Author Topic: Viva Amazon  (Read 8995 times)

Anonymous

Viva Amazon
« on: February 07, 2005, 03:13:35 PM »
Amazon brought happiness to me via a big box of CDs, DVD, and even a book. I got a little carried away. Current CD is making me think of Gaz.
It's a 2-CD Jefferson Airplane, Starship, and Jefferson Starship hits.
Currently enjoying disc 2:
Miracles
With Your Love
Count On Me
Runaway
Jane
Find Your Way Back.... Finished disc one with Ride the Tiger.

Previously got my dose of Teddy via the Ultimate Blue Notes disc. mmmm good.

Dave Alvin, King of California waiting in the wings.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »
Guest is me. I always forget to log in.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Viva Amazon
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 03:56:02 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Dave Alvin, King of California waiting in the wings.

A great, great record. Just saw him a week or so back at the GAMH. I'll be curious to hear what you think.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »
I'm so glad you're enjoying that material.  My adoration of the JA/JS family knows no bounds.

At the same time, I'm glad I enforce upon myself a "no impulse buying on the Internet" rule in this household.  My CD collection would go from 1250 to 2500 faster than 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:54:07 PM »
Enjoyed Dave Alvin. Hard to pay close attention while working but I liked what I heard. Tomoorows line up is Concert for George and The Name of This Band is Talking Heads.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 08:39:26 AM »
amazon brought me everybody's boppin' by lambert, hendricks and ross yesterday. my, my, my...

off to see mose allison this evening at yoshi's. between the concert and the cd, i think i'll swing myself right to birdland.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 08:46:57 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
amazon brought me everybody's boppin' by lambert, hendricks and ross yesterday. my, my, my...

"Man , the chick is twisted -- flip city!"  

It that a compilation or just one of their albums?  Love the original of "Cloudburst".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

"Man , the chick is twisted -- flip city!"  

It that a compilation or just one of their albums?  Love the original of "Cloudburst".

i think it must be a compilation. i glanced at the liner notes, and it had that feel to it. plus it's full of hits ('twisted,' 'cloudburst,' 'come on home'), so i'd guess so.

i've also been listening to madeleine peyroux, preparing for the concert on friday. she's been wandering into my world with a blast. first marcy levy tells me she's opening for her on friday...then a friend in germany told me yesterday that he's going to be in her trio for a european tour. small world...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 09:03:09 AM »
i think it must be a compilation. i glanced at the liner notes, and it had that feel to it. plus it's full of hits ('twisted,' 'cloudburst,' 'come on home'), so i'd guess so.

there was a revival of interest in them back in the mid-'70s, thanks to Joni's "Twisted" and the Pointers' "Cloudburst".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 09:08:27 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

there was a revival of interest in them back in the mid-'70s, thanks to Joni's "Twisted" and the Pointers' "Cloudburst".

yes, this was the first time i'd heard their versions.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 10:56:13 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Tomoorows line up is Concert for George and The Name of This Band is Talking Heads.

Can't speak for the Concert for George, but The Name of This Band... would have made my "Criminally Unavailable on CD" list up until last year when Rhino finally put it out...with a TON of bonus tracks. That and the Faces "Five Guys Walk Into a Bar..." box were my two Reissues of the Year.

Another great score, Ali--you really got some gems.

But Amazon can be a dangerous thing (I know what Gaz means about impulse internet purchases). Then again, so can a trip to Amoeba.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 11:03:06 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

But Amazon can be a dangerous thing (I know what Gaz means about impulse internet purchases). Then again, so can a trip to Amoeba.

Amen to that.  I put myself on Amazon restriction every now and then.  And avoid record stores completely.

"Record stores" -- there I go, showing my age again.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Viva Amazon
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 11:05:41 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

"Record stores" -- there I go, showing my age again.

what else would they be called? i always say, 'i'm going to the record store.' (even though i'm on restriction, too - especially from ebay) i couldn't imagine referring to them as anything else.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Jefferson Airplane article
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 07:53:37 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I'm so glad you're enjoying that material.  My adoration of the JA/JS family knows no bounds.

At the same time, I'm glad I enforce upon myself a "no impulse buying on the Internet" rule in this household.  My CD collection would go from 1250 to 2500 faster than 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds.

I ran across an extremely lengthy, but thouroughly interesting (for Airplane fans like Gaz and me) blog.  I suggest you check it out!

http://freewayjam.blogspot.com/2005/06/weekly-artist-overview-jefferson.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!