Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1414403 times)

kahunaburger

• Rambler
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1725 on: December 07, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
    Link for original cue sheets for AT40.                                                                                         http://www.charismusicgroup.com/calendar.htm
The Hits From Coast To Coast

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »
Kahuna and Wayback, I need you and Mike and any other 10@10ers who listen to these in joining me in petitioning to Jambi that we get a 1972 set sometime in the next 3 weekends.  I've been longing for 2 years to hear a set on or around my birthdate (12/15/72) to hear what the world sounded like on that day.  No luck so far.  Not optimistic now since there seems to be a black hole in recovering '73 charts of late autumn.  But we'll see.

Meantime, looking forward to "Just to Be Close to You" (Aw!!) and "Love So Right" (Bee Gees falsetto stratosphere clinic, second only to tender "Fanny").
   I've got some great news for you Gazoo.  I've gotten advance word through the grapevine that this weekends upcoming countdown will be from December 16, 1972.   Happy Birthday!!!                                         http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-16-72.pdf                                                                      By the way the B side of "Angel" that was mistakenly played was "Los Paraguayos" not "What Made Milwaukee Famous (Made a Loser Out of Me)".

Oh, wow!!  Hurray!!  And thank you - and your source!!

Many major sledgehammers for me in this set, interestingly enough.  And two NTMs (in addition to the Mod Rod B-side, which I'd never even heard of until now, so wow^wow): Dennis Yost's "What Am I Crying For" at #39 and Neil Diamond's "Walk on Water" at #21.  (I never knew how much Neil I've skipped!  In most cases with good reason, it seems.)

So "Summer Breeze" was a December hit, eh?  Wonders never cease.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #1727 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
Kahuna and Wayback, I need you and Mike and any other 10@10ers who listen to these in joining me in petitioning to Jambi that we get a 1972 set sometime in the next 3 weekends.  I've been longing for 2 years to hear a set on or around my birthdate (12/15/72) to hear what the world sounded like on that day.  No luck so far.  Not optimistic now since there seems to be a black hole in recovering '73 charts of late autumn.  But we'll see.

Meantime, looking forward to "Just to Be Close to You" (Aw!!) and "Love So Right" (Bee Gees falsetto stratosphere clinic, second only to tender "Fanny").
   I've got some great news for you Gazoo.  I've gotten advance word through the grapevine that this weekends upcoming countdown will be from December 16, 1972.   Happy Birthday!!!                                         http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-16-72.pdf                                                                      By the way the B side of "Angel" that was mistakenly played was "Los Paraguayos" not "What Made Milwaukee Famous (Made a Loser Out of Me)".

Oh, wow!!  Hurray!!  And thank you - and your source!!

Many major sledgehammers for me in this set, interestingly enough.  And two NTMs (in addition to the Mod Rod B-side, which I'd never even heard of until now, so wow^wow): Dennis Yost's "What Am I Crying For" at #39 and Neil Diamond's "Walk on Water" at #21.  (I never knew how much Neil I've skipped!  In most cases with good reason, it seems.)

So "Summer Breeze" was a December hit, eh?  Wonders never cease.

Maybe "Summer Breeze" was a tribute to an Australian summer  :D, which does begin in December.

SFGuy

« Reply #1728 on: December 08, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »
    Link for original cue sheets for AT40.                                                                                         http://www.charismusicgroup.com/calendar.htm

I find these cue sheets very interesting. Gives us a look at how the show was produced.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: December 08, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
Kahuna and Wayback, I need you and Mike and any other 10@10ers who listen to these in joining me in petitioning to Jambi that we get a 1972 set sometime in the next 3 weekends.  I've been longing for 2 years to hear a set on or around my birthdate (12/15/72) to hear what the world sounded like on that day.  No luck so far.  Not optimistic now since there seems to be a black hole in recovering '73 charts of late autumn.  But we'll see.

I've got some great news for you Gazoo.  I've gotten advance word through the grapevine that this weekends upcoming countdown will be from December 16, 1972.   Happy Birthday!!!                                         http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-16-72.pdf                                                                      By the way the B side of "Angel" that was mistakenly played was "Los Paraguayos" not "What Made Milwaukee Famous (Made a Loser Out of Me)".

