Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414238 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3045 on: May 07, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »
Sitting at JFK and logged onto CKRU in time for Gilbert O's "Out of the Question". A fabulous chart from my favorite year.

I said this last year, but as much as I hated "Daisy a Day" in '73, I now find it rather sweet.

Ain't no woman like the One-Eyed Gott! and Sweet Lou gets Caseys "Most unusual" award. Heh.

Do you happen to know what 80's year is playing tomorrow?  I'll be working and listening...
Welcome back (almost!)

apparently it's 1985.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: May 08, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
Early VHM Eurythmics, "Would I Lie"; early WOS Survivor, doing a horrifyingly dead-on Cetera/Chicago imitation on "The Search is Over". In between, Phunky Phil was in his stu-stu-studio.

uber-BOS1 Alison Moyet's spectacular take on Lamont Dozier's "Inivisible".

VHM Limahl, who still says he and Paul Gambaccini were "just friends". Right.

awwwww... a sweet VHM to New Edition's forgotten "Lost in Love"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:25:43 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Alison Moyet shows Amy Winehouse and Adele how it's done with "Invisible".  BOS  

Haven't heard Neverending Story in ages.  It hasn't aged well.

WOS Chicago's Along Comes A Woman.  This sounds like a combo of She's A Beauty and Sussudio.  That's not a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:32:11 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: May 08, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
Alison Moyet shows Amy Winehouse and Adele how it's done with "Invisible".  BOS  

Haven't heard Neverending Story in ages.  It hasn't aged well.

Ditto on "Invisible"; the movie of "NES" has aged even worse than the song.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: May 08, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »

awwwww... a sweet VHM to New Edition's forgotten "Lost in Love"

I loved Mr. Telephone Man!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: May 08, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
WOS 2 & 3: Chicago followed by Glenn Frey. Nice hearing Ms Reddy's "You & Me Against the World" as an LDD on Mother's Day.

VHM Madge's "Angel".

"look -- check it out!" BOS2 Loofa's "Til My Baby Comes Home" -- I'm determined to get AL to play something by him one of these days.

Hour 2 looks underwhelming ( http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-11-85.pdf ), so I'm gonna try and catch Hour 1 of the '73 chart which is really a sledgehammery treat for me.   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:52:13 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: May 08, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Never cared for Angel by Madonna.  Much preferred the b-side, "Into The Groove".  Desperately Seeking Susan is in the top 5 favorite movies for me.

VHM Luther Vandross.  I once sold him a brooch at Neiman's when he was in his skinny phase.  Nice man.

WOS2 Phil Collins.  No more nights, thanks.

BOS2 Bryan Adams "Heaven".  (Bite your tongues!  ;) )

OMG here's the OG Katrina.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:31:04 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
The '73 chart begins with Johnny Rivers' forgettable "Blue Suede Shoes" cover -- I surely haven't heard this since that year, understandably.  BOS1 Ms Murray's lovely version of "Danny's Song"; BOS2 New Birth (or "Noo Birf" as JJ would pronounce it) with Bobby W's "I Can Understand It".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:14:13 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: May 08, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
BOS1 Ms Murray's lovely version of "Danny's Song"

This song is everywhere these days for some reason.  I've heard it a bunch of times on KFOG and Walgreen's. 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: May 08, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
This fine first hour continues with a forgotten Lobo hit that sounds a tad too much like several other forgotten Lobo hits, followed by BOS3 for the fab "Leaving Me" by the Independents, a VHM for First Choice and BOS4 to NYC, appropriately.

And yes, I'll VHM "Playgound in My Mind", a HFH for many that I still think is just adorable.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
BOS3 Just A Gigolo.  Bop, titty bop!

BOS4 The Mary Jane Girls, "In My House".  I'm Rick James, bitch!

BOS5 Patti LaBelle and her cray-cray 'do with a New Attitude.

WOS3 Foreigner's That Was Yesterday, which was abysmal.  How did this reach so high on the charts?

But wait!  There's still good stuff here in 1985, RG!

BOS6 Everybody Wants To Rule The World, BOS7 like a butterfly, oh wild butterfly - Animotion's Obsession

BOS8 Everything Thing He She Wants - Wham!  (Which was my first concert ever in '85 at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center in Oakland.  Should've been Duran Duran the year before at the Coliseum but mama said nope.)

Speaking of D2, here's Power Station with Some Like It Hot.  The first time I heard of Robert Palmer was with this song. BOS9

Yes!  BOS10 Murray Head gets his kicks above his waistline, sunshine with One Night In Bangkok.  Does anyone remember the version by Robey?

I'm giving DeBarge a VHM with Rhythm Of The Night.  Not my favorite song of theirs, but I love them anyway.  I think I just wanted to be named Bunny.  Bunny Lim!  Catchy, no?  Which reminds me of the best drag name:  Flotilla DeBarge.   :)

VHM Don't You Forget About Me, only because I hear it on KFOG a few times a week.  Speaking of John Hughes and movies that haven't aged well - I just rewatched Some Kind Of Wonderful.  Kinda painful.  Good soundtrack, though.

BOS11 We Are The World for the hot mess it is. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:51:40 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
I'm Rick James, bitch!

be careful with apostrophes when you type that phrase, babe.

'73-wise, Neil D's live "Cherry Cherry" is the definition of an unnecessary remake, despite one of the greatest album covers EVAH

BOS(J-)5 "Hallelujah Day", their ode to the end of the Vietnam War and one of their most underappreciated 45s.

More Loggins-ing: "Thinking of You".

The critical rehab of Macca began with Red Rose Speedway. VHM "My Love". BOS6 Carly's forgotten "Right Thing To Do" -- gawd I loved that LP. BOS7 Johnny Nash's "Steeer it Up". Yodel-ay-hee-VHM Focus; BOS8 Gladys' "Neither One of Us". VHM Granny and the Ohio Playaz, "Funky Worm".

Will be heading out shortly, but VHM Skylark's "Wildflower", which New Birth, who we heard earlier, would cover for an R&B hit in '74. And BOS9 Ms Reddy's lovely version of Kenny Rankin's "Peaceful" -- I'm still amazed by the Georgie Fame version, a UK Top 20 hit in '69 that I was unaware of until a couple years ago.   

OK, I stuck around long enuf to BOS10 Vicki Lawrence. Cher shoulda never turned this one down.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:45:45 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
Agreements with and applause to all the above commentary - I listened to both of these sets in waves over the weekend but did not have a chance to post, and you two took the words right outta my mouth.  The Independents' "Leaving Me" was a particular highlight from that widespread '73 set.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: May 08, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
Murray Head gets his kicks above his waistline, sunshine with One Night In Bangkok.  Does anyone remember the version by Robey?

OMG -- Yes!!  Hadn't thought of it in 25 years. But have you ever heard Otis Liggitt's version of "Every Breath You Take"?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: May 09, 2011, 06:46:46 AM »
Murray Head gets his kicks above his waistline, sunshine with One Night In Bangkok.  Does anyone remember the version by Robey?

OMG -- Yes!!  Hadn't thought of it in 25 years. But have you ever heard Otis Liggitt's version of "Every Breath You Take"?

Just gave it a listen via YouTube for the first time.  Sounds like a cross between Swing Out Sister and Stevie Wonder!