Author Topic: R.I.P. Tom Lantos  (Read 2215 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Tom Lantos
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
He was my congressman when I lived in the Sunset, so I got to vote for him a couple times.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/11/MNIDV09VH.DTL
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Tom Lantos
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
He was my congressman until he passed away--Geoff's too, I'd guess. I didn't agree with everything he did, but I voted for him every time he came up for reelection.

And now Arnie gets to appoint an interim replacement, who, it would seem, would have a leg up when the seat comes up for election in November. Jackie Speier's announced for it, not sure if anyone else has. But if Arnie decides to stick to party lines, he could potentially turn what had been a long-time Demo seat over to the GOP.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »
He was my congressman until he passed away--Geoff's too, I'd guess. I didn't agree with everything he did, but I voted for him every time he came up for reelection.

And now Arnie gets to appoint an interim replacement, who, it would seem, would have a leg up when the seat comes up for election in November. Jackie Speier's announced for it, not sure if anyone else has. But if Arnie decides to stick to party lines, he could potentially turn what had been a long-time Demo seat over to the GOP.

go, jackie, go!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »

go, jackie, go!
wow, that was fast!  Yes, he was mine too, and I didn't always agree either, but he was basically a good man.  He had his principles, and I never felt like he was some crooked politician.  Arnie will have to appoint some pretty centrist GOP person if he wants it to stick.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
Time's "Swampland" blog had very nice things to say about him:

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/02/tom_lantos.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”