Author Topic: I'm Travellin' Light  (Read 19485 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:42:20 PM »
hello, all. i've been in bed with the flu for the past three days, but here's the first installment. i've found the perfect wireless spot, so hopefully i'll be tuning in soon!
kisses,
poc

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
hello, all. i've been in bed with the flu for the past three days, but here's the first installment. i've found the perfect wireless spot, so hopefully i'll be tuning in soon!
kisses,
poc

Jennifer Aniston must have one hell of an agent...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
kisses,
poc

Jennifer Aniston must have one hell of an agent...

herve villechaize, perhaps?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:01:21 PM »
When you get out of bed, please tell me if Kalverstraat is anything like what I remember it being from my stay in Amsterdam 27 years ago (it was where all the sex clubs were, and while my host family didn't take 16-year-old Mark there at night, walking down it in the late morning was enough to freak out my uber-uptight host-mother, which delighted the 16-year-old Mark no end).

When you get a chance to do a day trip out of town, find Naarden on a map & ask someone how to get there.   You won't regret it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »
Travel update please!!
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 04:50:37 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Travel update please!!

well, there hasn't been much travelling going on. i haven't been to kalverstraat. if it's anywhere in or near the red light, i probably won't be there until guests arrive. i avoid most of the trendy areas of town. i go to school on spuistraat, and work for a comedy club in the leidseplein, so i have my fill of busy tourist areas.

hmm...what's the schedule? i work on mondays, wednesdays, and thursdays, promoting for boom chicago - an improv comedy show. they pay me, give me free beer, and feed me! i have dutch classes on monday and thursday evenings. the rest of my time is spent playing guitar in vondelpark, studying, exercising, and walking about town. i've yet to buy a fiets (bicycle) - that will dramatically improve my life here.

i stop at the local shops in the morning for breakfast after i go running. i buy yoghurt, cheese, salami, bread, fruit, veggies - whatever i think i might eat during the day. there's a laundryhouse around the corner from my house. they wash my clothes in three hours flat! the video store has a wonderful "foreign" section, as you might imagine.

i can watch belgian, french, british, and dutch television on cable. i live with a british woman and a swedish woman. my new friend from class is german. she speaks french, too. and so on...

it's a beautiful day, and i'm stuck indoors for some strange reason. i should go out soon, though, because the weather forecast calls for rain this evening. there's lots of free music about town, though, so i shouldn't be bored.

i live on the albert cuyp straat market. it's a daily market with food, cloths, knick-knacks. it's about four blocks long. always busy. and there's some horrible upright bassist who plays and sings "the joker" everytime i walk by. i swear it's just for me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 12:05:07 PM »
there's some horrible upright bassist who plays and sings "the joker" everytime i walk by. i swear it's just for me.

Some people call him the Spaetzle Cowboy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 12:59:37 PM »
there's some horrible upright bassist who plays and sings "the joker" everytime i walk by. i swear it's just for me.

Maybe "pompatus" means something in Dutch?
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 11:57:12 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Maybe "pompatus" means something in Dutch?

You guys are too quick. Looking past Steve Miller, I now have Rhinestone Cowboy in my head with Spaetzle Cowboy lyrics forming. Must go drink more Amstel.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »
fun at the lake today.. - click on the photo to access more pictures.

some friends and i celebrating nol's (the tall one with longer hair) birthday at his parents' house in...outside of hilversum. i don't think the place has an official name.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 03:28:23 PM »

some friends and i celebrating nol's (the tall one with longer hair) birthday at his parents' house in...outside of hilversum. i don't think the place has an official name.

I have never seen anyone successfully hold a cat like that in my life.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 09:50:12 PM »

Wonderful!
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »

Nice pics--I gather you've been having warm weather?

The older woman next to the woman holding the cat looks like Paul Kantner in drag. And the woman holding the cat---rrrRROOOWWRR! Particularly the shot of her steering the boat, and showing off her muscles.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:16:31 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Nice pics--I gather you've been having warm weather?

The older woman next to the woman holding the cat looks like Paul Kantner in drag. And the woman holding the cat---rrrRROOOWWRR! Particularly the shot of her steering the boat, and showing off her muscles.

i've good taste, no?  :twisted:

you should see the napsack she uses to carry the cat around her neck. i've never seen a cat so tamed.

paul kantner - that's it! i was going crazy yesterday trying to figure it out. i kept coming up with a mix between lily tomlin and penny marshall.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm Travellin' Light
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
When you get out of bed, please tell me if Kalverstraat is anything like what I remember it being from my stay in Amsterdam 27 years ago (it was where all the sex clubs were, and while my host family didn't take 16-year-old Mark there at night, walking down it in the late morning was enough to freak out my uber-uptight host-mother, which delighted the 16-year-old Mark no end).

no sex clubs. all shop 'til you drop.