Oh, wow!!  Hurray!!  And thank you - and your source!!

Your wish is granted! Long Live Jambi!

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: December 08, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
Mekka-lekka-hi, mekka hiney-ho!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:58 AM »
I'm sure these replays are set months ahead, but there's a good chance we'll have a 12/72 show!  Here's the chart from 12/16/72:

36: SUNNY DAYS - LIGHTHOOUSE

just noticed the above misspelling -- pretty funny, since they're Canadian, eh?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »
  I've got some great news for you Gazoo. This weekend's countdown will be from December 16, 1972.   Happy Birthday!!!  http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-16-72.pdf   By the way the B side of "Angel" that was mistakenly played was "Los Paraguayos" not "What Made Milwaukee Famous (Made a Loser Out of Me)".
Excellent!  Don'tcha love the diverse sounds & artists of ol' school Top 40:
"AMERICAN TOP 40" from December 16, 1972
(chart posted on this thread, page 114)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:07:17 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: December 12, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
That "Los Paraguayos" thing by Rod the Mod sounded vaguely familiar, but it's surely been years.  And "What Am I Crying For?' by the late great Mr Yost and his Classics IV is lovely; early VHM to that. Ditto the JT: "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonite" was a fave of mine at the time.  (The Isleys' cover of it is even more fabulous.)

Yacht-apricot-gavotte: James is back-to-back with his missus, on her way to #1 with the wife of a clothespin.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: December 12, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »
Gary Glitter's "I Didn't Know I Loved You (Till I Saw You Rock'N'Roll)" is quite a haven't-heard-this-in-ages blast from the past -- didn't Joan Jett cover this?  The only times I ever heard the BeeGees' completely forgotten "Alive" was on AT40; ignored by NYC radio at the time.

BOS1 the 5-D's gorgeous "If I Could Reach You" -- my love for this one is well-documented.

Oh Carole! I am but a fool for you at your introspective best on "Been To Canaan".  BOS2.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: December 12, 2009, 08:21:26 PM »
BOS3 "Long Dark Road", the Hollies back in fine harmonic form after their detour into CCR/T-Rex territory.

"Ken Loggins with Jim Messina" is how they're billed on the chart -- Joe Mama don't dance.

BOS4 one of my fave forgotten Cat Stevens hits, "Sitting", which is something of a sledgehammer. And I'm a sucker for Neil Diamond when he's in look-how-serious-I-am mode; VHM "Walk on Water".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: December 12, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
The VHMs keep comin': The J-5 go Broadway on "Corner of the Sky", from Pippin. Motown was a major investor in that show -- coincidence?  And the Four Tops begin their big ABC Records comeback with "Keeper of the Castle". But Bread's "Sweet Surrender" is a major flashback. I remember seeing Steve & Eydie do a cover of it on the Merv Griffin show!

I had no use for The Osmonds in late '72; I thought "Crazy Horses" was a silly-sounding attempt by them to sound "heavy", and Merrill just yells -- but honestly, I didn't find out until decades later that it was a song about cars and pollution. Mormon environmentalists! Who knew?

Yeah, there's something wrong with Austin Roberts, alright. And -- sorry, Gaz -- uber-WOS to an all-time HFH, "Funny Face". Saccharine country-pop at its worst, and that affected little-girliness in her voice could cause diabetes and toothaches simultaneously. Truly horrid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:10:21 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
BOS3 "Long Dark Road", the Hollies back in fine harmonic form after their detour into CCR/T-Rex territory.
....And I'm a sucker for Neil Diamond when he's in look-how-serious-I-am mode; VHM "Walk on Water".

agree with these and Gary Glitter and Fifth Dimension, too!

another BOS to Jethro Tull Living In The Past -- which is what we're all doing here anyway! -- too bad it was the 90 second version.  dang radio edits...
~CPL593H~

SFGuy

« Reply #1738 on: December 13, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
Casey's 80s show was from December 19, 1981. He would do his top 100 of 1981 the next two weeks then take a break. The guest DJ for the 1st show of 1982 was Bob Eubanks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
My birthday set was a great thrill.  Can't give a BOS vote, enjoyed the whole thing.  (Except "Crazy Horses," sheesh.)