Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414517 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3315 on: August 14, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
eeek: this Canuck extra by Trooper, "Boys in the Bright White Sports Cars" is horrendous. For one thing, it sounds like "Man on the Silver Mountain"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:20:27 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 14, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
Ah, so Casey pronounces Qatar "Ka-TAR."  At TIME we've been taught that it's pronounced "Kotter."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 14, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
Ah, so Casey pronounces Qatar "Ka-TAR."  At TIME we've been taught that it's pronounced "Kotter."

It is, but in '82 we weren't so enlightened.

Hour 3: the Money Man leads off; VHM the Pointers' forgotten "American Music"; BOS4 Karla Bonoff.

Marc Almond covered "Tainted Love" due to his love of taint.

VHM Ms Summer, aimin' to pull the trigger.

BOS5 sweet Melissa, channelling the Cars in the underrated "You Should Hear How She Talks Aboutchoo". VHM Macca, takin' it away.

wow, nothing in Hour 4 that I care to say anything about.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:53:03 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 14, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Dear Melissa Manchester: You should mind your own damn business.   :P
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 14, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
Dear Melissa Manchester: You should mind your own damn business.   :P

can't you see? it's SHE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
Belinda wants a coke binge Vacation.  Best Go-Go's song, in my book - BOS.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
This week That '70s Casey is from Aug 18th 1979:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-18-79.pdf

(yeah another show that starts with #33... perhaps my least-favorite happening on these AT40s -- worse yet #33 happens to be "Cruel to be Kind")

And Casey's '80s is from Aug 20th 1983:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-20-83.pdf
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:34:03 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
(yeah another show that starts with #33... perhaps my least-favorite happening on these AT40s -- worse yet #33 happens to be "Cruel to be Kind")

ah, but #32! BOS1 "Born to Be Alive". Almost makes up for having to hear Cheap Trick And Robert Palmer in quick succession.

Blackfoot's "Highway Song" is as Skynyrd-y as it gets. BOS2 GQ's very nice remake of Billy Stewart's "I Do Love You". Debbie H gives us the slip. Pass the rat food.

VHM SpyroGyra.  BOS3 Bonnie Pointer's fab reboot of "Heaven Musta Sent You". And OMGWTF Flashback of Set: Night's "Hot Summer Night" -- talk about a forgotten hit.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:43:12 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 20, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
Hour 2: Is she really going out with that Lonesome Loser? Goodbye, stranger!

John "daydream believer" Stewart strikes gold. So many folks thought this was Harry Chapin when it first came out.

VHM the late Mr Rabbitt; BOS4 Barry M & Dionne W, perfect together. Mr Naughton is shakin' it, bakin' it, fakin' it and "Makin' It". He's a Pepper, all right.

VHM Maxine Nightingale with the song that made her a Two-Hit Wonder.

WOS Robert John; BOS5 disco KISS

BOS6 Elton goes to Philly again.

When I'm listening to a Ray Sawyer vocal... it's flaccid. Casey sez EWF's "After the Love..." is "a sure #1". Oops.

Extra! Extra! VHM disco Babs. Like buttah!

OMFG! Best "extra" of the month: Maureen McGovern, "Different Worlds (Theme from Angie)" Swoon!  And at #1: clams on the half-a-shell!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:56:39 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 21, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
August '83 in da hizzouse.  EJ wants to kiss the bride; I won't tell you what he wants to do to the groom.

aaack: Madness with one of the 'trinas di tutti 'trina.  BOS1 Jeffrey Osborne making his 3rd '80s appearance in as many weeks -- what were the odds?

Rita Coolidge arrives with "All Time High", her Bond theme, but I still wish they'd had the balls to actually write a song called "Octopussy". And have Shirley Bassey sing it.

And speaking of unspeakable movie songs: WOS Frank Stallone. But delighted and unexpected BOS2 Joan Jett, "Fake Friends".

"hey baby... I don't feel like hearin' the Stray Cats NO MORE!"  "Me NEITHER!"

