Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414419 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2235 on: May 16, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
ex-Doobie Patrick Simmons' "So Wrong" is aptly titled. File under "Early '80s Michael McDonald Knockoffs"

WOS1 Kenny Loggins' dreadful "Welcome to Heartlight". Was this from a sndtk? I barely remember it.

The Simmons was NTM; I thought it was kinda interesting.  The Orral-Carter duet gets one of my BOS votes - I'd never heard OF it much less heard it.  Wow.  Also BOS to Sergio Mendes (imperfect production but great melody), Elton John doing his Pointer Sister shimmy, and Culture Club x 2.

Since my music consumption at this time was largely through Solid Gold, there are a few other unfamiliars: Jarreau Hands and Toto's "I Won't Hold You Back."  And I don't know that I've heard the Champaign track since it was out.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 16, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
BOS1 Champaign's lovely *other* hit, the unjustly forgotten "Try Again".

WOS2 Journey -- if only they'd gone their "Separate Ways" a lot sooner.  BOS2 Stephen Bishop's sweet, Oscar-nommed "It Might Be You", from Tootsie. I had just started dating someone when this was charting, so it had special meaning at the time. Speaking of Oscars, I caught 1974's Claudine on cable yesterday -- the movie that gave us Gladys & the Pips doing the Curtis Mayfield-penned "On & On" -- Curtis got robbed by the Academy TWICE in 2 years!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 16, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »

Since my music consumption at this time was largely through Solid Gold, there are a few other unfamiliars: Jarreau Hands...

Mornin', little Cheerio!/Mornin' Mr Gazzio!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 16, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
"You tell a story like Tokyo Rose / I got a picture from the stains on your clothes."  Um, ewww.  This Canuck extra was peculiar.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
"You tell a story like Tokyo Rose / I got a picture from the stains on your clothes."  Um, ewww.  This Canuck extra was peculiar.

LOL! My thoughts exactly. (apparently the band is called Idle Eyes) But some of the Canadian extras are quite interesting, and you get to hear an obscure BNLs song nearly every week.

Ha! The Tubes justify their sell-out! BOS3 H&O and their video-game sounds on "Family Man"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:18:05 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
BOS3 H&O and their video-game sounds on "Family Man"

Video-game effects in the video, too.  TANC: The other day my friend Andy was raving about the Mike Oldfield original.  Sounds quite similar to this.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 16, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
It's childish, but I still giggle when Ronnie Milsap sings, "Somebody here that I can't see."  You don't say, Ronnie.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
BOS to Sergio Mendes (imperfect production but great melody), Elton John doing his Pointer Sister shimmy, and Culture Club x 2.

That song will forever be linked in my mind to the infamous WPLJ format switch in May of '83.  'PLJ had been a very successful (and tightly-playlisted) album-rocker for over a decade; they consistently pummelled the competition, free-form WNEW-FM. But they quite unexpectedly switched to Top 40 in '83 -- a few months before Z-100 made its debut with the same format.  I was in my car, punched up 'PLJ expecting to hear Styx and there was Sergio Mendes! I nearly drove off the road.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »
WOS3 Styx, ripping off a melody from Barry M's "Can't Smile Without You"!

BOS4 Casey's feature about "Always Something There To Remind Me" with clips of previous versions, including RB Greaves. Nice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:43:01 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 16, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
I didn't know the Lou Johnson (who?) or Sandie Shaw versions of "Always Something There to Remind Me," nor that they had charted in the U.S.  Can't believe Dionne was only able to take it to #65.  R.B. Greaves' is the weakest of the lot, Naked Eyes' the best.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
I didn't know the Lou Johnson (who?) or Sandie Shaw versions of "Always Something There to Remind Me," nor that they had charted in the U.S.  Can't believe Dionne was only able to take it to #65. 

Dionne's was actually the B-side of "Who is Gonna Love Me?", her #33 follow-up to "...San Jose". Too many wo-wo-wo's for one year, I guess.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 16, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »
uber-BOS5 Culture Club's "T(COTH)", easily one of the loveliest records to come out of the "2nd British Invasion".

can't remember giving WOS to 2 songs by the same artist in one countdown before, but: heeeere's "Mr Roboto"!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:22:20 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
"Just thinkin' about you, baby... just blows mah mind", sez Lionel Richie. But listening to him sing sappy ballads... just blows.

and speaking of sappy ballads: Toto, "I Won't Hold You Back"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:45:58 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »
This week's heads-up...

Casey's '70s goes to May 22nd 1976:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/05-22-76.pdf

and the '80s version is from May 23rd 1987:

http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/052387.html

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: May 22, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »
missed the fist couple songs, Eric Carmen and Boz

some good funkay stuff here!

Like Johnnie Taylor and his Disco Lay-day, never get tired of that, but  The Brass Construction's Movin' doesn't date well, methinks. Cate Bros' Union Man is just great, vocals are Isley-esque.  Take them out and the music will be as dated at Movin'.

Jimmy Dean's IOU is pretty dang sappy, but you cannot deny a man's tribute to his mother.  It's NTM and I can see why it's not a classic -- or is it?
~CPL593H~