Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414445 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2895 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Hour 2: F-Mac is "Everywhere"; Billy Ocean is outta mah dreams and into mah car. A woman I worked with at ABC went to the Calgary Olympics that year and had a torrid affair with one of the drivers; this was "their song".

VHM "Rocket 2 U" by the Jets, easily my favorite Tongan-American group of all time. Proxy of Gaz: Cover Girls followed by the Bangles' "Hazy Shade".

AAAAAAACK! WOS2 Michael Bolton's "Dock of the Bay", one for the "Least Necessary Covers EVAH" Hall of Shame.

Def Leppard say it's a meer-ee-cul they're not his-teer-ee-cul. Or something.  BOS3 Salt-N-Pepa -- pick up on THIS!

Thanks to tantric sex, Sting really *can* make his beating heart be still!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:42:58 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
VHM "Rocket 2 U" by the Jets, easily my favorite Tongan-American group of all time. Proxy of Gaz: Cover Girls followed by the Bangles' "Hazy Shade".

AAAAAAACK! WOS2 Michael Bolton's "Dock of the Bay", one for the "Least Necessary Covers EVAH" Hall of Shame.

You said it, re: Bolton.  That song summarizes why he's so hated by so many.  BOS to Bangles and the Swing Out Sister, which was NTM.  I don't remember that Cover Girls tune either, but they went on to do better.  VHM Sting's beating heart.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
"Ah, oui! INXS!"  Casey's French accent rivals Sonny Bono's.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Hour 3: VHM Keith Sweat. Surely that can't be his real name?

uber-BOS4 Gladys/Pips fabulous "Love Overboard", their last Top 40 hit. That's what's great about being a Mormon: if one of your wives goes overboard, you still have, like, 5 left!

Make dat change: BOS5 MJ, "Man in da Miwwa". Sha-MAWN!

BOS6 the late great Roger Troutman, whose "I Wanna Be Your Man" was, amazingly, his only Top 40 appearance as a solo artist or with Zapp. (Being "feat" on a Tupac record doesn't count.) I'd forgotten this got as high as #3.

WOS3 Richard Marx -- "yacht rock" that isn't even worthy of a rowboat.

wow -- Casey plays a snippet of the Laura Branigan take on "I Found Someone".  BOS7 Cher's version, her big '80s comeback-starter -- written by the aforementioned-and-dissed Michael Bolton.

V/H/M M/A/R/R/S -- what a terriffic and diverse chart this turned out to be. And has DLR's "Living in Paradise" ever shown up on a 10@10 anywhere? VHMFRA.

Nothing really earth-shattering in the final hour; before I exit I'll BOS 8 & 9 Rick Astley and PSBs/Dusty and WOS4 Mr Swayze's "She's Like Passing Wind"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:01:04 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
Put the needle on the record! Put the needle on the record! Put the needle on the record! When the drums beat, go like THIS!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
This weekend That '70s Casey hits March 6th 1976:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-06-76.pdf

and Casey's '80s are from March 7th 1981

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-07-81.pdf

BTW, our geeky friends at the AT40 message board have started a new thread where you can post your "highs" amd "lows" for each show (BOS and WOS, essentially).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:52:15 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 05, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
Dude, sweet! Instant BOS "Action"; VHM Ms King's forgotten "Only Love Is Real"

Are the Bellamys flattered or horrified at being ripped off by Britney?  BOS2 Waylon & Willie!

Oh what Aretha could've done with Ms Cole's "Inseparable".  uber-BOS3 the fabulous Trammps with their classic "Hold Back the Night". Lawd!

I totally do not remember BTO's "Take it Like Man". Oh wait, this "get back where they want me" part is ringing a bell. Totally recycled from 3 of their other rockers.

Taint: no big thing. Love is the drug in my squeeze box.

VHM the Commode Doors; ditto Sweet Melissa's neglected "Just You and I"

BOS4 the delightful early-disco stylings of "Tangerine" -- talk about knowing your target audience of (then-)thirtysomething gay men.

And here's Sweet Melissa's ol' buddy Barry M, "I Sing the Songs Clive Davis Says to Sing"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:49:50 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Up'N'Comers: Johhnie Taylor shoves it in and pulls it out, debuting at #26; Queen inch up to #25, rhapsodically.

The Osmonds have been inescapable the past few weeks.  D&M croon "Deep Purple" with a sigh-ee-igh-ee-igh-ee.

WOS Cledus Maggard's "White Knight", a CB song that's as unlistenable as "Convoy" is absorbing; I never need to hear "Dream On" ever again.

VHM Wacky Sedaky, balladizing his "Breaking Up is Hard To do", tho' the Lenny Welch version from '70 is worth seeking out.  VHM Bowie, wop-wop-wop.

