Author Topic: CG/KPOO/WLNG Week of 1/9/06  (Read 10449 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/WLNG Week of 1/9/06
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »
JJ's playing some MLK tape I have never heard. "God did not call this country to do what it's doing in the world today!" Amen!

Followed by the Jones Girls, "I Just Love the Man". "Girl, I'm not tryin' to get in yo' business..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 04:34:34 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
and now KPOO's JJ doin' his soul thang. Marvin Banks (?) doing a rather slavish cover of "What's Goin' On?"  I wonder how many of today's kids think that lyric is "mama mama... we don't need an Escalade". LOL!

i wonder how many of today's kids really think they *don't* need an escalade?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
MLK
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
and now KPOO's JJ doin' his soul thang. Marvin Banks (?) doing a rather slavish cover of "What's Goin' On?"  I wonder how many of today's kids think that lyric is "mama mama... we don't need an Escalade". LOL!

The irony is that I'm looking forward to Sunday, when we get to do a lot of music at church relating to MLK, and how I'm looking to him for help and inspiration on how to handle the kids who call me racist to my face at school.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: MLK
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

The irony is that I'm looking forward to Sunday, when we get to do a lot of music at church relating to MLK, and how I'm looking to him for help and inspiration on how to handle the kids who call me racist to my face at school.

It seems that a lot of people, particularly inarticulate youth, inorrectly suggest "racist" = "you don't get my culture."  I'd guess that those kids are just trying to express the frustration that what's meaningful and relevant in their worlds isn't deemed meaningful and relevant by the systems around them.  Only thing I can say, Geoff, with my sympathy for your situation, is (a) don't take it personally; and (b) bone up on your Young Jeezy.  He's the hot shit right now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
It seems that a lot of people, particularly inarticulate youth, inorrectly suggest "racist" = "you don't get my culture."  I'd guess that those kids are just trying to express the frustration that what's meaningful and relevant in their worlds isn't deemed meaningful and relevant by the systems around them.  Only thing I can say, Geoff, with my sympathy for your situation, is (a) don't take it personally; and (b) bone up on your Young Jeezy.  He's the hot shit right now.

it seems like it's a way to deflect personal responsibility, and make it my fault they are having problems.  Young Jeezy?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Young Jeezy?

He dated Young Weezy before she met George Jefferson. :wink:

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
Saturday nite with JJ on KPOO: Pointers, "Betcha Got a Chick on the Side", which I haven't heard in years.  Followed by the Miracles, "Do It Baby" and Tower of Power's fabulous, not-heard-often-enough "This Time It's Real", the follow-up to "So Very Hard to Go".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 10:58:41 PM »
Saturday nite with JJ on KPOO: Pointers, "Betcha Got a Chick on the Side", which I haven't heard in years.  Followed by the Miracles, "Do It Baby" and Tower of Power's fabulous, not-heard-often-enough "This Time It's Real", the follow-up to "So Very Hard to Go".

The first time I ever heard "Do It Baby," I assumed it was a Diana Ross followup to "Love Hangover."  Was amazed to learn who it was.

Oh shit, my EMP proposal is due in under 48 hours . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”