Author Topic: 12 Nov 2009: eek, another classic - 1985  (Read 11574 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Nov 2009: eek, another classic - 1985
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
And we actually get to hear Dave's backsell!!! Yay! (Hope Dave's agent doesn't find out.)

note that Webster's post-backsell backsell said "for the setlist go to the website" -- methinks that was meant to replace Dave, not follow him.  Oops.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
BOS #3 Kate Bush.  Insert tragic anecdote that I don't have time for as now I really have to jump in the car and head south.

This story has stuck with me ever since you first told me about it.  Has everyone here heard it?  I don't remember enough details to retell, just the payoff.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
Philomath is where I'll go.

I never noticed that line before, but damned if that isn't what he's singing. Apparently there's a Philomath in Georgia as well as the one outside Corvallis, OR. 'Cept that, according to Google Maps it appears to be little more than a wide spot in the road.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
BOS #3 Kate Bush.  Insert tragic anecdote that I don't have time for as now I really have to jump in the car and head south.

This story has stuck with me ever since you first told me about it.  Has everyone here heard it?  I don't remember enough details to retell, just the payoff.
I was wondering what this was.  Any clues?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »

I was wondering what this was.  Any clues?

At the risk of being off on the details: Someone was swimming in a lake, and a jet skier darted through, hitting the person in the head, and skiing away instead of providing help.  That person suffered brain injury as a result - and on the occasion Mshray recalls, called a radio station to request this song, dedicating it to the person who'd hit and run.

"If I only could, I'd make a deal with God, and I'd get him to swap our places," indeed.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

Philomath ...
Lawyer Jeff
etc.

I just think it's completely amazing that you guys can actually make out ANY of the lyrics Stipe is singing (except for the refrain and opening lie "When the world is your monster...").  To me, this song is one big mumbly-mumble.

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:01 AM »

At the risk of being off on the details: Someone was swimming in a lake, and a jet skier darted through, hitting the person in the head, and skiing away instead of providing help.  That person suffered brain injury as a result - and on the occasion Mshray recalls, called a radio station to request this song, dedicating it to the person who'd hit and run.

"If I only could, I'd make a deal with God, and I'd get him to swap our places," indeed.

The only details you are off on is that it was in San Diego's Mission Bay, not a lake, and she'd been windsurfing & taken a spill, not just swimming.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:45:54 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
11/12/09 - Thursday!  Today's "Classic" 10@10 is from...1985!!!

1.  Godley & Creme - Cry
   2.  U2 - Three Sunrises
   3.  John Mellencamp - Justice & Independence '85
   4.  Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
   5.  A-Ha - Take On Me
   6.  Huey Lewis & the News - Power of Love
   7.  REM - Can't Get There From Here
   8.  Cock Robin - When Your Heart is Weak
   9.  Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
 10.  Jan Hammer - Miami Vice Theme

BONUS TRACK:  Dire Straits - The Man's Too Strong
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round