Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414357 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2685 on: November 08, 2010, 08:57:53 AM »
this week that '70s show goes to Nov 12th 1977:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-12-77.pdf

and Casey's '80s is from Nov 12, 1983:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-12-83.pdf

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 13, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
Steve Miller swings; Frampton does the whitest Motown cover EVAH.

VHM Leo Sayer's completely forgotten "Thunder in My Heart" -- oh, what one of the disco divas of the time could've done with this one.

Always a BOS for Dolly, with the fab Mann/Weill hommage to Petula Clark.

Happy World Contact Day! uber-BOS2 the Carpenters' Klaatuu cover, one of the great "WTF?" singles of all time.  BOS3 LTD with one of the great R&B singles of the late '70s.

HM ED&JFC, goin' too far.

Paul Davis goes crazy; Paul Simon sells snow tires. And Casey misidentifies Simon's LP of the moment as Blatant Greatest Hits, its originally intended title; it was changed shortly before release to Greatest Hits Etc.

another Seals heard from: S&C must have their fair share, dammit!  VHM Eric Carmen's delightful Beach Boys tribute, featuring real BBs on backing vox.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:48:55 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 13, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »
Somebody yell "one more time!" -- and Barry M will go all the way!  Er, I'm not spending the nite at HIS house.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 13, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »
BOD to "Daybreak," my first 45.  VHMs to the Dolly and Davis tracks, which I never tire of.  WOS to Leo Sayer's misguided disco, and DHM to the unnecessary retread of "Dazz," "Dusic."

No idea what the Carpenters' crew were thinking issuing that as a single.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
Gotta bail before Ms Boone croons "YLUML" at #1. But a fine morning spent with Mr Kasem.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 14, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »
Some fun moments in this '83 set.  Co-BOS to JoBoxers, feelin' jake on "Just Got Lucky," and the Human League, with Phil Oakey as statuary as ever on "Mirror Man."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
BOS3 to Culture Club and an uncredited Helen Terry, the magnificent "Church of the Poison Mind."

I'd forgotten that "Love Is a Stranger" was as big a hit as it was.  It eluded my attention at the time.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 14, 2010, 10:08:53 AM »
Manhattan Transfer's "Spice of Life" sounds like a Rod Temperton compo that both MJ and George Benson turned down.

ETA: Temperton did indeed write it.

WOS ONJ's worthless "Twist of Fate"; WO2 Asia; WOS3 Loverboy -- a trifecta of '80s awfulness.

But ditto all of Gaz's BOSes so far, esp "Mirror Man", a seriously underappreciated/underplayed entry in the Human League catalog.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:37:29 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 14, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Irene Cara's "Why Me?" sounds like quite the Donna Summer reject, circa "the Wan-duh-wuh".

Luther V sez Aretha saved his life -- oh girlfriend, puh-LEEZE! Save the drama fo' yo' mama!

VHM "Love is a Stranger" -- that summer I was in London, and "Who's That Girl" was the follow-up to "Sweet Dreams" in the UK, so I thought "LIAS" an odd choice as a single here, even tho' I like the song.

VHM "PYT"; and if you don't agree that H&O's "Say it Isn't So" deserves a BOS -- that bites it even more!

"I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
and narrate Peter & the Wolf..."

HM Bowie.

I know THIS much is true: Spandau Ballet's fabulous ballad deserved to get higher than #4. BOS5

Until Sheena Easton got her sexy makeover with "Strut" and "Sugar Walls", she seemed to be doing ONJ's rejects, like "Telefone"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:52:50 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2694 on: November 14, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
BOS3 to Culture Club and an uncredited Helen Terry, the magnificent "Church of the Poison Mind."

If people didn't know, a lot of the Culture Club songs were about Boy George's relationship with Jon Moss.

SFGuy

« Reply #2695 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
LOL to the guy who voiced over the AT40 extras who called the Romantics a "British" group.

SFGuy

« Reply #2696 on: November 15, 2010, 02:32:25 AM »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
Casey's 80s: November 20, 1982

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-20-82.pdf

FYI, for those who listen to the Canadian (CKRU) feed on Sundays --- it'll be pre-empted by hockey the next 2 weeks, eh?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »
Casey's 80s: November 20, 1982

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/11-20-82.pdf

FYI, for those who listen to the Canadian (CKRU) feed on Sundays --- it'll be pre-empted by hockey the next 2 weeks, eh?

thanks, I occasionally catch that one. 

There's something reassuring about Canadian stations bumping AMERICAN Top 40 for the Sport of Canada.  I would expect nothing less. 

Mom, bro and I traveled to Montreal a few years back and were pleased to watch some "Hockey Night On Canada" TV broadcast.  I think it's when the Canadian teams all play each other: Leafs, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Sanators and Les Habitants.

I've noticed the NBC has co-opted it, calling their Sunday night pre-game show "Football Night In America"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Night_in_America
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

If people didn't know, a lot of the Culture Club songs were about Boy George's relationship with Jon Moss.

I've seen and read some great stories about their drama.  It's a shame that as the relationship ended, so did George's creative capacity.  I know he's a respected DJ, but I've been disappointed by almost all of his solo work.