BOS5 "Love, Be Tender With My Fanny". Obviously Ms Summer's fanny is gettin' a workout or she wouldn't be moaning like that. Proxy of GazWOS "Baby Face"; see my prev comment re: "Tangerine".

BOS6 the still-clever "Junk Food Junkie"; WTF a seriously truncated version of "Wake Up Everybody".

Memo to Toni Tennille: calling a guy "little man" is never a good idea. Jus' sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:25:15 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2903 on: March 06, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
New station to listen to the 80's show at 7PM ET/4PM PT on Sundays: http://www.star929.com/

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 07, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »
New station to listen to the 80's show at 7PM ET/4PM PT on Sundays: http://www.star929.com/

Cool! I always like having a backup-to-my-backup!

This week's '70s show is another '79 excursion that starts with Hour 2 of a 4-hour original:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-10-79.pdf

and the '80s version is from 1987:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-14-87.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 12, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
Not much posting today, probably, esp since the most interesting songs (like Giorgio Moroder's "Chase") were in the unplayed Hour 1 of this 4-hour show. at #33: Eddie Money with strings.

Barry M plays music too magic to end on his nice-but-unnecessary Helen Reddy cover.  OMFG: Leif Garrett was made for dancin'!

BOS1 Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer", one of the out-of-left-field-iest of all out-of-left-field hits. BOS2 Al Stewart's "Song on the Radio" which deserved better than a #29 peak (despite rhyming "Paloma" with "misnomer").

OMG! BOS3 my fave underplayed Foreigner, "Blue Morning Blue Day". WOS Chicago checkin' in at the "No Tell" Motel.  VHM Gonzalez, "Haven't Stopped Dancin' Yet", a fine disco OHW of the period. And another VHM and proxy of Gaz as Suzi Q and Chris N stumble in.  Meanwhile Neil D is forever in mommy jeans.  And So is Anne Murray, probably -- grandmommy jeans, even.  BOS4 "I Just Fall in Love Again"

Always a VHM for Bobby Caldwell; ditto Sweet Melissa's "Don't Cry Out Loud" -- bet Barry M still wishes he'd got hold of this one. And Cheryl Lynn GOTS to be real!

BOS5 Nicolette Larson.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:48:07 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »
It seems like every other week we hear a show where Casey starts off by saying "I was off last week, and I wanna thank ________ for sitting in for me"

Instant BOS one of my fave Madonna 45s, "Open Your Heart", on its way down. And if anybody knows about going down, it's Ms. Ciccone.

BOSFRA to Duran2 with the rather Prince-like "Skin Trade"

C'est la Vie, indeed: Robbie NeVil appears with one of his forgotten follow-ups, "Dominoes". And nearly as forgotten: Kool & the Gang's "Stone Love" and Stacey Q's shameless "Two of Hearts" clone, "We Connect". VHM the line "the way you shoot me with your white hot love" -- LOL! 

OMFG: BOS3 Hipsway, "The Honeythief", and BOS4 the Bangles criminally underrated "Walking Down Your Street".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:38:59 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 13, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Hour 2 begins with VHMs for Samantha Fox, who wants to be touched, and Shirley Murdock, who's doing more than touching in "As We Lay". WOS Lionel Ritchie, at the end of his creative rope with "Ballerina Girl"; ditto REO with "That Ain't Love".

Big Stars! Forgotten Hits!  Yet another BOS(5) for yet another song nobody plays anymore: Tina T's "Whatcha Get is Whatcha See".

uber-BOS6 Ree-Ree and George's fantabulous Marvin 'n' Tammi imitation. George, obviously, is Tammi.

Damn, even Wang Chung's "Let's Go" sounds good this morning.  And "Don't Dream It's Over" notwithstanding, this is quite a diverse chart that makes you wonder how 1987 got to be the most-dreaded year on the 10@10 wheel during the Morey era.

WOS3 Chicago; WOS4 Journey

Mah hunnah mah baybuh: VHM G-Sats. BOS7 Dead or Alive and their "Brand New Lover"

AAAAACK! (and TANC)  Diane Warren attack!  WOS5 "Nothin's Gonna Stop us Now"

Final BOS(8 ) to the Jets' creamy-dreamy Rupert Holmes cover, "You Got it All"; final WOS(6) Bruce Willis' execrable Staples cover.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:07:23 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
This week, That '70s casey does 1975 for the 3rd time this year (and it's only mid-March!)

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-15-75.pdf

and Casey's '80s is from March 1982

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-20-82.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
and Casey's '80s is from March 1982

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-20-82.pdf

Looking over this chart, it may be one of the worst '80s shows we've ever heard.  First hour is deadly -- there's a reason why #s 40, 39, 38, 37, 35 and 32 are forgotten hits. And things don't improve much later with some of the most unnecessary cover versions ever. Top 40 radio was in the full grip of adult-contempo-itis. Yeesh.