I don't think I've heard America's "The Border" since '83. WOS2 Air Supply; BOS3 Shalamar's underappreciated "Dead Giveaway". Still have the 12" of that one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:00:00 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: August 21, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Hour 2 starts with BOS4: Miss Bonnie Tyler, "eclipse"-ing all of Jim Steinman's other gun-for-hire creations of the period.

Always nice to hear Naked Eyes' *other* hit. VHM. Ditto the late Ms Branigan, doing a finer, and far more subtle, reading of "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" than Michael Bolton ever did.

Rich Springfield's "Human Touch" is one of his better forgotten 45s. VHM.

eeek: WOS3 Journey and WOS4 Asia.

BOS5 BJ, tellin' 'er aboot it. Nobody at this point in '83 realized just how huge the Innocent Man LP would become.

"Gunter gleiben glauchen globen" -- no wonder people thought Def Leppard were Krauts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:50:13 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
OY! ve gonna schlep down to Electric Avenue.  ELO's "RnR is King" may be their least-played hit.

We can dance. We can dance. Everybody look at your hands.

Sorry, I've said it multiple times, but to my ears Sergio Mendes' "Never Gonna Let You Go" is the worst kind of adult-contempo dreck. WOS5. The female singer, Lisa something-or-other, has a very annoying voice IMHO; the guy is Mr Generic. At least Quincy Jones had James Ingram. Not one of Mann & Weill's shining moments, lyric-wise.

VHM MJ. Why? Why??

shameless soundalike follow-up of the week: Quarterflash, "Take Me to (Harden My) Heart".  Aug '83 is quite a sledgehammery period for me; I hated the movie Flashdance as much as I love the song. VHM Irene Cara.

Oh Bowie, just you shut your mouse.  WOS6 Loverboy.

BOS6 Culture Club; WOS-in-perpetuity Taco, def one of my Top Ten Worst Records EVAH.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:57:44 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #3327 on: August 21, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
August '83 in da hizzouse.  EJ wants to kiss the bride; I won't tell you what he wants to do to the groom.

aaack: Madness with one of the 'trinas di tutti 'trina.  BOS1 Jeffrey Osborne making his 3rd '80s appearance in as many weeks -- what were the odds?

Rita Coolidge arrives with "All Time High", her Bond theme, but I still wish they'd had the balls to actually write a song called "Octopussy". And have Shirley Bassey sing it.

And speaking of unspeakable movie songs: WOS Frank Stallone. But delighted and unexpected BOS2 Joan Jett, "Fake Friends".

"hey baby... I don't feel like hearin' the Stray Cats NO MORE!"  "Me NEITHER!"

I don't think I've heard America's "The Border" since '83. WOS2 Air Supply; BOS3 Shalamar's underappreciated "Dead Giveaway". Still have the 12" of that one.

Other than Air Supply and Journey, I tend to disagree you. It seems like everything you like, I don't like (You love 70s, I hate it) and everything I like, you don't (I love early 80s, you don't seem to). I think something is wrong when I agree with you. Not saying I complete an opposite of what you wrote for today's show but I don't mind Madness, Taco or Frank Stallone. In fact, I like Madness and Stray Cats.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:37:58 PM by SFGuy »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 21, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »

OMFG: I posted a similar comment on the AT40 geek board... and their censorship software turned "Octopussy" into  -- I shit you not -- "Octogirl thingy".  Good thing Casey never had to play the Pussycat Dolls.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 22, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »
Other than Air Supply and Journey, I tend to disagree you. It seems like everything you like, I don't like (You love 70s, I hate it) and everything I like, you don't (I love early 80s, you don't seem to). I think something is wrong when I agree with you. Not saying I complete an opposite of what you wrote for today's show but I don't mind Madness, Taco or Frank Stallone. In fact, I like Madness and Stray Cats.

actually, alot of my comments are attempts at snark/humor and don't necessarily mean I dislike a song (unless I specifically give it a WOS). I don't hate Madness' "Our House", for example but it is easily one of the most overexposed hits of that period.

Meanwhile next week...

That '70s Casey is from August 26th 1978:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-26-78.pdf

(this is allegedly the show with the first-ever Long Distance Dedication)

And Casey's '80s visits August 30th 1980:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-30-80.pdf
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:26:00 PM by RGMike »