Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414626 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2130 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
bose-de-bose-de-BOP! BOS DLR, audaciously turning the MTV generation on to the joys of Louis Prima.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
aaack: WOS1 Kenny Loggins' "I'm Alright"-meets-"Footloose" concoction, "Vox Humana".

Survivor is high on you -- couldn't possibly be the drugs, guys.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:52:46 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
BOS2 "Axel F" -- damn I wish AL would play this in her next instrumentals set.

WOSes 2 and 3 to the Firm's "Radio-unattractive" and Crapton's rever-man, rever-man, rever-man.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 18, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
aaack: WOS1 Kenny Loggins' "I'm Alright"-meets-"Footloose" concoction, "Vox Humana".

This was the heart of my Top 40 and AT40 listening era, so I remember everything on this chart very vividly.  Surprised that Casey refers to TFF as a four-man band - I thought they were always credited as a duo.  As for "Vox Humana," I liked it when it came out, but you've nailed how it was cobbled together, and there's not a lot of song beneath that overlayered overproduction.

BOS to Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude," though it always bugged me that instead of coming up with another rhyme, the songwriter(s) went with "oo-ooo, oo-ooo oooh" in the refrain.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »

This was the heart of my Top 40 and AT40 listening era, so I remember everything on this chart very vividly.  Surprised that Casey refers to TFF as a four-man band - I thought they were always credited as a duo.  As for "Vox Humana," I liked it when it came out, but you've nailed how it was cobbled together, and there's not a lot of song beneath that overlayered overproduction.

BOS to Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude," though it always bugged me that instead of coming up with another rhyme, the songwriter(s) went with "oo-ooo, oo-ooo oooh" in the refrain.

And I love hearing the perspective of someone who was 13 or 14 in '85; many of these tunes are rarities or NTM. Even tho' I listened to a fair share of NYC's Z-100, I was more concentrated on the alt-rock stations; I worked weekends and didn't hear AT40 that often during the mid-'80s; and I rarely saw MTV until cable finally made it to the outer boroughs in 1987.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
Nice to hear Foreigner's "That Was Yesterday," having missed it on the Drive earlier this week.

ETA: Agent Provocateur was one of the relatively few new albums that year that my brother and I agreed on the awesomeness of.  (He turned 14 that August; I turned 13 that December.)  There was a deep album cut called "Tooth and Nail" I adored.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:16:58 PM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 18, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
Teena Marie was weaned on the Airplane and the Turtles!  She just rocked my wo-uh-oh-uh-orld.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 18, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
Surprised that Casey refers to TFF as a four-man band - I thought they were always credited as a duo. 

And he calls Sade a "group" as well.  BOS3 Lady T and her musical melting pot. Too-shay o-lay!

WOS4 Chicago, another cliched mid-'80s production tied to a generic lyric.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:31:23 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54:07 PM »
Awwww... Diana misses Marvin. But it took her a year to say so? WTF?

Gotta bail soon, but I'll stick around long enuf to hear Mr Head bang his, er, kok.

SFGuy

« Reply #2139 on: April 18, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
The sound bite of Casey (80's show) playing Muhammad Ali's version of Stand by Me didn't sound like him (side note: the entire song is available on You Tube).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 18, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
Am I crazy, or does the Staples' "Oh La Di Da" sound like the Osmonds' "Down By The Lazy River"?

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm listening to the WODS replay, and damn, you're right!  "What are you doing tonight!" demanded Merrill.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 19, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
Am I crazy, or does the Staples' "Oh La Di Da" sound like the Osmonds' "Down By The Lazy River"?

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm listening to the WODS replay, and damn, you're right!  "What are you doing tonight!" demanded Merrill.

and Mavis replied: "I'm doing Bob Dylan"

Another early heads-up -- this weekend Casey's '70s does April 24th 1976:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-24-76.pdf

and Casey's '80s is from April 23rd 1988:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/04-23-88.pdf

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:45 PM »
Wow, that '88 chart has one NTM and about a dozen others that I haven't heard since that year.

History lesson for the kids: One of the songs referenced in Mariah Carey's massive '05 hit "We Belong Together" is here, Deele's "Two Occasions."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 20, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Wow, that '88 chart has one NTM and about a dozen others that I haven't heard since that year.

History lesson for the kids: One of the songs referenced in Mariah Carey's massive '05 hit "We Belong Together" is here, Deele's "Two Occasions."

Certainly more interesting than the '76 chart, which isn't exactly overflowing with songs I'm dying to hear, save the forgotten EWF tune and the Ohio Players' "Fopp".

as to '88: Scarlet & Black's "You Don't Know" is truly one of the great lost shouldabeens. A *HUGE* record on NYC's alt-rock WDRE, it really deserved better from pop stations.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:35:43 AM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2144 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »
I checked both the lists on Wikipedia for the 70s and 80s Casey shows and they appear to be on the list to be deleted.