolled my eyes at the "It's So Easy" rep too.

But I have to WOS that Leo Sayer, which was NTM.  His Merrill-esque shouting was way too much for me. Is this the song that was remixed and revived on the British charts a few years ago?

As an aside, Sayer is one of those very few artists who have multiple songs in both my all-time favorite ("When I Need You," "More Than I Can Say") and all-time least-favorite ("Long Tall Glasses," "You Make Me Feel Like Screeching") lists.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: November 05, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

:D  Wow, I've got, like, two months' worth of conversations to catch up on in this thread.  Sorry I've been out of touch here and in other threads; those few sets I've been able to catch, I've been too occupied with other stuff to post about.  It's been a weird coupla months in the new place.

we've missed ya, bub.  I wanna know where exactly in B'klyn you are -- I saw the directions to your recent party on FB but that sounded more like Williamsburg than Bushwick. Please don't start wearing fedoras.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: November 05, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
Frampton with the Whitest. Motown. Cover. EVAH!

Not in a world where James Taylor's "How Sweet It Is" exists, but your point is well taken.

Loved the "It's So Weezy" gag.  Cute.

And BOS to "Daybreak," the sassy live version far surpassing the studio 45.  "Sang, gurls!" "Fabulous!"
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:38:47 PM by Gazoo »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: November 05, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »

And BOS to "Daybreak," the sassy live version far surpassing the studio 45.  "Sang, gurls!" "Fabulous!"

Somebody yell "one more time!"

BOS9 the first of Shaun Cassidy's 2 fine Eric Carmen covers.

speaking ill of the dead: WOS "Sweet Home Ala-bummer"

Love is (extra) thicker than Andy Gibb's, er, you know.

BOS10 Carly; WOS2 Debbie.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:54:30 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: November 05, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
we've missed ya, bub.  I wanna know where exactly in B'klyn you are -- I saw the directions to your recent party on FB but that sounded more like Williamsburg than Bushwick. Please don't start wearing fedoras.

Thanks!  Depending on whom you ask, I'm in either East Williamsburg or Bushwick.  I answer to both.  I'm near the Morgan stop on the L train, in an (in)famous former warehouse converted into living space called the McKibbin Lofts.  It has a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/248_McKibbin

We're in a 4-bedroom two-story place on the ground floor and basement.  A lot of cool aspects - outdoor patio, 20-ft.-high living room ceiling, labyrnthine layout to the bedrooms, spiral staircase - but living with three kids in their mid-20s has its highs and lows, and the place required a LOT of work.  (Including epoxying the basement floor after flooding ruined my rugs.)  I'm in the process this afternoon of Photoshopping pictures down to size so I can post to FB the before-and-afters.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
speaking ill of the dead: WOS "Sweet Home Ala-bummer"

I didn't realize the Skynyrd crash was so soon after Elvis's death.

And now that I think about it, I don't have a specific memory of hearing about Elvis dying, even though my mom was a big fan and I certainly saw his Hawaii special on TV.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »

Hour 3 begins with BOS7: Rita Coolidge's lovely Boz Scaggs cover. Easily my favorite of hers.

A major BOS from me too.  She de-Fozzied it!

Wakka Wakka!  ;D

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »

Hour 3 begins with BOS7: Rita Coolidge's lovely Boz Scaggs cover. Easily my favorite of hers.

A major BOS from me too.  She de-Fozzied it!

Wakka Wakka!  ;D

hope you've seen the Muppets cover story in EW this week -- I'm *sooooo* psyched for the new movie, I really hope it's good.

And I know the "L" train very well, it was our only way to get to Manhattan, pretty much (until I grew up and learned to drive). Some of the best mosaic tile-work in the entire system, esp Montrose Ave station.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:05:28 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

A major BOS from me too.  She de-Fozzied it!

Wakka Wakka!  ;D
Gaazoooo!  Hiya!  Wakka, wakka backatcha!   :)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »

and Casey's '80s is from Nov 5th 1983

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-05-83.pdf

Aww man, I can't believe I have to go to some kid's b-day party and miss this (AND the Niners game...grrr!)  I love '83.  Talk about variety in the Top 10!  Confession:  I bought the "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" 45s when I was in 7th grade.  I know, I know...that 'splains a lot!  :D

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: November 06, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »

and Casey's '80s is from Nov 5th 1983

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-05-83.pdf

Aww man, I can't believe I have to go to some kid's b-day party and miss this (AND the Niners game...grrr!)  I love '83.  Talk about variety in the Top 10!  Confession:  I bought the "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" 45s when I was in 7th grade.  I know, I know...that 'splains a lot!  :D

I'm prepared to do lot of proxy-of-sg votes. But that first hour is rather painful-looking. Loverboy/Journey/Stray Cats/ Men at Work...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:47:06 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: November 06, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
Hour 1: VHM Manhattan Transfer's "Spice of Life", another Rod Temperton compo that sounds like something written for MJ.

BOS1 and proxies of sg & Gaz: JoBoxers, gettin' lucky.

The Stray Cats blow their Daddy-o. Or something.

VHM Irene Cara, trying gamely to be Pat Benatar.

BOS2 Human League's great, forgotten "Mirror Man".

WOS1 Loverboy.

wow, Dred coulda played Michael Sembello's "Automatic Man" in his "counting" set the other nite. 2-3-4-5-6-7-8...

MAW do the ol' heckle 'n' jive.

VHM Dionne & Loofah.

Jackson Browne, you're no F Scott Fitzgerald.  WOS2 Journey.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:49:31 AM by RGMike »